The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

19 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I get what you are saying, You were at the game and giving "your opinion" and was not taking away from Jakes good goal and were just reporting a poor effort by the Canucks as a team effort

Even Jake said they hung the goalie out to dry and that Bachman stood on his head.(I read that)

I am not sure of what to make of the team effort you describe, when we are to have a deep line up and a spot should be hard to get on this team this year

Not sure how you can chalk lack of hustle and effort up to rust, when the other team has not played anymore games than the Canucks?

I highlighted you acknowledging his goals and my concerns how you saw the game, which I never saw myself to either agree or critique your take on it

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who was at that game, what they thought of the team effort

Back to Jake though

I am hoping with the bigger guys on the team now, that they may prod and make Jake more of a man and hit like he did in Junior (not just because he was bigger)

We saw Jake getting fighting lessons last year from Guddy, presumably to defend against guys that take offense to being hit by him

We have some guys now who can teach and also have his back, and I think this could give him the confidence to be much more effective, if he is interested in being a rough player who will also go to the net and fight for space as well

How many guys in the league can reproduce Jake’s OT from the intimidation causing a turnover, to the lethal shot, and all in between?  

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

......in the first preseason game.  Had to end that sentence for you ::D.  I've been rooting for Jake since he was drafted and still do.  But let's see this in the regular season and better yet playoffs before describing his Gretzky-like prowess!  

Gretzky never caused a turnover by intimidating the opponent with a huge hit.  All the rest of that goal Gretzky did better than any player who ever lived.

im pointing out that Jake has a unique skill set.  There are not many players who can make that play from start to finish.  

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oh tell me more Alf how you came to this conclusion based on watching a 10 second highlight clip.

The Canucks as a whole in Calgary last night were garbage. Zero effort except for the Biega and Bachman. I’m glad jake took advantage of the open space in OT but outside of two shifts he looked uninspired like the rest of the club. 

Sorry, Forsberg, you're just wrong on this one. You're looking at this as if it was even match up but it wasn't. That was an AHL squad with a couple vets vs an almost regular season squad. Of course they looked poor. It wasn't a lack of effort... But rather a lack of talent... This isn't basketball where 1 guy can truly carry a game... It takes effort.

Its outstanding that JV put up 2 goals playing against the team he did. While no one else was even generating shots on net, he was scoring. You kind of have some hater shades on here... They didn't play poorly... That whole team played above their level to pull off a win against Gaudreau Hamilton Giordano Monahan Lindholm etc.... 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Sorry, Forsberg, you're just wrong on this one. You're looking at this as if it was even match up but it wasn't. That was an AHL squad with a couple vets vs an almost regular season squad. Of course they looked poor. It wasn't a lack of effort... But rather a lack of talent... This isn't basketball where 1 guy can truly carry a game... It takes effort.

Its outstanding that JV put up 2 goals playing against the team he did. While no one else was even generating shots on net, he was scoring. You kind of have some hater shades on here... They didn't play poorly... That whole team played above their level to pull off a win against Gaudreau Hamilton Giordano Monahan Lindholm etc.... 

That's funny because I spent the intermissions at the game with my friend/neighbour who is a head scout in the NHL.  He thought the same and was expecting more energy from our young guys looking to make an impression. But if you (and a few others who didn't even watch the game) say I'm wrong I guess it must be.

I'm the last thing when it comes to having hater shades on with Jake. I got to know him a bit when he was with the hitman and out with the shoulder injury.  He was a really solid kid who didn't mind sitting next to some guy at the dome when the Canucks were in town.  I'm routing for him more than most, but i'm also not a blind homer that gets trigger because a person who actually watched the game has a different perspective than my interpretation of the box score.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

I was at the Calgary game too, and what I saw wasn't a lack of effort as much as it was an unfair misbalance of skill. We were badly outmatched and if it wasn't for Bachman it should have beem far worse.

Even Jake didn't look standout - though his two goals were lovely snipes. He did what he could.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's funny because I spent the intermissions at the game with my friend/neighbour who is a head scout in the NHL.  He thought the same and was expecting more energy from our young guys looking to make an impression. But if you (and a few others who didn't even watch the game) say I'm wrong I guess it must be.

I'm the last thing when it comes to having hater shades on with Jake. I got to know him a bit when he was with the hitman and out with the shoulder injury.  He was a really solid kid who didn't mind sitting next to some guy at the dome when the Canucks were in town.  I'm routing for him more than most, but i'm also not a blind homer that gets trigger because a person who actually watched the game has a different perspective than my interpretation of the box score.

I respect your opinion, truly, I just disagreed is all.

Totally get what you're saying, and I agree on a level, but give credit where its due. You have to imagine those guys were trying to just not suck. Possibly scared to try and go above and beyond in such a tight game. Possibly it had to do with the coach as well... There's a lot factors at play. (I'm dying inside with my lack of proper paragraph structure, but I'm on a phone, so sorry)

Now for the players IN Van, that's another story. Rafferty and Teves looked awful, and other than Lind, who was mediocre, none of the young guys stood out.

You're also judging pre season game 1. Possibly one of those moments you should put on some rose coloured glasses.

Edited by 5Fivehole0

I have a feeling most players are still reeling from Coach Green's now legendary tough camps. I think Sutter was the one who mentioned guys were all pretty sore during an interview. Calgary and Edmonton both looked like they had more jump and were fresher. Jake was taking extremely short shifts toward the end of the Edmonton game. I just think these guys bodies are still recovering. 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Head scout neighbor!  :lol::lol:

admit it.  Jake scored a goal that only a very select few in the league can.  He intimidated Gio, who turned the puck over, raced down the ice, dangled Beautifully, the sniped. 

C'mon Alf. I was watching the preseason game against Edmonton with Linden, Bure, and McLean. They felt the same way.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

C'mon Alf. I was watching the preseason game against Edmonton with Linden, Bure, and McLean. They felt the same way.

.....Because Sheldon Ferguson is the same as the canucks greats. :picard:

Just because you are a nobody doesn’t mean the rest of us are. Here’s another kick to the nuts. Another buddy of mine is the head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

.....Because Sheldon Ferguson is the same as the canucks greats. :picard:

Just because you are a nobody doesn’t mean the rest of us are. Here’s another kick to the nuts. Another buddy of mine is the head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks. 

Oh Forsberg.

I get that you think you know more than anyone else on here, and are desperate to let everyone know that. It's funny that you're so triggered by a post that you have to resort to calling someone a nobody because they don't need to signal who they know or how ensconced they are in the world of hockey.

Your "buddy" is the head coach of the Blackhawks? Did you want a big boy badge? Maybe I could bake you a cake instead? When I think of a kick to the nuts, some random poster on a hockey website claiming to know people in the NHL doesn't really apply, but hey whatever pumps your tires, stud. Keep feeling special, because you are, and don't you ever forget it, buddy.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh Forsberg.

I get that you think you know more than anyone else on here, and are desperate to let everyone know that. It's funny that you're so triggered by a post that you have to resort to calling someone a nobody because they don't need to signal who they know or how ensconced they are in the world of hockey.

Your "buddy" is the head coach of the Blackhawks? Did you want a big boy badge? Maybe I could bake you a cake instead? When I think of a kick to the nuts, some random poster on a hockey website claiming to know people in the NHL doesn't really apply, but hey whatever pumps your tires, stud. Keep feeling special, because you are, and don't you ever forget it, buddy.

I'm pretty sure I used the urinal right after Dubas one time in Toronto, it made me feel pretty special to be that close to greatness. Don't be so hard on Forsberg. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh Forsberg.

You insult me first, I can throw it right back, seems fair. 

Yes, I would like a cake. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Anyways back to the topic at hand. Jakes game last night anyone want to suggest it was mediocre?  

Preseason. I think once the roster is fully defined (and lines hopefully settled upon), and the team is 15 games in to the season that matters, is when one can truly make a solid judgement of players.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Preseason. I think once the roster is fully defined (and lines hopefully settled upon), and the team is 15 games in to the season that matters, is when one can truly make a solid judgement of players.

While I agree you can’t really judge preseason. I do see a guy like zack mackewan pick up his game last night, working his butt off trying to earn a spot that doesn’t exist. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Anyways back to the topic at hand. Jakes game last night anyone want to suggest it was mediocre?  

Vanilla is the term I would use. Jake got heated from being Cross checked from behind. What does Green do he sends him right back out there after a short rest. The play dies and Jake's energy is gone. 

Green then puts Jake with Petey and Ferly about 5 minutes later then Jake kills that lines momentum... He gets another look with Petey and Ferland late but he doesn't capitalize. 

He backed down from the pushing and shoving later in the game. He is perplexing and extremely frustrating to watch when he is indecisive. He tends to flip flop. On shift with Ferland he ran a guy over. Next few without Ferland he's tip toeing around.

• Upvote 1