The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

@SilentSam awhile ago you suggested Jake on the PP1 and I wasn’t against it then, but I’m with you now

The difference between Jake and Boeser at that position is Jake is rarely static,  the Pk D man on that point has a hard time following and controlling the gap..  Jake makes room for himself when he sees a lane opening.

Guadette is another worthy of floating up to the first PP from time to time.

Was never really saying either of these 2 should be on the 1pp indefinitely,  but me, you, we, as fans ,  have the luxury of seeing these wide angles on Tv.

Good on Jake, it’s the confidence moments like this that make the player better.

37 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The difference between Jake and Boeser at that position is Jake is rarely static,  the Pk D man on that point has a hard time following and controlling the gap..  Jake makes room for himself when he sees a lane opening.

Guadette is another worthy of floating up to the first PP from time to time.

Was never really saying either of these 2 should be on the 1pp indefinitely,  but me, you, we, as fans ,  have the luxury of seeing these wide angles on Tv.

Good on Jake, it’s the confidence moments like this that make the player better.

Yeah I posted something in the Guadette thread about Brock in the powerplays and why I think Guadette should take his spot

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Yeah I posted something in the Guadette thread about Brock in the powerplays and why I think Guadette should take his spot

There all capable of backing each other’s spot if one is having an off night,..   that’s the beauty of it.

Good Coaches can still sense a “hot” player.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:10 PM, Gaudette Celly said:

Green knows far more about Virtanen than any of us.  Who's to say he hasn't brought him along perfectly to where he is now, and to where he may yet end up.

44 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"We know he's got a good one-timer. His game is slowly progressing to where he's got a little powerplay time now. I'm happy for him, it's nice to see." - Green on Virtanen

On 12/20/2019 at 6:34 PM, Dats hockey said:

No excuses for some of the other guys but Larkin is the #1 option for Detroit that is a bad team, like what else do other teams have to watch out for other than Larkin?

Should also note ice-time:

Jake: 12:21

Larkin: 21:08

Even consider Ehlers and Nylander, who have 8 and 7 more points but get regular top-6 and PP time.  They also get 40% more total ice-time, so Jake actually has the same (NE) or better (WN) points per 60.

• Upvote 2

closing in on midseason id say hes getting closer to where everyone has thought he would reach. a top 2 line type of player. Question is if he can maintain this kind of focus or get back in to old ways and just play half-and-half. For now.....just enjoying the ride and i hope he can continue and take the next step instead of taking a step back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Jake scored from Ovie's spot just as I have been saying for forever.

Nice point. Jake's slapper and wrister can overpower a tender. I have no problem with how Green has brought Jake along. Jake has the ability for a very solid 200' game. Can play on both sides of the puck. Has a physical presence both on the boards and thru hitting. Fans tend to forget that Benning drafted Jake after the disaster 2014 Calgary series. Vancouver didn't really have a response up front to Ferland. Benning drafted size and physicality with Virtanen. Many of us have preached patience with Jake and he is now begining to come into his own.  If he goes into a ppg drought be patient. He will be hitting his prime in 3 years when the Canucks will be a serious CUP contender. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Nice point. Jake's slapper and wrister can overpower a tender. I have no problem with how Green has brought Jake along. Jake has the ability for a very solid 200' game. Can play on both sides of the puck. Has a physical presence both on the boards and thru hitting. Fans tend to forget that Benning drafted Jake after the disaster 2014 Calgary series. Vancouver didn't really have a response up front to Ferland. Benning drafted size and physicality with Virtanen. Many of us have preached patience with Jake and he is now begining to come into his own.  If he goes into a ppg drought be patient. He will be hitting his prime in 3 years when the Canucks will be a serious CUP contender. 

Actually Jake was drafted at #6 the year before the Calargy series. We selected Boeser at #23 after making the playoffs in 2015.

Edited by SynysterGates
  • Upvote 2

Imagine that,  being patient with a young power forward could pay off.  

JV is going to get a good long look in the top 6 in the coming weeks,  and is pretty well set up to capitalize in it.  

I still expect big things from him,  he is going to be very key when we return to the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm old enough to remember when 23 was right around when a player was expected to put it together.

I think the McDavid effect has ruined our expectations of when a player should be good, its gotta be right out of the draft or bustaroo, as our friend Alf says. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I think Guad should replace Bo. 

Having 2 quality RH shots would make it harder for the PK.  One at the point and one in the slot.