The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

Jake can shotgun a beer every day of the week for all I care. 

The criticism starts if he shows up to camp chubby again. 

You are a hater. Why don't you move along already. Let the kid develop at his own pace. IMO, he isn't Bystander, but he is a player I'd rather have. 

You must really have some major issue going on to continually jab at Jake. 

All the best to you. 

• Wat 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Guntrix is historically very harsh against Virtanen, but I think you're creating a mountain out of a molehill on this one. He's being reasonable in not blowing up over some random inconsequential drinking choices and then understandably holding off judgment until we see what Jake is like upon the start of training camp.

You're kidding, right?

The frog, and a crew of others incessantly bash Jake at every opportunity. As far as making a mountain out a molehill, talk to the frog.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

You're kidding, right?

The frog, and a crew of others incessantly bash Jake at every opportunity. As far as making a mountain out a molehill, talk to the frog.

Some people do seem to bash incessantly, but I don't see how you can read that one comment as bashing against Jake.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/22/2020 at 6:40 PM, aGENT said:

Yeah sorry, that wasn't really directed specifically at you. Your post just encouraged a bit of a rant out of me :lol: More of a spring board than a counterpoint!

And yes, his maturity has damn near everything to do with his conditioning and that ripples out to his consistency (lack thereof) and supposed lack of IQ.

I hope this is a correct association and explanation of Jake's history. Mostly because I think Myers will help Jake progress physically this offseason. It would be great to see a ripped/cardio beast Jake show up and see what that looks like. If he's still just OK at that point then at least we have a final understanding of what he is as a player. If I were forced to bet on it I'd probably still lean to him not being the sharpest tool in the shed but I'd like to be wrong. 

22 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope this is a correct association and explanation of Jake's history. Mostly because I think Myers will help Jake progress physically this offseason. It would be great to see a ripped/cardio beast Jake show up and see what that looks like. If he's still just OK at that point then at least we have a final understanding of what he is as a player. If I were forced to bet on it I'd probably still lean to him not being the sharpest tool in the shed but I'd like to be wrong. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, he's not the 'missing Sedin' for hockey IQ and never will be.

That doesn't mean he won't be able to more consistently make better decisions out there when he's not gasping for oxygen and be simply 'ok' to 'good' with his decision making.

And I'll point out again, that two of the highest IQ players we've ever had, were also two of the fittest players. IMO, that's not a coincidence. Their commitment to fitness fed every part of what made them HOF players. Including their famous 'IQ'.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, he's not the 'missing Sedin' for hockey IQ and never will be.

That doesn't mean he won't be able to more consistently make better decisions out there when he's not gasping for oxygen and be simply 'ok' to 'good' with his decision making.

And I'll point out again, that two of the highest IQ players we've ever had, we're also two of the fittest players. IMO, that's not a coincidence. Their commitment to fitness fed every part of what made them HOF players. Including their famous 'IQ'.

Totally, I’ve seen a big defenceman (albeit beer league) lose a chunk of weight and it was almost like a layer of fat came off his brain too.

He wasn’t just making more athletic decisions, he was able to process more quickly simultaneously.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And I'll point out again, that two of the highest IQ players we've ever had, we're also two of the fittest players. IMO, that's not a coincidence. Their commitment to fitness fed every part of what made them HOF players. Including their famous 'IQ'.

if the Sedins had Jakes physical gifts it would have been like having two Forslings. 

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Jimmy were you thinking of 2 Forsberg's?

yup. Sorry I was reading so many complaints about Canucks prospects today that I had a Freudian slip and said Forsling instead of Forsberg :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Sweet Gordie I hope Jake has finally figured it out and shows up to camp fit as hell and ready to kick some ass. I also hope he's working on his cardio and not just the 'beach muscles'.

To be honest, I'd rather hear about how fit Jake looks than how beefed up he looks.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To be honest, I'd rather hear about how fit Jake looks than how beefed up he looks.

I think Jake is working out hard as he is in Kelowna away from friends and working out with Myers....

This alone is good news...

Can you imagine a fit faster Jake, maybe discipline decided to work with teammate Myers and keep focused....Its all good news...

• Like 1