The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I have been pleasantly surprised by Jake's positioning thus far. He had a few deflected passes on defense, one that led to his OT winner against Calgary. His positioning and stick work has improved since last season. It's nice that his defensive improvements hasn't been limited to just being quicker and backchecking harder. Gotta admit that snipe job against Calgary still stirring around in my brain. But I must say the team looks pretty rough overall. Hard training camp still lingering but all the same, gotta see better overall play outta the team as preseason goes on. 

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I have been pleasantly surprised by Jake's positioning thus far. He had a few deflected passes on defense, one that led to his OT winner against Calgary. His positioning and stick work has improved since last season. It's nice that his defensive improvements hasn't been limited to just being quicker and backchecking harder. Gotta admit that snipe job against Calgary still stirring around in my brain. But I must say the team looks pretty rough overall. Hard training camp still lingering but all the same, gotta see better overall play outta the team as preseason goes on. 

That first goal shouldn't have gone in on Talbot. The second one, the snipe was magnificent!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

While I agree you can’t really judge preseason. I do see a guy like zack mackewan pick up his game last night, working his butt off trying to earn a spot that doesn’t exist. 

MacEwen has looked very engaged and could be the player that makes the team. I'm certainly rooting for him. I can see a Gagner-type of demotion occurring.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Vanilla is the term I would use. Jake got heated from being Cross checked from behind. What does Green do he sends him right back out there after a short rest. The play dies and Jake's energy is gone. 

Green then puts Jake with Petey and Ferly about 5 minutes later then Jake kills that lines momentum... He gets another look with Petey and Ferland late but he doesn't capitalize. 

He backed down from the pushing and shoving later in the game. He is perplexing and extremely frustrating to watch when he is indecisive. He tends to flip flop. On shift with Ferland he ran a guy over. Next few without Ferland he's tip toeing around.

Yep. Very similar to kassian. One shift he gets it, the next 5 shifts he doesn’t. That’s ok if he’s a bottom 6 role player but if we want him to become that top six scorer he’ll need to start putting in the extra effort.

Now I will caveat this as my own opinion but I think he’s just used to things coming to him naturally, spoon fed too much. He’s not used to having to fight and claw for every inch like in players with less draft pedigree (burrows, macewan types). An example has been his off season training. Even this year. If the team gave you a goal, being close to that goal shouldn’t be the focus. He should have came in with that goal blown out of the water. Go the extra mile, put in the work and earn your teammates respect.  I’d love for him to play with that earn everything instinct. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

MacEwen has looked very engaged and could be the player that makes the team. I'm certainly rooting for him. I can see a Gagner-type of demotion occurring.

Macewan over Goldie for sure at this point. But really I see two spots left. 

Brock Ep ferk

miller bo sven

Pearson suts ______

____ beagle motte. 

Two holes coming down to jake, Leivo, goldy, macEwan, LE. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Is it necessary to make excuses ? next it will be they played 2 games in 5 nights etc.

Are the Canucks the only ones with a training camp that is hard?

These are world class athletes, playing in the worlds best league, (not a beer league with other jobs)

Training camp was not a month long

I respect players who give it their all ,especially when they are trying to 'earn" a spot on the team, this is the time to shine and show you deserve to be on the team arrive in shape and show how you committed to being what it takes to be on the team is it not?

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Brock Ep ferk

miller bo sven

Pearson suts ______

____ beagle motte. 

Mac can be exposed with no waiver eligibility correct?

LE won't be touched with a 10 foot pole on waivers, correct?

Makes the decision easy imo - Jake/Leivo on roster, Goldy 13th forward. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Brock Ep ferk

miller bo sven

Pearson suts ______

____ beagle motte. 

Fair enough. I'm not sure if Baertschi will get the second line spot over Goldobin. Sven is more engaged at a consistent level though, so that definitely works in his favor. I do think that Goldobin is the more offensively gifted player overall, but his ability to maintain that level will be the key to him working out here.

The players who can't maintain the level of consistency that Green is looking for will be the ones cut, most likely. MacEwen's size mixed with his skill must be enticing to Travis though.

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Is it necessary to make excuses ? next it will be they played 2 games in 5 nights etc.

Are the Canucks the only ones with a training camp that is hard?

These are world class athletes, playing in the worlds best league, (not a beer league with other jobs)

Training camp was not a month long

I respect players who give it their all ,especially when they are trying to 'earn" a spot on the team, this is the time to shine and show you deserve to be on the team arrive in shape and show how you committed to being what it takes to be on the team is it not?

Feel free to read the rest of the sentence. Instead of half quoting it. CoNtExT bUd

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Brock Ep ferk

miller bo sven

Pearson suts ______

____ beagle motte. 

Not sure Motte's spot is locked in yet. I think MacEwan, Leivo, Virtanen and Motte are all competing for the two bottom six RW spots. I see Eriksson being given the last LW spot as they hope to move him at some point.   

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Mac can be exposed with no waiver eligibility correct?

LE won't be touched with a 10 foot pole on waivers, correct?

Makes the decision easy imo - Jake/Leivo on roster, Goldy 13th forward. 

Problem with Goldy as 13th is that when Roussel gets healthy, you're still likely waiving him and he's far more likely to be claimed then, than during the preseason melee where everyone is waiving guys. IMO, he either earns a top 9 spot or he's on waivers.

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not sure Motte's spot is locked in yet. I think MacEwan, Leivo, Virtanen and Motte are all competing for the two bottom six RW spots. I see Eriksson being given the last LW spot as they hope to move him at some point.   

Locked? No. But I think he's written pretty firmly in pencil. One of those really dark, soft graphite ones that's hard to erase ::D

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Problem with Goldy as 13th is that when Roussel gets healthy, you're still likely waiving him and he's far more likely to be claimed then, than during the preseason melee where everyone is waiving guys. IMO, he either earns a top 9 spot or he's on waivers.

Locked? No. But I think he's written pretty firmly in pencil. One of those really dark, soft graphite ones that's hard to erase ::D

The problem is I really like Leivo's game, he looked great last year and was even able to step up and play in the top 6 when injuries hit. Dont think he will be happy if he is a spare. Maybe they waive Loui, I just have a hard time believing it until I see it.  

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There is no way Goldobin gets past Edmonton on the waiver wire. :lol: they might even sign Landon Ferraro. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The problem is I really like Leivo's game, he looked great last year and was even able to step up and play in the top 6 when injuries hit. Dont think he will be happy if he is a spare. Maybe they waive Loui, I just have a hard time believing it until I see it.  

Yeah I'm not waiving Leivo either.

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Baer/Pearson, Sutter, Leivo/Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Leivo/Virtanen

Eriksson as 13th until Roussel's off IR

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He kind of looks like Leipsic in his first camp. I know Leipsic had some flash on the pre season but they kind of have had a similar impact. We definitely need to see leivo step it up. He played with Gaudette in the game vs cgy was it? Maybe quality of linemates is the problem? 

Who did leivo play with vs Calgary? 

There is no way Goldobin gets past Edmonton on the waiver wire. :lol: they might even sign Landon Ferraro. 

If he still can't make our team, good luck in Edmon-dump in that case.

And I don't know that's as foregone of a conclusion as some are assuming. They have Benson and Yamamoto...if we send Goldy down in the usual melee, I think there's a decent 50/50 shot he clears.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If he still can't make our team, good luck in Edmon-dump in that case.

And I don't know that's as foregone of a conclusion as some are assuming. They have Benson and Yamamoto...if we send Goldy down in the usual melee, I think there's a decent 50/50 shot he clears.

Well. Goldobin produced pretty good playing with Petey. I would think he could replicate that we McDavid or big D's winger. Maybe all he will ever be good for is a complimentary player for high end elites like Petey, McDavid, Crosby etc. 

I certainly don't want us to pay him big $$ if he can't produce without Pettersson. I would think we could get something of a return back instead of waiving him. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic.

Edited by Rush17

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He kind of looks like Leipsic in his first camp. I know Leipsic had some flash on the pre season but they kind of have had a similar impact. We definitely need to see leivo step it up. He played with Gaudette in the game vs cgy was it? Maybe quality of linemates is the problem? 

Who did leivo play with vs Calgary? 

I like that he has good size and can play a physical game/win board battles even when hes not on the score sheet. He keeps things pretty simple and has a good shot. 

• Cheers 1

Well. Goldobin produced pretty good playing with Petey. I would think he could replicate that we McDavid or big D's winger. Maybe all he will ever be good for is a complimentary player for high end elites like Petey, McDavid, Crosby etc. 

I certainly don't want us to pay him big $$ if he can't produce without Pettersson. I would think we could get something of a return back instead of waiving him. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic.

Maybe a 5th or a 6th if we are lucky, teams would probably realize he is headed to waivers.