The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm glad we didn't give up on a 22 year old Todd Bertuzzi....

I think there's a little method to the madness of drafting a player like Jake early in the rebuild.  These guys often take years to figure it out and this way he hopefully puts it together at a time when the rest of the team starts rounding out.  At least that's what I've been hoping for and would like to believe!

• Upvote 2

Will be interesting to see where Jake starts and finishes the season. Hopefully he can learn a bit from Miller and Ferland in terms of rounding out his physical play as well. I think he'll start on the 3rd or 4th line and work his way up, especially if our top guys get injured. If Jake can score 20 goals he'll be a success in my eyes. Confidence is big for him.

Jake had a great game last night and like Green said he had 40 great games last year and they want him to have 70ish great games.  If he can get there over the next few years our patience will have paid off.  If he can have 50 plus this year we know he is heading in the right direction.

32 minutes ago, thrago said:

Jake had a great game last night and like Green said he had 40 great games last year and they want him to have 70ish great games.  If he can get there over the next few years our patience will have paid off.  If he can have 50 plus this year we know he is heading in the right direction.

I think 20 - 25 goals is doable for Virtanen. Especially now that the team is deep enough to have more offensive talent outside the top 6. It's hard for me to see Virtanen as a 50 point player since he's never put up more than 10 A's in his career so far. Plus Green doesn't exactly deploy him like he's a 50 goal scorer. 

But there's a lot of opportunity this year for Virtanen to show his progression, especially if he's playing with say Baertschi/Goldobin and Gaudette. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

I think 20 - 25 goals is doable for Virtanen. Especially now that the team is deep enough to have more offensive talent outside the top 6. It's hard for me to see Virtanen as a 50 point player since he's never put up more than 10 A's in his career so far. Plus Green doesn't exactly deploy him like he's a 50 goal scorer. 

But there's a lot of opportunity this year for Virtanen to show his progression, especially if he's playing with say Baertschi/Goldobin and Gaudette. 

Sorry I didn't make that clear I wasn't referring to points I was saying if he could have 50 great games. As an aside I 'm not sure Jake will ever be a 50 point player but if he can ever be a 40 plus player I think he could be a very effective player for us.

Edited by thrago
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I was at the game last night, I don’t know I’d say Jake took the team on his back, it’s nice to see him score in his old building but outside of the two shifts when he scored he didn’t do much. I was hoping for a more physical energetic Jake but he didn’t really have that jump.  Canucks as a hole were down right awful last night (it was somewhat expected considering the roster we had iced).  None of the rookies were really standing out (could be nerves) but the effort also wasn’t there either.  Even Baertschi looked extremely slow and unengaged.  He was cheating offensively constantly, leaving the zone too early, getting caught and then slowly getting back into position.  

We only had 1:30 of possession time heading into the 3rd and were getting outshot 30-7.  Rittich switched halfway through the game and only faced 4 shots.  Had flames not put in the sieve Talbot mid second, who let in that floater from Eliot, I don’t know if we ever get the moment to swing out way. If anyone deserve credit for last nights game its Bachman who while looked really shaky at the start, held the Canucks in the game.  Biega was the only other player that looked like he was excited hockey was back. 

For a game where Canucks squeaked out a win it was an extremely poor outing. I’ll chalk it up to shaking off the rust but hope to see more for all these guys (including jake) moving forward. 

Jake looked great, especially on that winning goal in OT.  He stole the puck in his own end because the Calgary guy didn't want to get run over. Then raced up the ice.  Next he made the D man look incredibly stupid with a nifty bit of puck handling.  Finally he snapped it easily past the goalie.  Great skill, size, speed, and back check, went into that goal.   Only a handful of players in the league can do that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

It's hard for me to say JV did not carry the team... Obviously Bachman played above his level, but look at the roster difference... That Flames team could hang with a lot of full NHL squads. Outshot heavily and JV finds a way to put a couple home.

This is one of those moments where you have to give credit where credit is due. Jake and Bachman are the reasons the Canucks pulled off an outstanding upset in Calgary

When you team gets grossly outperformed and jake, Sven, beagle are part of the problem you can’t really give credit. That’s like saying peter klima carried the oilers in the 1990 finals. 

The only one who deserves the credit is Bachman who was rightfully named the first start. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake looked great, especially on that winning goal in OT.  He stole the puck in his own end because the Calgary guy didn't want to get run over. Then raced up the ice.  Next he made the D man look incredibly stupid with a nifty bit of puck handling.  Finally he snapped it easily past the goalie.  Great skill, size, speed, and back check, went into that goal.   Only a handful of players in the league can do that.

Oh tell me more Alf how you came to this conclusion based on watching a 10 second highlight clip.

The Canucks as a whole in Calgary last night were garbage. Zero effort except for the Biega and Bachman. I’m glad jake took advantage of the open space in OT but outside of two shifts he looked uninspired like the rest of the club. 

I'm not going to put too much stock in the first pre season game, but that OT goal is one that he doesn't score last year.  Last year he would have continued to try to bull his way to the net and wither lose the puck or try to cram it under the goalies pads.  He showed a ton of patience and controlled the play before sniping top shelf.  

Again, not reading too much into it, but that is the type of goal that the coached will use as an example of how he needs to play.  Hopefully that breeds some confidence.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oh tell me more Alf how you came to this conclusion based on watching a 10 second highlight clip.

The Canucks as a whole in Calgary last night were garbage. Zero effort except for the Biega and Bachman. I’m glad jake took advantage of the open space in OT but outside of two shifts he looked uninspired like the rest of the club. 

Jake's play was great!  He intimated the Calgary puck handler, took the puck away, sped up the ice, made the Calgary D man look foolish, and then showed off his lethal shot.  Why not just admit that Jake's OT goal could only be accomplished by a very few NHL players?  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake's play was great!  He intimated the Calgary puck handler, took the puck away, sped up the ice, made the Calgary D man look foolish, and then showed off his lethal shot.  Why not just admit that Jake's OT goal could only be accomplished by a very few NHL players?  

Austin Czarnik is the next McDavid, he absolutely embarrassed the Canucks non stop the entire game, not just one shift

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Austin Czarnik is the next McDavid, he absolutely embarrassed the Canucks non stop the entire game, not just one shift

That kid did well in the Ozone, while possessing the puck for sure.  I didn't see him create a turn over by intimidating an opponent.  Again name some players in the league that could do all that Jake did on the OT goal?  When you generate a list, you will realize the unique qualities Jake brings to our team.