The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

21 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

You are right about stopping in front, but he shouldn't have been considered a soft player, and even more reason for him to have planted in front to screen for the soft players and hope for a deflection and rebound don't you think?

No I never would say JV is soft but the whole team wasn't build for the rough long haul that it takes to win a cup, are we headed in that direction? Yes.. We're getting closer but at least we have a much better team and a core that's still young and talented but we have to build around it or it will get wasted.. AGAIN... ask the Sedin's how well soft did for us..  

On 12/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, Gaudette Celly said:

Green knows far more about Virtanen than any of us.  Who's to say he hasn't brought him along perfectly to where he is now, and to where he may yet end up.

Good point! Green is credited with saving Jake's career in Utica after the Canucks brought him to the NHL to quickly. All sorts of reasons for them doing that but marketing being one of them. Green moves up to the NHL and has moved Jake along slowly, to slowly for many especially after a particularly good game. Some players learn the game by visualizing and anticipation. Some learn by doing and falling back on their experience when things aren't going well. IMO Jake is that type of player. He has all the tools for a NHL career. Great skater, wicked wrister, nice passer, solid board work and a vastly improving puck possession player. If Jake breaks out in a serious way will Green get any credit?  

• Cheers 1

hey he is supposed to be a 2 step forward 1 step back kinda player

based on his development so far

so if he keeps up with this latest 3 steps forward - wow

man, that is refreshing to see from him

he has been getting better over the course of his time in the organization

would be so nice to see that he has finally arrived

and coaches and fans can have full confidence in his basic game

and he can go on to refine the details of his game

so he might just end up being "elite" (man most lost hope of that happening with him)

• Cheers 1

Still just 23. I can still see Jake putting up 30+ in this league one day. On pace for 20+ this season with only 1 goal coming on the power play in limited power play time. He's making big strides this year. Happy to see the local boy persevere.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Virtanen is one of the few guys that we have that has a positive impact on nearly every game.  He had been very good for the most part this season, I think he gets to 40 points for sure.   He is figuring it out now, a few years later than hoped.  I'll say this though, I'd far rather have a 40 point Virtanen than a 55 point Nylander.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Virtanen is one of the few guys that we have that has a positive impact on nearly every game.  He had been very good for the most part this season, I think he gets to 40 points for sure.   He is figuring it out now, a few years later than hoped.  I'll say this though, I'd far rather have a 40 point Virtanen than a 55 point Nylander.

Yeah, even when he isn't chipping in offensively his takeaway prowess and ability to play physical against anyone are huge assets.

The fan base sure is hot and cold with him though... not that long ago he was in 'group c' for not meeting off season fitness goals lol 

• Cheers 3

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:15 AM, Boudrias said:

If Jake breaks out in a serious way will Green get any credit?  

Probably not. Jake was a 6th OA draft pick, upping his play is expected. I'm not sure why it took Green 5 years to get Jake to where he is today. I think if anything, Green has held him back.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Probably not. Jake was a 6th OA draft pick, upping his play is expected. I'm not sure why it took Green 5 years to get Jake to where he is today. I think if anything, Green has held him back.

Green has had him for like 3ish years. Lol. I love Jake but Green has done decently well with his development. That year in Utica was the biggest reason Jake found a home in the NHL. Last couple years Jake has expanded on it. I would like for Green to give him more responsibility but overall Green helped get Jake here years ago in Utica. It was up to Jake to expand on what he was taught that year.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Green has had him for like 3ish years. Lol. I love Jake but Green has done decently well with his development. That year in Utica was the biggest reason Jake found a home in the NHL. Last couple years Jake has expanded on it. I would like for Green to give him more responsibility but overall Green helped get Jake here years ago in Utica. It was up to Jake to expand on what he was taught that year.

They brought up Jake too soon, and then had to send him back to develop for a year, and Green helped with that in Utica. But since being coach of the Canucks, Green has really limited Jake's ice time, even if he's one of the better players that evening. Rarely see him on the PP or in OT. It's a speed game and Green has his fastest player riding the pine. Green has an interesting way of coaching I guess. It's also nice to see Jake producing and playing a more well rounded game though.    

Nice to see Jake getting some recognition... but the "Langley native"  ??

The Langley native is currently in the middle of his most productive NHL stretch to date, racking up three goals and 10 points over an 11-game span. He's also matched his career high in assists (10) with still over half a season to go.

Jake Virtanen on track for career year

...Virtanen also lead the team in hits with a whopping 54 on the season

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-jake-virtanen/c-312848680 

13 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The second part of that headline sounds good, although I'm pretty sure I recall one of the Johns mentioning on last night's broadcast that Reaves has close to 200 hits already.  And he doesn't skate nearly as fast as Jake.

Reaves also only has 6 points this season

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I could be overthinking this but Virtanen has played better and better. Part of this I think is confidence. The other part of this, I think, is that Virtanen actually likes Green. And if Virt doesn't pick it up, he may feel like he would be part of the reason for getting a coach canned.

I noticed in the interview he did last game, he was composed and "mature" - reminded me of Horvat. I think we are finally seeing a settled down Virtanen. And if that happens, watch out. This kid shouldn't be written off.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think last night was the best all around game I've seen Jake play. No he didn't score, but he made smart plays all night and was physically engaged against a quite honestly terrifying Vegas team. In the past Jake would shy away from the tougher teams, which is understandable being so young. If he's starting to get some confidence in that area that will be huge for his career.

Almost forgot, was hilarious though when Reeves had him by the visor.

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I could be overthinking this but Virtanen has played better and better. Part of this I think is confidence. The other part of this, I think, is that Virtanen actually likes Green. And if Virt doesn't pick it up, he may feel like he would be part of the reason for getting a coach canned.

I noticed in the interview he did last game, he was composed and "mature" - reminded me of Horvat. I think we are finally seeing a settled down Virtanen. And if that happens, watch out. This kid shouldn't be written off.

I think he would also legitimately love to play his entire career in his home town for his favourite team growing up. he's said he'd like to play his whole career here and I think he realized his name was starting to pop up in trade rumours. JB even said something along the lines of "we really dont want to give up on jake, but if he doesnt put it together this year we'll have to look at our options", and maybe that's lit a fire under him.

• Upvote 1