The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

44 minutes ago, Provost said:

Leivo also had a better production rate.  Virtanen was the 11th best PPG on the team and 9th best forward.

Jake has earned every bit of skepticism thrown his way.  It is up to him to prove he isn’t the player he has shown himself to be for the last 5 years.  He has been “about to break out” every year since being a rookie.

You missed out a few facts. This season among forwards Jake was 6th in points, 5th in goals (3rd in goals/60 among forwards with more than 20 games), 4th in points/60 among forwards with at least 20 games, 3rd in hits, second in takeaways (first in takeaways/60) and first on the team in game winning goals. But I see that you managed to find and focus on one stat that doesn't have him in the top 6. That seems a bit disingenuous.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's saying the right things... Now time to follow that up with some bonafide actions and results.

Nothing would makec coaches management, teammates and fans happier than Jake coming in to camp as one of the fittest guys and working his arse off in practice and in games.

I agree. He tends to say the right things but there’s a reason why actions speak louder than words.

Just half a year ago, half the team was busting its arse in bubble pre-season while Jake was partying at celebs. 

In other words, I’ll believe it when I see it. 

53 minutes ago, gurn said:

Points per game isn’t the same as points per minute played.

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I honestly think his supposed lack of 'IQ' gets over blown. I mean he's not the missing Sedin but...

His problem has always been his commitment/conditioning which then leads to an inability to be consistent both within a game (caught on a long shift, later in a hard game etc)

and from one game to the next (inability to stay consistent game to game in compressed schedule etc).  

And have you ever tried to make calm, clear and intelligent decisions while violently gasping for oxygen? Basically impossible. (And here's where I note that two of the so called smartest Canucks ever, were also two of the best conditioned... No coincidence)

It all shows up in his performance from game to game and trends over a season or even multiple seasons.

IMO it all stems from his lack of commitment and conditioning. If he were only to address that, it would ripple down through all his supposed weaknesses. Better conditioning = more able to play consistently shift to shift, even playing more minutes (the coach now trusts you with) or with the odd long/hard shift. Better able to recover and be consistent game to game. Better able to make smart puck decisions/plays when not light headed and gasping for breath.

It's not rocket science. That horse just needs to actually drink after being led to water so many &^@#ing times!

For the record, I wasn't meaning that he has low hockey IQ.  It was more about maturity, which is connected to conditioning.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

For the record, I wasn't meaning that he has low hockey IQ.  It was more about maturity, which is connected to conditioning.

Yeah sorry, that wasn't really directed specifically at you. Your post just encouraged a bit of a rant out of me :lol: More of a spring board than a counterpoint!

And yes, his maturity has damn near everything to do with his conditioning and that ripples out to his consistency (lack thereof) and supposed lack of IQ.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As I said last summer for Jake, Ill state again as my mantra for Jake this upcoming season.  I'm less concerned with the goals, points, and numbers statistically, I'm more concerned in Jake's process to the game.

Yes we need to see production follow, but considering that his consistency from a shift to shift basis waivers so widely, I just want to see him put things together consistently. Skating hard, getting hard on the forecheck, winning puck battles, being conscientious defensively, and being a thorn in the side of the opposition is what I would consider a huge win in his development.

I just want him to be consistent, be a predictable entity where you can count on him to just simply perform, where numbers and production can be the next step in worrying about for him.  Yes I want him to score, advance into the top six, and just pile up the numbers, but its got to start from a baseline of dependence and consistency.  Travis Green has shown time after time he will play guys who may not be the most skilled, but bring the most consistent efforts shift after shift and game after game.  People are perplexed why Eriksson, Sutter, Motte, Beagle get more mins than Jake, its simply because they try on each shift and each game.  They might not give you a whole lot offensively, but you can depend on them to bring what they bring.  

Hard work generally leads to numbers and opportunities most of the time.  That needs to be Jake's focus, be consistent and dependable.  

Yep, get the process right and the points will come.  It sure would be nice to see Virtanen step into the hole left by the departure of Toffoli.  Opportunity is there for the taking.  I hope he's finally figured out that it's go time.  We'll see.  Go Canucks Go!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goog16 said:

I like how Jake seems eager to be working with Myers and admitted he wants and needs to improve...I think if a season goes ahead Jake will have a breakout year!!

Really hope so, would love him to prove us wrong and show that he can be consistent. Really shows ability when he's on his game.

Have actually wondered if playing him up high on the Penalty kill, might help his defensive awareness while giving other teams D, something to worry about. His acceleration is at the very top of players in the league. I remember Bure being used in a similar fashion, give them something to worry about.

I can't believe that people literally think Jake is a terrible player and so immature be cause he Shot Gunned a beer.  I can't believe how petty people have  gotten when ever Jake does anything they perceived as questionable.  Even his signing a good contract for the team and reports of him working hard with Tyler in Kelowna.  I think some on here need to be more mature.  Jake isn't half as immature as some are showing here on our discussion forum.  B)

• Like 1