The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I really like that line coming together the past 2 games. Having Rooster in that line holds Jake and Gaudz accountable, if they take a shift off, they are gonna hear about it in the bench from Roussel

And the same applies to Miller. You can tell he hates losing and holds his line mates accountable, which is the exact mindset our team needs and will help Jake and others become the best player that they can be. 

• Upvote 1

I think for the first time Jake is actually playing his most consistent hockey of his career.  It seemed to be the thing that the coaches and us on CDC thought had to improve and he seems to be making strides in that area,  Keep up the improvements Jake. :canucks::towel::canucks:

31 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I think for the first time Jake is actually playing his most consistent hockey of his career.  It seemed to be the thing that the coaches and us on CDC thought had to improve and he seems to be making strides in that area,  Keep up the improvements Jake. :canucks::towel::canucks:

He’s also playing at the minimum, behind Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Miller. 

The pressure to perform isn’t on him. Which makes him that much more dangerous.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am hoping that coach Green keeps the line combo of Roussel, Gaudette and Virtanen together for awhile. I really like they way that line is performing and feel it can still be better yet.

Having a third line that is more than capable of scoring makes it much harder for the opposing team to cover them all.

Where would you put Sutter?

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

That is the million dollar question.

I have no answer as to how they might handle his return going forward. I do think that they will run with 14 forwards until closer to the trade deadline and if all of the forwards are healthy (an unlikely scenario); Graovac (once he is off the injured list)  and Eriksson would be waived to make room for them. As for Sutter's deployment, a lot will depend on how well the Gaudette line performs over the next few games. Coach Green may opt to move players in and out of the lineup depending on who they are playing and also whether it is a home or away game.

The next few weeks may get very complicated for management to navigate through and will no doubt create a heap of fodder for discussion here on the chat line.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That is the million dollar question.

I have no answer as to how they might handle his return going forward. I do think that they will run with 14 forwards until closer to the trade deadline and if all of the forwards are healthy (an unlikely scenario); Graovac (once he is off the injured list)  and Eriksson would be waived to make room for them. As for Sutter's deployment, a lot will depend on how well the Gaudette line performs over the next few games. Coach Green may opt to move players in and out of the lineup depending on who they are playing and also whether it is a home or away game.

The next few weeks may get very complicated for management to navigate through and will no doubt create a heap of fodder for discussion here on the chat line.

Put him on D lol!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Green still has Virtanen at the bottom of minutes played, pretty stupid coaching.

Nah. It’s perfect. They’re in a zone with him right now. He’s getting enough time to be productive while getting pulled back enough to prevent exhaustion. This sweet spot has made him more consistent. 

With time and opportunity, his time will increase. He’ll be a beauty.

And those black uniforms. The 2011 team wears those and they win the Cup.

They make even Hughes look intimidating let alone Virtanen!

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 4

On 12/6/2019 at 2:47 PM, -AJ- said:

NHL.com has your back:

Canucks Defense Shot Attempts.png

Note that this is since 2005-06 (though it might be 2007-08 since I'm not sure these were tracked before then) and with a minimum of 100 games played with the Canucks. "SAT For" his shot attempts for and SAT is the net of the for and against.

EDIT: Upon further looking, I'm pretty sure it is since 2009-10, because Edler has exactly 664 games played since then, so I'll re-post my last table since 2009-10, but with other good info:

Canucks Defense Shooting % II.png

Unfortunately NHL.com doesn't calculate for us what percentage of his shots actually hit the net, but luckily for you, you have your resident stats nerd, AJ to do it for you:

Canucks Defense Shot %.png

I believe the shot attempts that it's showing on NHL.com are for the entire team when that player was on the ice. Do we really think Edler has averaged 16 shot attempts per game since the 2009/10 season? For instance, Brock Boeser leads the team this year in total shots attempted with 124 in 30 games, which is just over 4 attempts a game.

image.thumb.png.1d786640efd744ac97ff7710c2b076b4.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, boziffous said:

I believe the shot attempts that it's showing on NHL.com are for the entire team when that player was on the ice. Do we really think Edler has averaged 16 shot attempts per game since the 2009/10 season? For instance, Brock Boeser leads the team this year in total shots attempted with 124 in 30 games, which is just over 4 attempts a game.

image.thumb.png.1d786640efd744ac97ff7710c2b076b4.png

You're right actually. I will try to do this with the correct numbers some time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

To me he’s a fourth liner or playoff depth at this point, he’s injured so much it’s ridiculous. He will be great depth if something goes down in our playoff run. Or put him and Beagle in sorta load management rotation to keep them fresher

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

Jake has improved every year. He's still only 23, and on pace for a career season. He's been pretty consistent as well, more so than previous seasons. If he gets to continue with Gaudette and Rooster, I expect things might pick up for all 3 of those guys. 

I'm really excited that he's been improving each year, even if it's only been a gradual improvement. He's developing into quite the nice 3rd line piece right now and his goal-scoring still hits at 2nd line potential.

7 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

Jake has improved every year. He's still only 23, and on pace for a career season. He's been pretty consistent as well, more so than previous seasons. If he gets to continue with Gaudette and Rooster, I expect things might pick up for all 3 of those guys. 

Great moves by Gauds to set up Jake’s goal.