The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

BIG Jake Virtanen, 24 yrs old, 6'1, 210 lbs---- Jake is in the right mind with players like Miller and Myers working with him..

Jake will use his speed and size to his advantage and cause havoc and make scoring chances ..

Can't wait to see #18 using speed, big train heading to the net, great shot..

• Cheers 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Petey_BOI said:

Instead of Jake Virtanen and OJ we should have drafted <INSERT BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER HERE> the only reason we Didn't was because Benning Didn't listen to Judd Bracket. What a God Judd Bracket is, Too bad Benning Let the wayne Gretzky of scouts go because of him being a selfish GM in wanting a say in his Draft picks.

Not only is the ridiculous for its ability to be false about the relative roles/insights between Benning and Brackett, it is implying that any GM who in years following any draft didn't pick the better hindsight players was "selfish" or similar.    There is not a SINGLE GM in the NHL who has been in place as long as Benning who hasn't wins and warts in their drafting record but few can match Benning's overall success and, in fact, many see him in top five over his tenure period in this regard.

I often wonder how some of you get these fantasy inventions about how this all works.   

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not only is the ridiculous for its ability to be false about the relative roles/insights between Benning and Brackett, it is implying that any GM who in years following any draft didn't pick the better hindsight players was "selfish" or similar.    There is not a SINGLE GM in the NHL who has been in place as long as Benning who hasn't wins and warts in their drafting record but few can match Benning's overall success and, in fact, many see him in top five over his tenure period in this regard.

I often wonder how some of you get these fantasy inventions about how this all works.   

Do me a favor and go flush your toilet. and then report back what it sounds like.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Opening night first line is a good place to start.   

Ya, no pressure here facing McDavid etal. But it is a shot. I just hope they, coaches, don't grind him too much because he won't be the only guy on the ice. He may be the only guy that is faster than McDavid on the Canucks, he did skate away from him 2 years ago for a breakaway.

14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:
20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do me a favor and go flush your toilet. and then report back what it sounds like.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I did and heard you scream.

My opinion of Benning is that he is the worst GM Vancouver has ever had and it is backed up by the number of top 10 picks he has had, the shear number of draft picks, the record number of losses and records of most losing seasons, worst trades made, most clause contracts signed and his recent comment that he thinks it will take another 3 to 5 years to get there. ? where? It looks to me like a Colorado type rebuild coming.

Hey, one other thing, if the team has less than success, say less than Ottawa and being within 6 points of them should be considered failure. Well he will be on the last year of his contract come June, Green isn't signed and there are quite a few possible GM's out there.

To tell the truth I believe Benning's contract is up this year if ownership doesn't exercise the optional year

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

41 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I did and heard you scream.

satire
[ˈsaˌtī(ə)r]

NOUN
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

Ya, no pressure here facing McDavid etal. But it is a shot. I just hope they, coaches, don't grind him too much because he won't be the only guy on the ice. He may be the only guy that is faster than McDavid on the Canucks, he did skate away from him 2 years ago for a breakaway.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

My opinion of Benning is that he is the worst GM Vancouver has ever had and it is backed up by the number of top 10 picks he has had, the shear number of draft picks, the record number of losses and records of most losing seasons, worst trades made, most clause contracts signed and his recent comment that he thinks it will take another 3 to 5 years to get there. ? where? It looks to me like a Colorado type rebuild coming.

Hey, one other thing, if the team has less than success, say less than Ottawa and being within 6 points of them should be considered failure. Well he will be on the last year of his contract come June, Green isn't signed and there are quite a few possible GM's out there.

To tell the truth I believe Benning's contract is up this year if ownership doesn't exercise the optional year

Mike Gillis did an amazing job as GM of enticing players to sign in Vancouver. The professionals he hired to manange cap, sleep cycles etc etc...... However, Gillis sacrificed the future for “the now”

He left our organization in shambles. We had almost ZERO prospects. The only one that worked out was Horvat... Not Schroeder, not Subban, Shirokov, Shinkaruk etc etc etc....

Benning on the otherhand has turned this franchise around on a dime. We have not had to endure the length of a rebuild such as Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado, Florida etc etc....

And while he has built this team into a very competitive roster, he has also stocked us up on prospect depth. We can afford to let guys walk who were big for us, such as Marky and Tanev, and not try to desparately hold on like an ex girlfriend

• Like 3
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

As much as I ride Virtanen... he actually played well in a different way than he normally does when he has a good game.

He was just pretty solid, made good defensive plays, and just seemed like he was following the game better.  Maybe some of it is their defensive structure being simpler and easier for him to know where to be.

I don’t remember many games when his play without the puck is how he stood out.

If he can turn into a dependable high end 3rd liner who can just play like that every night while potting in 15-20 goals and 30-40 points a year... that makes a big difference to our fortunes.  Maybe Hoglander taking the top 6 spot could be the best thing to happen to Jake.  It makes it clear he doesn’t have to be a hero and do too much.

Of course I still think he needs to show that over a long stretch of time before people believe he can do that.  

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, wildcam said:

BIG Jake Virtanen, 24 yrs old, 6'1, 210 lbs---- Jake is in the right mind with players like Miller and Myers working with him..

Jake will use his speed and size to his advantage and cause havoc and make scoring chances ..

Can't wait to see #18 using speed, big train heading to the net, great shot..

LOL wow go Jake go Once Miller gets back Jake is back to the third line . 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

LOL wow go Jake go Once Miller gets back Jake is back to the third line . 

I wonder, if Jake does good enough could a trade with Columbus for DuBois happen? Torts loves Miller now, cap hits work, the team is winning without Miller playing, leadership is obviously not a problem for Horvat.

• Like 1