Sign in to follow this  
avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Right on Stefan! We gotta have our boys backs when the negative side of our fanbase and media try to drag them for no reason.

I don't know that I'm of the "negative side of our fanbase"....I'd argue otherwise.  Homer Status here.

 

But there are also no free passes and, in this case, Jake wasn't really doing what we'd expect from someone waiting to get back to professional hockey after an abrupt halt.  I'd think most are chomping at the bit and focused there.  Socializing is one thing .... so go out with buddies and hang at the beach.  I don't personally care that he was in a club...it's reports that he was ignoring social distancing and a mask.  Do it right if you're going to do it.  Then there'd be nothing to see/talk about here.

Those who ignore the basic guidelines in place to protect others don't have an excuse ("reason") in my view.  Just wear a mask or keep your distance....it's not that tough if you have any self discipline.  

 

Anyhow, done throwing Jake under the bus.  He'll have to contend with whatever the team deems a suitable response to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, old guy said:

"At the beginning of the crisis, scientists failed to collectively ask basic questions like “does this thing grow exponentially”, said Professor Levitt, Robert W. and Vivian K. Cahill professor in cancer research at Stanford University.

Physicists and theoretical chemists “who understand trajectories” were often better qualified to analyse the pandemic than epidemiologists, who “see their job not as getting things correct, but preventing an epidemic”, leading them to overstate the threat, he argued in a debate on the role of science in a crisis.

“We should never have listened to the epidemiologists,” Professor Levitt said. “They have caused hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of suffering and damage, mainly on the younger generation,” he said. “It’s going to make 9/11 look like a baby story.”

I'm wary of "we should have" reviews that take place mid pandemic.  Those statements and assessments should likely be done after it's over, not during?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, old guy said:

"At the beginning of the crisis, scientists failed to collectively ask basic questions like “does this thing grow exponentially”, said Professor Levitt, Robert W. and Vivian K. Cahill professor in cancer research at Stanford University.

Physicists and theoretical chemists “who understand trajectories” were often better qualified to analyse the pandemic than epidemiologists, who “see their job not as getting things correct, but preventing an epidemic”, leading them to overstate the threat, he argued in a debate on the role of science in a crisis.

“We should never have listened to the epidemiologists,” Professor Levitt said. “They have caused hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of suffering and damage, mainly on the younger generation,” he said. “It’s going to make 9/11 look like a baby story.”

To quote my dad:  "WTF this got to do with the price of bread son?"

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know that I'm of the "negative side of our fanbase"....I'd argue otherwise.  Homer Status here.

 

But there are also no free passes and, in this case, Jake wasn't really doing what we'd expect from someone waiting to get back to professional hockey after an abrupt halt.  I'd think most are chomping at the bit and focused there.  Socializing is one thing .... so go out with buddies and hang at the beach.  I don't personally care that he was in a club...it's reports that he was ignoring social distancing and a mask.  Do it right if you're going to do it.  Then there'd be nothing to see/talk about here.

Those who ignore the basic guidelines in place to protect others don't have an excuse ("reason") in my view.  Just wear a mask or keep your distance....it's not that tough if you have any self discipline.  

 

Anyhow, done throwing Jake under the bus.  He'll have to contend with whatever the team deems a suitable response to this.

You're definitely not Deb, wasn't directed at you.

 

Personally, I would not go clubbing right now, but Jake is catching unwarranted heat in my opinion. He was not ignoring protocols and he's being unfairly criticized by people saying he was. There is no rule to where a mask is mandatory unless indicated by the specific company. Everyone was socially distant at the club and as you can see, Jake was with his bubble. It is not selfish for anyone to enjoy life within the mandated rules. 

 

Clubs are not like they usually are right now, everyone has to stay at their table just like a restaurant. 

 

Also, to those arguing the death rate, it's about saving the % that could die because of it. Every life counts. Enjoy the new normal to the safest that you can by following the rules presented wherever you may go.

Edited by MrCanuck94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

You're definitely not Deb, wasn't directed at you.

 

Personally, I would not go clubbing right now, but Jake is catching unwarranted heat in my opinion. He was not ignoring protocols and he's being unfairly criticized by people saying he was. There is no rule to where a mask is mandatory unless indicated by the specific company. Everyone was socially distant at the club and as you can see, Jake was with his bubble. It is not selfish for anyone to enjoy life within the mandated rules. 

 

Clubs are not like they usually are right now, everyone has to stay at their table just like a restaurant. 

 

Also, to those arguing the death rate, it's about saving the % that could die because of it. Every life counts. Enjoy the new normal to the safest that you can by following the rules presented wherever you may go.

Thank you for this.

 

Thing is, I do change my stance if this is the case...and I have reviewed the Gov't guidelines that show this to be the case.  From the picture, it appears Jake is seated and I don't see anyone around him in close proximity.   In "hearing" (I hate gossip/rumours) that he was "ignoring social distancing without a mask" (which is the recommendation - "if you can't social distance, wear a mask") I based my opinion on him not being cautious.  But if he was, I apologize to him for my misguided opinion.  I hope he was following guidelines...I feel maybe he was.

 

I am fearful of the whole "clubbing" scene right now as, generally, it's a place to meet people and, right now, that creates problems.  And the Brandi's deal was a bit of a jaw dropper....as it seems this is pushing the envelope and creating an outbreak that really shouldn't happen.  But I won't subject Jake to any more of my criticism based on him seemingly following the rules as they're set out.  Thank you.

 

This whole virus is a tough go for all of us.  I am fearful of it, not going to lie about that.  I have very vulnerable family members and so I take none of it lightly. 

 

And I still do feel Jake's making choices that don't demonstrate that he puts hockey/his team in the forefront.  They're starting to get going/bond, etc. and he's one guy who really has to SHOW he cares.  Not just show up.  There have been issues in the past that probably indicate he needs to really be all in and this just sort of goes against it.  In knowing his teammates have very vulnerable family members, it's just out of respect to lay low until this thing's passed.

 

I am likely directing this in the wrong place though - it's very bizarre to me that strip bars and clubs are open and my damn bank still is not.  Not sure if that's their choice or what the hold up is...but this one's a mind boggler to me.

 

Hope Jake shows up and slays it this year....I'll be in his corner either way.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.