The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

40 minutes ago, bree2 said:

nothing wrong with the way Jake dresses, all young kids dress like that. my grandson who is the same age as jake and with the same name lol dresses the same

Sure hope we don’t trade Jake.  He’s maturing into a solid hockey player, and a fine young man.  I like Jake’s Edward Scissor Hands cut-off jeans.  Now the old guy with Jake, that guy needs a complete makeover. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure hope we don’t trade Jake.  He’s maturing into a solid hockey player, and a fine young man.  I like Jake’s Edward Scissor Hands cut-off jeans.  Now the old guy with Jake, that guy needs a complete makeover. :lol:

Being in and playing in his hometown's got to be hard. I really do admire the kid for trying to become the best player he can be. 

And I hope this season's going to be another breaktrough season for him! 

If he can get to 18-20 goals, and 40 points, I'd consider that a pretty successful season. If anything more than that, then that's gravy and bonus! If he can achieve those numbers, and be defensively responsible. he's going to be alright, and i get the feeling, his confidence will just skyrocket. There may be another gear to his game, just yet, if all goes accordingly and everything goes well. Reason not to believe that he won't get to that place in his career, where he can be a 20 goal scorer, and a player who's hard to play against. Those guys are valuable especially in the postseason when the playing gets tough. And to top it all off, he's so damn fast. Hopefully, the hockey mind of his is developing along with his skillset. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

....honestly, I wasn't being serious at all...?? Sorry for the confusion folks. I was 3 coffees deep when I came up with that beauty of a remark...now i'm full of regret as no one seems to have got my joke haha. I was riffing on the fact we make ridiculous news up about Jake all the time, as people were mentioning above about false accusations of him in bars and such. Was poking fun at that in my own weird way ;)

Now I’m confused at the 3 coffees deep comment - I usually only become vaguely coherent at that point 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Lets start another hot take on Jake...what about those shorts he's wearing people!? What about those shorts? Let me tell you, Jake has no design taste what so ever! Discuss...:emot-parrot:

He can't even fit his hand into his pocket. What's the point of of shorts that tight? Pockets are meant to be pockets Jake!

lol

those shorts are a bit of a salute to the late 80's, early 90's.. looks like something I wore back in the day. I always knew my fashion sense was very cutting edge.. 

if I wasn't wearing a 50lb lard jacket, I could fit into those throwback shorts and be cool again

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nzan said:

Now I’m confused at the 3 coffees deep comment - I usually only become vaguely coherent at that point 

My wife gave me a coffee quota..she says I start jumping off into the stratosphere after 3 or 4 haha. I tend to agree with her. I'm only of coffee # 2 today...life is dull and boring...but # 3 is comin up right away :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:38 PM, -AJ- said:

Jake returning to his hometown for the world-famous Abbotsford Airshow! This photo was taken from the Abbotsford Airshow's Facebook page:

"Our Airshow President, Jim Reith, is joined by Canucks winger, Jake Virtanen. Thanks for spending the day with us yesterday, Jake! We hope you had a great time 2708.png"

67896721_10156630836055852_8885467254368

You think Jake would at least remove his sunglasses for a picture.  Looks like he needs to work on those abs too!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

SHOTGUN JAKE!

I love this.  My grandfather was a Lighthouse keeper on Mayne Island in the Gulf Islands.  Also grew up on the Sunshine coast and love fishing and being out on the water.  Is this not when Jake donated his winnings to CAN ?

What if Jake ends this season having out scored Miller and Ferland while improving his intensity and becoming a good PKer?  Miller and Ferland will probably score like they have over the last few years.  15 to 21 goals and maybe 35 to 40 points for both of them (don't get me wrong as I am glade they are here) this season.  That is what I expect from Jake this season.  Here's hoping all works out for Jake. :towel:

10 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

What if Jake ends this season having out scored Miller and Ferland while improving his intensity and becoming a good PKer?  Miller and Ferland will probably score like they have over the last few years.  15 to 21 goals and maybe 35 to 40 points for both of them (don't get me wrong as I am glade they are here) this season.  That is what I expect from Jake this season.  Here's hoping all works out for Jake. :towel:

I see Ferland and Miller (playing 75 games) considering who they will be playing with scoring 20 plus goals and 50 plus points.

I see Jake playing on the third line with Baer and Sutter/Gaudette.  I see him on the PK too.  However, consider Jake’s use, I see him again scoring about 15 goals.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see Ferland and Miller (playing 75 games) considering who they will be playing with scoring 20 plus goals and 50 plus points.

I see Jake playing on the third line with Baer and Sutter/Gaudette.  I see him on the PK too.  However, consider Jake’s use, I see him again scoring about 15 goals.  

I really have to admit that I have no specific reasons for my point; its more of a gut feeling.  I am still hoping for 20 from Jake.  I am trying to figure out what kind of beer to use for my shotguns. :towel::canucks::towel:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I really have to admit that I have no specific reasons for my point; its more of a gut feeling.  I am still hoping for 20 from Jake.  I am trying to figure out what kind of beer to use for my shotguns. :towel::canucks::towel:

I really REALLY like Jake as a player.  Given opportunity he’d score 20 plus for sure.  I just think Green believes Jake can help the team more playing a different role than just as a scoring winger.  Jake is a beast, who will shine in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think your prediction for Ferland would be in line with his history, but Miller has been in the high 40s to high 50s in points each of the last three seasons. To fall below 40 points for Miller would be a precipitous drop. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think your prediction for Ferland would be in line with his history, but Miller has been in the high 40s to high 50s in points each of the last three seasons. To fall below 40 points for Miller would be a precipitous drop. 

You might be right as Miller gets more assists but his goals are hovering around 20 goals.  I would like to see miller used at center sometimes on the 3rd line.  He would help get offense out of the 3rd line.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

You might be right as Miller gets more assists but his goals are hovering around 20 goals.  I would like to see miller used at center sometimes on the 3rd line.  He would help get offense out of the 3rd line.

I have ZERO interest in seeing Miller play on the 3rd line. He is a legit 1st line player. He will play with either Petey or Bo.

JB didn't just go and trade a 1st round pick for a player they think will play on the 3rd line. That is just silly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I have ZERO interest in seeing Miller play on the 3rd line. He is a legit 1st line player. He will play with either Petey or Bo.

JB didn't just go and trade a 1st round pick for a player they think will play on the 3rd line. That is just silly.

I did say sometimes. :)

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I did say sometimes. :)

For sure. I would be surprised if he doesn't see at least some time centering the third line, whether due to injuries, penalties, line matching or whatever. A significant portion of his value is in his versatility.

• Cheers 1