avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Only 4 Canuck players have played all 50 games - Granlund, Horvat, Eriksson, and Virtanen

Guess its down to three now for next game.

Interesting that Virty was an extra...fighting through injury or message sending by Green?

What's the message? Stop playing so well? Be more like goldobin lol?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Only 4 Canuck players have played all 50 games - Granlund, Horvat, Eriksson, and Virtanen

Interesting that Virty was an extra...fighting through injury or message sending by Green?

showcasing Goldy before the extended break maybe? there should be a lot of scouts in the building on wednesday, not to mention a possible deal with Carolina. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

showcasing Goldy before the extended break maybe? there should be a lot of scouts in the building on wednesday, not to mention a possible deal with Carolina. 

That has to be the reason. Jake's been playing great. Hopefully Benning gets something solid for Goldobin.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jake could use the break.  This playing guys all 82 games, with the speed of today's game, is crazy to me.  We should try to give guys rest, especially now we have depth.  

Got the assist last night but hasn’t stood out much aside from the Florida game and going after Matheson, maybe feeling a little comfortable

18 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Got the assist last night but hasn’t stood out much aside from the Florida game and going after Matheson, maybe feeling a little comfortable

He does seem to respond well to slaps in the face. Getting insulted seems to energize him.

• Upvote 2

I've found that ever since Jake scored his career high 11th goal, he's almost reverted back to the old Jake. He's back to skating like the wind down the side boards, trying to go end to end to score, not properly using his team mates. I do enjoy seeing him hand out big hits though.   

Is this the last opportunity for Goldobin?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

My first thought was that maybe Jake is ill or injured.

But, Goldy was always going to get another chance and this is probably the right time as he is at risk of losing his timing and sharpness if he stays out much longer, especially with the all-star break coming up.

The question is, why Jake? I was kind of expecting Granlund to sit. It would not make sense for Goldy to take Granlund's spot on the Sutter's shutdown line, but Leivo could move down to make room for Goldy with Horvat.

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've found that ever since Jake scored his career high 11th goal, he's almost reverted back to the old Jake. He's back to skating like the wind down the side boards, trying to go end to end to score, not properly using his team mates. I do enjoy seeing him hand out big hits though.   

On 1/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, HomeBrew said:

Everyone’s best career move would be to move onto Pettersson’s wing...

Good call by Zhukini and Nucker on Jake's play.

Relative to last year, Jake is playing much better defensively and is much more consistent in terms of defense and physical play. And his contributions to the physical game are valuable, as is his speed.

But, he has not been getting to the front of the net as effectively as he was earlier in the season. As Nucker says, we have seen too many plays where he carries the puck down the wing at speed but nothing comes of it. He needs to carry the puck to the net or made a good pass to set up a shot. I realize that is not easy and that it requires a lot of energy and focus. But that is what Jake needs to do to be a good player. Also, I have noticed Jake looking maybe too "happy" and not "hungry" enough in terms of his body language. (Don't ask me why hockey players should not look happy.)

So maybe this is a message to Jake or maybe it is just a chance to give Jake a rest to re-focus.

As for Goldy, playing him with Horvat is the right call. Playing him in the bottom six in unlikely to "give him a chance to succeed". He is a classic "top 6 or bust" kind of player. But putting him beside EP40 and watching him pick up an assist or have a positive plus/minus does not tell us anything. As HomeBrew impliles, a pilon would look good playing beside EP (kind of like Fred Astaire dancing with a coat-rack, just in case anyone else has ever seen that).

I am not sure if this is Goldy's last chance. Probably not a single game. But if he gets a few games I think it is "make or break" time.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think so but all that takes is the right trade talks and another team wants him included on a deal and it's game over for his canucks career. I think it's a good plan for him to start scoring a few goals in 2019 however.

I don't know what is going on with Jake but more time needed. 

I would think that if you wanted to showcase Goldolbin for a trade , he’s more likely to get points with Pettersson than Horvat. 

Maybe Bo and Leivo will make Goldy’s forechecking and defensive deficiencies less noticeable .

Edited by Toyotasfan

Jake has hit the point in his career where production is an expectation. I've been giving him a bit of a pass lately because he's been on the shutdown line with the offensive black hole Sutter, but Jake is getting a message that he is expected to produce now, up and down the lineup. Here's hoping Jake takes the required next step

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Jake has hit the point in his career where production is an expectation. I've been giving him a bit of a pass lately because he's been on the shutdown line with the offensive black hole Sutter, but Jake is getting a message that he is expected to produce now, up and down the lineup. Here's hoping Jake takes the required next step

I think the people in this town like to drink,  and Jake and the  nickname gives them a reason, and the reason has been much too long for the liking ;)

But, I thought I heard Green saying that's not the case (unless he didn't mean it) ?

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, HomeBrew said:

Everyone’s best career move would be to move onto Pettersson’s wing...

Rumour has it Burrows is thinking about unretiring and coming back to play on Petey's wing.  He will have some competition however as Jason King and Anson Carter are thinking about doing the same thing...

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He does seem to respond well to slaps in the face. Getting insulted seems to energize him.

By whom?    CDC?

All this talk about Virtanen being insulted?   Where is this coming from?    My read is Green and the coaching staff are as high on him as ever and simply want him to be more consistent.   What is so odd about that with a young player?   

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

By whom?    CDC?

All this talk about Virtanen being insulted?   Where is this coming from?    My read is Green and the coaching staff are as high on him as ever and simply want him to be more consistent.   What is so odd about that with a young player?   

@Rob_Zepp

Heard Auld this morning on our local Canuck's radio station mention that Goldy has a bit of a reputation as a drill's wrecker in practice.  Auld said that guys who constantly make mistakes during drills (I'm assuming mental errors, and lack of effort) frustrate their teammates to the point of actually pissing them off.   Did you ever see that?  

Could Goldy be that immature?  

34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

By whom?    CDC?

I think the comment was more in line with the 'carrot' (reward) vs 'stick' (punishment) methods of motivation. Last year JV got a lot of 'stick' and generally responded well. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/17/2019 at 10:07 PM, BigTramFan said:

Just curious...

Green doesn’t seem to have tried putting Virtanen on LW with Pettersson. He seems to have the physical attributes and skill set to be able to fill this role.

Why not?

Surely he could learn some truculence and be shown how to fight if required.

I feel this kind of role may be the best path for Virt’s career. 

JV with EP has been a trainwreck, he makes EP play worse, there was a big analysis of this done on TSN a while ago. 

JV lacks any offensive prowess the last couple of months, better be sending him a message that he should be producing far more offensively, we have enough shutdown guys so if he's going to try and fill that niche we may as well trade him.

Just now, Alflives said:

@Rob_Zepp

Heard Auld this morning on our local Canuck's radio station mention that Goldy has a bit of a reputation as a drill's wrecker in practice.  Auld said that guys who constantly make mistakes during drills (I'm assuming mental errors, and lack of effort) frustrate their teammates to the point of actually pissing them off.   Did you ever see that?  

Could Goldy be that immature?  

First, don't think it is always immaturity but yeah, there are always a guy or three on a team that ruin certain drills.   St Louis drill is one for sure that has to have tempo and timing to work right and some guys seem incapable of "getting it" even if they have been doing it since five years old.   I have always put part of it up to nerves - believe it or not, practices are actually more difficult than games sometimes (frequently actually).   In a game, you react to what another team is doing.   In a practice, you have multiple coaches looking at YOU and then can stop the practice at any point and make you more than just a little uncomfortable so some guys squeeze sticks a little harder.    Seen it a ton and my guess it still happens - perhaps Goldy is one of those guys.   Again, I don't think it is a maturity issues all the time but have seen that too - but usually the rest of the guys help get that out of your system if you have it by not responding in kind.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think the comment was more in line with the 'carrot' (reward) vs 'stick' (punishment) methods of motivation. Last year JV got a lot of 'stick' and generally responded well. 

Why all the angst today though?   Jake has been fine - not as good as he was for a bit there but far from the worst F in the lineup and a bit snake bitten on the offence.   He sure hasn't looked to bad in the games I have watched lately so why all the chatter today?