The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hoglander if he's on this team is only in a top 6 role. I doubt Greener has the cajones to run Hoglander and Jake in the top 6. Pearson is a safe pick for LW. Despite a Hoglander, Horvat, Boeser line sounding perfect. Miller Petey Virtanen have flashes of brilliance too. Honestly, all that matters to me is Eriksson is not in the top 6. Hoglander, Jake, whoever. Just don't have Eriksson in the top 6.

I think you're pretty safe there.  Unless of course there are an astounding number of injuries in practice.   

Go Canucks Go!

P.S. - I don't really believe in an impenetrable barrier between top 6 and bottom 6, players should be moved around based on need and based on their development.  Sure some are more suited to certain roles but it isn't cast in stone.  Thankfully there are a lot of options available so we don't really have to put people in roles they aren't comfortable with.  However a good NHL player has to be able to play in all situations even if they specialize in certain roles.

• Like 1

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-notebook-hoglander-wings-it-with-horvat-schmidt-is-a-laugh-track

“It will be up to him to decide where he plays — first, second third or fourth line,” said Green. “For us, it’s not what’s best for Jake. it’s what’s best for the team and he knows that as well. I’m not worried about finding a good fit (for Horvat). We started this way last year and we’ll find out in due time. We probably won’t know until couple of days before the Edmonton game.”

10 hours ago, goog16 said:

Jake looks to be in great shape!!! Glad he spent the summer with Myers!!!

bandicam 2021-01-04 22-05-33-626.jpg

Yeah I noticed his chin line is super tight. Hope he has a goood camp and can shake off all the years of controversy and bad vibes lol. If not the guys gonna need a change of venue. He looked somewhat confrontational later in the interview. He definitely is chomping at the bit and is ready to get going. I hope he comes out fast, physical and determined out of the gate.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Jake really looks like "Don't F with me". It is probably the best shape of his life and feel somewhat powerful right now. If he carries that persona through camp and into the regular season, we will be hearing Miley's Cyrus's " Came in like a wrecking ball!" 

Seriously, he looks to be in a totally different mind set. Maybe the excercise and hanging with a older guy has rubbed off! Let's hope! Confidence is a great weapon!

its not the body, its his brain I want to see developed. He might have turned that corner and grown up, and if so it will be a big year for him. He's always had the physical tools. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not the body, its his brain I want to see developed. He might have turned that corner and grown up, and if so it will be a big year for him. He's always had the physical tools. 

" he has always had the physical tools"

So, Jim, I may be way off here, but just because God gave you a body that "Looks" big, does not mean, it is totally ready. And you are right in terms that your mind set is so absolutely important, but when I was 20, I took a job in a rock pit, and I thought I was big and strong, then I worked in that pit for the 5 months, and I hardened up, I worked through the skinned knuckles, and I grew up. 

My dad had absolutely no time for my whining, and you learned to work through it. I would imagine that Myers learned those lessons early, and Jake had coasted on those legs of his.

Now, he gets with Myers, who is older, and its "no, no time for the lake, we will do that latter!" and Jake thinks oh, god!, but the time spent with Myers, puts him in that different mind set, or rather work ethic, and Myers says "its only a skinned knuckle, back to work!" so the mind is absolutely critical, but in doing so, Jake got stronger, and more confident.

That is what I meant and what I am hoping for.......we will see soon enough!

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

" he has always had the physical tools"

So, Jim, I may be way off here, but just because God gave you a body that "Looks" big, does not mean, it is totally ready. And you are right in terms that your mind set is so absolutely important, but when I was 20, I took a job in a rock pit, and I thought I was big and strong, then I worked in that pit for the 5 months, and I hardened up, I worked through the skinned knuckles, and I grew up. 

My dad had absolutely no time for my whining, and you learned to work through it. I would imagine that Myers learned those lessons early, and Jake had coasted on those legs of his.

Now, he gets with Myers, who is older, and its "no, no time for the lake, we will do that latter!" and Jake thinks oh, god!, but the time spent with Myers, puts him in that different mind set, or rather work ethic, and Myers says "its only a skinned knuckle, back to work!" so the mind is absolutely critical, but in doing so, Jake got stronger, and more confident.

That is what I meant and what I am hoping for.......we will see soon enough!

Jakes been physically dominant, or at least could be if he wanted to, for a long time now. He was a beast in juniors. He's always been fast too. 

Sometimes kids take 23/24 or so to really mature between the ears. I mean my god, if you have kids, particularly teens, you know that so many of them, particularly the guys,  are as sharp as a sack of wet mice. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Jakes been physically dominant, or at least could be if he wanted to, for a long time now. He was a beast in juniors. He's always been fast too. 

Sometimes kids take 23/24 or so to really mature between the ears. I mean my god, if you have kids, particularly teens, you know that so many of them, particularly the guys,  are as sharp as a sack of wet mice. 

LOL...oh, yes! LOL I hired about 10 college students every summer, and most were incredible, but every once in a while, you got the "Guy", who just could not apply himself.

But amazingly, the guy I remember, was stricter that I was, and had absolutely no ha, ha! The kids would take the weekend off and go party and this guy sat at home. He also was

the first guy to complain about someone not holding their end up. Eventually, I took him aside, and gave him a big brother talk, and told him to go out and have some fun, and let

me worry about the other stuff. He had a great rest of the summer, and really grew as a man. One of my favorite guys. He became an airline pilot. Cool guy!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Jake really looks like "Don't F with me". It is probably the best shape of his life and feel somewhat powerful right now. If he carries that persona through camp and into the regular season, we will be hearing Miley's Cyrus's " Came in like a wrecking ball!" 

Seriously, he looks to be in a totally different mind set. Maybe the excercise and hanging with a older guy has rubbed off! Let's hope! Confidence is a great weapon!

Please be fat... please be fat.......

Edited by FaninMex
  • Wat 2

If Jake is in fact  in the best shape of his career, that does help him on the mental side as well.  Being in better physical shape will allow him to think clearer as his oxygen levels will be better allowing him to make better decisions on the ice (especially at the end of his shift). B)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

He looked somewhat confrontational later in the interview. He definitely is chomping at the bit and is ready to get going. I hope he comes out fast, physical and determined out of the gate.

I love this.

This is the first REAL attitude I have seen from Jack, I have seen the boy cockiness when the Van. media mutton heads start in on him.

But that little stint shows he has a little better control of his emotions, and I for one have been waiting for that.

I think this is the year we get to see "Jack the man" not Jake the boy. 

4 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

I love this.

This is the first REAL attitude I have seen from Jack, I have seen the boy cockiness when the Van. media mutton heads start in on him.

But that little stint shows he has a little better control of his emotions, and I for one have been waiting for that.

I think this is the year we get to see "Jack the man" not Jake the boy. 

His name change to Jack is news to me.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah I noticed his chin line is super tight. Hope he has a goood camp and can shake off all the years of controversy and bad vibes lol. If not the guys gonna need a change of venue. He looked somewhat confrontational later in the interview. He definitely is chomping at the bit and is ready to get going. I hope he comes out fast, physical and determined out of the gate.

Can't say I blame either of them for feeling a bit confrontational with the media. Too many "so have you stopped beating up your girlfriend" type questions. Looked like they maybe had a bet about how many questions they would get before some idiot asked about their weight.

1410 pages on Jake Virtanen.

Team can't win without him, if they fail it is his fault.

Just imagine if they do run him out of town, you do know he has family that has to hear how bad he is all the time.

Once he is gone then who can they possibly blame so they don't have to look at Management.

Jake is as good as Beagle,Sutter, Roussel, Gaudette, MacEwen, Pearson, close to Boeser if he got the same chances or ice time, as a matter of fact anyone would be hard pressed to name 5 forwards better than him and his statistics that are cheaper or a better bang for the buck.

1410 pages, over ONE single player. Talk about following what the media feeds the masses. IMO I would be much more concerned about Pearson and his contract coming due combined with the cap savings the team will need over the next 3 years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

1410 pages on Jake Virtanen.

Team can't win without him, if they fail it is his fault.

Just imagine if they do run him out of town, you do know he has family that has to hear how bad he is all the time.

Once he is gone then who can they possibly blame so they don't have to look at Management.

Jake is as good as Beagle,Sutter, Roussel, Gaudette, MacEwen, Pearson, close to Boeser if he got the same chances or ice time, as a matter of fact anyone would be hard pressed to name 5 forwards better than him and his statistics that are cheaper or a better bang for the buck.

1410 pages, over ONE single player. Talk about following what the media feeds the masses. IMO I would be much more concerned about Pearson and his contract coming due combined with the cap savings the team will need over the next 3 years.

To be fair though. Olli Juolevi has over 700 pages and Quinn Hughes has over 300 pages. Both were drafted at later dates. With Juolevi you could argue it's because he has yet to enter the NHL at all (although he'd probably have a lot more by now if he was), but with Hughes, that's completely the opposite in that he is in the NHL and doing extremely well.

So just because a player has so many pages about him, can't really judge it by that. All that really says is that people like talking about Virtanen, which I think's fine. We have a passionate fanbase. What's wrong with being passionate?