The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

38 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Please add something of substance to the discussion - enough of the Jake hate already.

Jake is a lot slimmer now, but OMG he was kind of fat them, wasn’t he?   I love Jake a 100% believe he’s going to be an important piece in us winning Cups.  But still we are just having fin here, right?  Jake will NEBER read this, I’m sure, so it’s okay to h Abe fun, no?  

So sooru, Deb.   Respect you 109% but I found the scotch, so I’m just a little bit off my nit.  Bad Alf.  :blush:

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Freddy40 said:

New knickname for Jake, Jake the Cake 

F14A6BF1-E579-4017-AFF5-C381FD92FBD3.jpeg

Reporting someone for internet bullying on this board and then doing the same to a player. Is that not hypocrisy? And in Canada is that not called fat shaming?

Is that not suspension worthy?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, FaninMex said:

Reporting someone for internet bullying on this board and then doing the same to a player. Is that not hypocrisy? And in Canada is that not called fat shaming?

Is that not suspension worthy?

Does Jake look fat in this picture!  What in the hell is fat shaming anyway?  Fat, IMO, is beautiful, but for an elite NHL player fat if actually kind of ugly, right? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Does Jake look fat in this picture!  What in the hell is fat shaming anyway?  Fat, IMO, is beautiful, but for an elite NHL player fat if actually kind of ugly, right? 

It refers back to something Freddy did earlier. It was rightfully deleted by the mods as were a few response to it.

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Hahaha all from this week alone.  That is pure gold.  

I was told to unblock you to see this post and how stalkerish you are lmao. I would not expect a poster like you to provide any context when you do things like this....especially a bunch of the negative posts I responded to regarding Canuck players.

Nice one!!

Any poster on this site could look at your history and pull boatloads of utter garbage posts on a daily basis.  Anywho...this was good for a laugh...back on Block you go...where you belong!  

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You look so cool right now

I've engaged with that poster in other threads; my advice is to not bother.

-

I think Virtanen is getting to the point where what you have now is what you're going to have for the length of his career. People think there's still room for development, but he's getting older and has been a regular in the NHL for a long time. It's unlikely that he makes major strides in the way of becoming a scoring force; the best that can be hoped for is that he rounds his game, takes on a 'more energy' philosophy to it, stops shying away from contact and learns to go to the areas he so much wants to avoid. In short, we can hope that he becomes a roleplayer for the team and starts to understand that with his level of skill/ability that he's going to have to work and move his legs every shift to become the best player he has the potential to become.

Edited by 112
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, 112 said:

-

I think Virtanen is getting to the point where what you have now is what you're going to have for the length of his career. People think there's still room for development, but he's getting older and has been a regular in the NHL for a long time. It's unlikely that he makes major strides in the way of becoming a scoring force; the best that can be hoped for is that he rounds his game, takes on a 'more energy' philosophy to it, stops shying away from contact and learns to go to the areas he so much wants to avoid. In short, we can hope that he becomes a roleplayer for the team and starts to understand that with his level of skill/ability that he's going to have to work and move his legs every shift to become the best player he has the potential to become.

How can you say that?

when Jake first came in, the Sedins style didn't fit Jake at all. Heck tram left cause he had to fight after clean hits and I didn't see the rest of the team backing him up.....same goes for Jake. This is the first time, he let coach down....willie wanted Jake to get bigger and he did.....also for the first time , there's players Jake can learn from like ferland and Miller....DD was good but got injured.....

we all saw how Jake played with fire when rooster was in the line up....

He needs a pack and now we got one....

I agree with green at 24 we will see what Jake is....

dont write him off just yet...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 112 said:

-

He was 22 last year. He takes a while to learn things, as everyone who has followed him is aware. While some players are stars right out of the chute, it is not at all uncommon for players to continue to develop well into their twenties.

If you think it is reasonable to assume that a 22 year old player has already shown all he has to give, you might want to think about players like Kucherov, Marchand, Gaudreau, Barkov, Huberdeau, Wheeler, etc., not to mention the Sedins and a significant portion of the Canucks last Cup finals team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He was 22 last year. He takes a while to learn things, as everyone who has followed him is aware. While some players are stars right out of the chute, it is not at all uncommon for players to continue to develop well into their twenties.

If you think it is reasonable to assume that a 22 year old player has already shown all he has to give, you might want to think about players like Kucherov, Marchand, Gaudreau, Barkov, Huberdeau, Wheeler, etc., not to mention the Sedins and a significant portion of the Canucks last Cup finals team.

I think Jake has more to give, but not much more, honestly. He's no spring chicken anymore. He's played 210 NHL games and while he's certainly improved over that time, I think I would be shocked if he becomes a regular top 6 player at this point. He's probably got more than 30 points like he's shown, but I don't see him scoring more than 40 points at any time during his career.

Sure, I can't be certain, but every one of those players you named were already top 6 forwards or better by 22, whereas Jake has solidified himself as a 3rd line, but not consistently any better yet. I think the only guys I've seen elevate from 3rd liners to 1st line players after this long would be the Sedin twins. I see Jake as a career middle six forward and I'm okay with that--he can be a great middle six guy for us for years down the road. I'm not saying it's impossible that he'll become a top 6 guy, but at this point, I'm thinking it's very unlikely. I'd love to be burned by this quote three years from now if Jake proves me wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I think Jake has more to give, but not much more, honestly. He's no spring chicken anymore. He's played 210 NHL games and while he's certainly improved over that time, I think I would be shocked if he becomes a regular top 6 player at this point. He's probably got more than 30 points like he's shown, but I don't see him scoring more than 40 points at any time during his career.

Sure, I can't be certain, but every one of those players you named were already top 6 forwards or better by 22, whereas Jake has solidified himself as a 3rd line, but not consistently any better yet. I think the only guys I've seen elevate from 3rd liners to 1st line players after this long would be the Sedin twins. I see Jake as a career middle six forward and I'm okay with that--he can be a great middle six guy for us for years down the road. I'm not saying it's impossible that he'll become a top 6 guy, but at this point, I'm thinking it's very unlikely. I'd love to be burned by this quote three years from now if Jake proves me wrong.

The players I named were selected because their 22 year old production was substantially less than they produced later in their careers. For example Kucherov scored 30 goals and 66 points as a 22 year old, certainly first line production already, but it doesn't compare to last years 128 points.

Jake's goal production last season was already borderline top-6 level. If he can improve from 15 goals to 20, something that I feel is entirely possible, he would absolutely be a top-6 winger imo.