The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Well. Goldobin produced pretty good playing with Petey. I would think he could replicate that we McDavid or big D's winger. Maybe all he will ever be good for is a complimentary player for high end elites like Petey, McDavid, Crosby etc. 

I certainly don't want us to pay him big $$ if he can't produce without Pettersson. I would think we could get something of a return back instead of waiving him. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic.

Maybe Benning gets something for him from a team further down the waiver wire?

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think they might try for bigger fish. Risto + for Laine or Connor....

They certainly can try. It sounds like WPG wants to keep them both tho.

Maybe you know something I don't :P

Edited by Rush17

21 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

They certainly can try. It sounds like WPG wants to keep them both tho.

Maybe you know something I don't :P

Nope. Just looks like a solid trade fit with two teams with a history. Would suit both team's needs, especially if DB does go MIA. My money would be on them moving Laine over Connor though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Nope. Just looks like a solid trade fit with two teams with a history. Would suit both team's needs, especially if DB does go MIA. My money would be on them moving Laine over Connor though.

Agree. I think Connor fits their culture better. Laine on Buffalo would be terrifying :lol:

Watching Jake skate with the puck and along the boards, he seems to be stronger on the puck and not loosing the puck right a way.  That was something I hoped he would work on this summer and he seems to be doing better at it.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I'm not waiving Leivo either.

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Baer/Pearson, Sutter, Leivo/Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Leivo/Virtanen

Eriksson as 13th until Roussel's off IR

That’s what I’m thinking too. I could maybe see us holding on to goldy till rousell gets back Incase we get a top 6 injury that needs a skill role to fill. I also see us holding onto just have a suspicion that Sven could be shopped this year. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That’s what I’m thinking too. I could maybe see us holding on to goldy till rousell gets back Incase we get a top 6 injury that needs a skill role to fill. I also see us holding onto just have a suspicion that Sven could be shopped this year. 

Problem with hanging on to Goldy would be:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Problem with Goldy as 13th is that when Roussel gets healthy, you're still likely waiving him and he's far more likely to be claimed then, than during the preseason melee where everyone is waiving guys. IMO, he either earns a top 9 spot or he's on waivers.

A Baer (or Pearson/Leivo/Virtanen) trade would also 'solve' that issue but Benning would have to have something pretty much lined up now and ready to pull the trigger. Don't think he'd plan the roster around 'hoping' for that to occur.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Problem with hanging on to Goldy would be:

I agree with your quote but you also likely get him into some games. Players will get banged up or need a healthy scratch for a wake up call.

Have him rotated in the line up every now and then and if we still don’t see any promise by the time then it’s time to move on.  

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A Baer (or Pearson/Leivo/Virtanen) trade would also 'solve' that issue but Benning would have to have something pretty much lined up now and ready to pull the trigger. Don't think he'd plan the roster around 'hoping' for that to occur.

I could see it happening in November depending on the type of start we get. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree with your quote but you also likely get him into some games. Players will get banged up or need a healthy scratch for a wake up call.

Have him rotated in the line up every now and then and if we still don’t see any promise by the time then it’s time to move on.  

I could see it happening in November depending on the type of start we get. 

Hosts on 650, our local Canuck's radio station, were suggesting JB is dangling Jake Virtanen as the sweetener in a trade.  I wonder if JB would move Jake to dump Loui?  Stupid (IMO) if he does that though.  

• Upvote 1

To put my 2 cents in on the convo above, I think its between Goldy and Loui for who gets the final roster spot in the top 9.

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Pearson

Baertschi Sutter Eriksson

Motte/Goldy Beagle Virtanen

Goldobin/Motte

For some reason, I just have a feeling Eriksson finds a way this season. I also see Virtanen playing his way up the line up. I would rather Goldobin than Motte to be honest

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

To put my 2 cents in on the convo above, I think its between Goldy and Loui for who gets the final roster spot in the top 9.

Miller Horvat Pearson

Goldobin/Motte

For some reason, I just have a feeling Eriksson finds a way this season. I also see Virtanen playing his way up the line up. I would rather Goldobin than Motte to be honest

It makes way more sense for us to keep players, who are younger and have upside, over a guy like Loui, who is old, and will clear waivers.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Miller Horvat Pearson

Goldobin/Motte

i don't agree that even if Eriksson finds a way, I feel like he'd still be relegated to the fourth line. 

Virtanen is younger, and needs to blossom this season. Eriksson is an aging veteran, who is useful, but he is what he is at this point of his career. 

Jake's still got upside at 23 years old, and he needs at least a middle six role to somewhat flourish offensively. He's not going anywhere with fourth line minutes. And what value would he have at that point. 

Motte I can see rotating in and out of the line up. Goldobin doing that? I can't see it. I think he eventually gets frustrated, and then demands out of the team. Soooo, Goldy either makes it to the team, and becomes an impact player on the team in an offensive role (top nine), or he's on waivers on his way to another team. NJ probably claims him :P

• Cheers 1

Did you see Jake out there last night?  It was like he wasn't there,  He made no impact on the game and on the Edm. goal, he was non-existent   After last nights game in Edmonton he definitely won't be a Canuck by the end of preseason.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

Miller Horvat Pearson

Goldobin/Motte

Loui is smarter than Goldy. He knows to go to the net to bang in garbage goals. Goldy seems to avoid physical contact. Bye Goldy.