The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Have to agree with 112. Jake's played 4 seasons in the NHL, he's not a kid anymore. I don't believe we'll see a breakthrough of sorts, but perhaps Jake rounds out his game with the speed and size he has. Maybe he learns to make better decisions quickly, work on his play-making, etc. He could still be a force (pain in the a**) during the playoffs, with his speed and size. But I'm not holding my breath for a 25 goal season.

Jake has played 3 seasons in the NHL and 1 in AHL.  He only played 11 games in his sophomore year and spent the rest of the season in Utica.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ehlers is the same draft as Jake.  I'd much rather have a complete miss from my first round pick, then get a guy like Ehlers who drains way too much cap, and hurts his team as a result.  Ehlers has negative value.  Jake has positive value.  

In what world is a 60+ point player a drain? 

In what world is a 25 point, third line winger with major consistency issues considered more valuable than a 60+ player who’s the same age? La la land that’s where. 

10 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Geez talking about who's better....nylander and ehlers or Jake.....lets put it this was who's better Sedins or burrows? ....they needed each other.... Guys like Jake arnt in every draft but guys like nylander and ehlers are.....

Players like jake are a dime a dozen. The league is filled with 3rd line role players that can crash and bang. It’s a very easy role to replace and it’s why very few muckers get paid big dollars until they are able to produce as well. 

If jake can put it all together and have everything click then he could become a special player. But it’s like Stan smyl said, the team has been patient with him and they are happy with his progress. but now it’s up to him and it’s up to him to figure it out quick because the next crop or prospects is going to pass him if he doesn’t. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In what world is a 25 point, third line winger with major consistency issues considered more valuable than a 60+ player who’s the same age? La la land that’s where. 

Players like jake are a dime a dozen. The league is filled with 3rd line role players that can crash and bang. It’s a very easy role to replace and it’s why very few muckers get paid big dollars until they are able to produce as well. 

If jake can put it all together and have everything click then he could become a special player. But it’s like Stan smyl said, the team has been patient with him and they are happy with his progress. but now it’s up to him and it’s up to him to figure it out quick because the next crop or prospects is going to pass him if he doesn’t. 

I think the real question is, at this moment who would you want on the team, and for me...

Jake over Nylander, Ehlers, Fiala, Ritchie and others listed, but not Vrana and some others..

In all honesty this whole discussion is silly... We have JV... Focus on JV.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In the cap world a player must have positive, or at least equal value to his cap hit to not hurt his team.  Ehlers and Nylander have negative value, especially when it comes to their teams filling out their rosters with guys who play better in harder games.   Soft perimeter wingers are easy to find.  It's how much they are paid that's the issue.   

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

A few years ago I would agree but not so much anymore.....times have changed...look at how many pwfs taken in the top 15 that have turned into third liners.....

in today's game a young Lucic would be taken in the first round.....max Jones was and nick Ritchie too....

before those guys would be taken later but now those are the rare guys instead of the skill guys.....

i agree it's up to Jake to figure it out and like Green's said we won't know what Jake is until his 24 and most of those muckers cash in around that age.....

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Also Sedins put up how many points in the regular season and how many times have we all seen them not score in the playoffs? 

Burr scored the OT winner against the Hawks and kesler went beast mode against the preds.....

soft players put up points during the season and guys like Jake might just earn his weight in gold in the playoffs....Dustin brown comes to mind....

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think the real question is, at this moment who would you want on the team, and for me...

At this moment jake looks expendable. With miller and ferland on the roster. Pod in the system and gadj. MacEwen to a lesser extent. 

Hoping jake can have everything click as will we be a better team because of it. But just like kassian at some point you just have to move on. 

I personally think this team is missing some pure skill in its top 9. Outside of petey it’s pretty bleak, Sven is a bandaid, Boeser is more of a shooter, it’s likely why they are trying so hard to make it work with goldobin. 

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

In all honesty this whole discussion is silly... We have JV... Focus on JV.

Sure but it’s not out of the question to seeing him moved in the next 24 months. Last year there was the rumor of him being package for zadorov and it’s not something I was against. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Great Burrows scored a big goal.  

Does that make him a more valuable player than the twins?  

Would anyone in their right mind have traded Daniel for Burrows straight up? No, thanks for proving my point.

I think the issue is people have selective memories, they remember burrows big goal because of the meaning behind it, but that doesn’t mean the sedins didn’t bring it in the post season. People choose to remember the really high moments because it was exciting but forget the lack of inconsistency.  People also tend to remember how good the skill players were, Like in 2011 Hank put up 12 points in 5 games against the sharks,   Hanks career he had 78 points in 105 games, Danny had  71 points in 102 games. Burrows only had 34 in 70.  

It happens all the time in the post season.  Look at how people react to Ferlund, they remember his big 2 games against canucks where he make everyone scared.  Those two games are how people define him as a post season player but they ignore all the other times he’s been in the post season.  Where has ferlund been the 18 playoff games he’s played in? 20 games played, 6 total points (3 of them came in one game against cauncks).   Same thing with Kassian,  he ran over the Sharks for 2 games with the oilers in the first round and people cry about us trading him….but what about the other 19 games he’s been in, he’s been invisible, 21 games played, 3 total points. 

I also said they needed each other....Sedins and burr made a balanced line...

sedins played good against the Sharks but kesler went beast mode against the preds....

sedins and ehlers and nylander are the type of players that do great during the regular season but lack in the playoffs.....picture nylander in the west....Johnny hockey got shut down and he showed more fight then I've seen from nylander or ehlers.....

look at Justin Williams... Or sharpe or Dustin brown......those are the type of players I want over nylander or ehlers......

ferland played pretty good last season in the playoffs until he got injured and the thing about burr and ferland they bring more then points and can affect the game in different ways , where the Sedins and nylander and ehlers only affect the game one way.....

your last part could also be pointed at the Sedins they played good against the Sharks , where were they against the preds or Hawks?......

It’s pretty needless to tear down the Sedins to prop up your arguement their playoff scoring was fairly similar to their career norms.  As far as the 2019 team I think we all have reason to be excited about the depth across all parts of our lineup and having players who can score in a variety of ways.  Looking forward to the 2019 season.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

It’s pretty needless to tear down the Sedins to prop up your arguement their playoff scoring was fairly similar to their career norms.  As far as the 2019 team I think we all have reason to be excited about the depth across all parts of our lineup and having players who can score in a variety of ways.  Looking forward to the 2019 season.

Not tearing them down just stating facts..... Still great players..... It's not like I'm lying about them.....

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

there is a salary cap now.  These overpaid soft perimeter guys, who produce very little (if at all) when the games get hard actually hurt their teams.  Take Ehlers for example.  6 million for that guy is hurting the Jets filling in role players much needed to win playoff games.  

I think you and others forget that the other team has to focus on the best players wich leads to more space for the lesser players to score... 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm glad we didn't give up on a 22 year old Todd Bertuzzi....

You get a hat trick for that one Deb.

Jake will bloom this year,. The flashes of excitement he gave us last season will stack up this season. His confidence will rise knowing he has real teammates that play 2” taller and are more physically dominant.

Bertuzzi said it himself when he came here, he was relieved to have guys that played that way so he could find his game without worries.

• Upvote 4