The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Why does JB like a player like Vey so much, but not Nylander? If Benning wanted a fast, skilled guy, like Vey why didn't he draft Nylander? Nylander under the Sedins tutelage would have been amazing. Albeit Nylander is about 3-4 years away, but he could have been a future 1/2 centerman with star power. I wish we would have been able to get Reinhart, but Nylander was my second choice and he was right there waiting for us. I hope JV will be a good player for us, yay...

Edited by Tangerines

Yes, he did highfive the opposing team in that goal, but that's a good thing. Gotta love a player that plays in the opponent's face, I thin he's Perry 2.0. He does agitate, but he also backs it up and can score a hell of a lot of goals. Honestly, the things you can't teach are skating and shot, from which Virtanen ranks the highest. As per this hockey IQ nonsense, well those posting that criticism seem to be the crowd with general lack of IQ. In terms of hockey IQ, that stuff can be taught, with good coaching and awareness it's really that simple.

Anyways, what I found interesting is the behind the scenes vid from the draft meeting (I hope they release more of these):

What's most interesting is the last comment, "he'll find a way to contribute". This bodes well for Virtanen, and is essentially implying that when he's not scoring he's still a physical, agitating force. He's a guy that can still be effective if he's not scoring, you can't say that about the Euros in this draft. If anything watching lengthy droughts from the likes of Vanek, Hemsky, Grabner, Yakupov, just highlights this point.

Yes, he did highfive the opposing team in that goal, but that's a good thing. Gotta love a player that plays in the opponent's face, I thin he's Perry 2.0. He does agitate, but he also backs it up and can score a hell of a lot of goals. Honestly, the things you can't teach are skating and shot, from which Virtanen ranks the highest. As per this hockey IQ nonsense, well those posting that criticism seem to be the crowd with general lack of IQ. In terms of hockey IQ, that stuff can be taught, with good coaching and awareness it's really that simple.

I wouldn't say he has a bad hockey IQ. If he did then he probably wouldn't have scored 45 goals. He knows when to use his speed and can see a play develop before it happens to get in the right area for a pass. He doesn't have bad hockey IQ, he just needs to learn how to use his teammates more.

I wouldn't say he has a bad hockey IQ. If he did then he probably wouldn't have scored 45 goals. He knows when to use his speed and can see a play develop before it happens to get in the right area for a pass. He doesn't have bad hockey IQ, he just needs to learn how to use his teammates more.

The part that intrigues me the most is that he's only 17 and he put up those numbers. He has a lot of room to grow and mature as a person and a hockey player. It seems like he wants to improve in every area of his game, and he will have more drive now knowing he can be a star player for his favourite team.

I guess if you were to compare Virtanen to Nylander they both have different elements/qualities to their game, but also some similarities.

They both have blazing speed.

They can both shoot the puck very well.

Nylander has better hockey IQ maybe, but Jake can improve in this area with the right coaching(he's only 17).

Jake has a bigger frame, and can fight, hit, and drive threw other players if necessary.

Nylander is a better passer.

Virtanen is a better goal scorer.

If they both reach their ceilings..

Nylander = Giroux

Virtanen = Iginla

Both will be great players IMO.

Edited by Tangerines

I guess if you were to compare Virtanen to Nylander they both have different elements/qualities to their game, but also some similarities.

They both have blazing speed.

They can both shoot the puck very well.

Nylander has better hockey IQ maybe, but Jake can improve in this area with the right coaching(he's only 17).

Jake has a bigger frame, and can fight, hit, and drive threw other players if necessary.

Nylander is a better passer.

Virtanen is a better goal scorer.

If they both reach their ceilings..

Nylander = Giroux

Virtanen = Iginla

Both will be great players IMO.

Still skeptical about Jake's overall ceiling but he's a very safe pick to make the NHL. As Benning said in the pre draft; he will find a way to contribute. Him being as young as he is compared to his peers in this draft is a definite bonus and he's a hometown kid so he will bleed for this team. However, I don't think he can and will improve his hockey IQ too much. IMO he will never be a player that can cycle and create opportunities for others ( aside from rebounds of course) but I can see him elevating his game when it matters the most..the playoffs.

I think with time he will learn the game better. It will slow down for him and he will be able to make better plays, same way Kassian has made steps. Not a great NHL mind, but with time he learns to look for the right things.

Virtanen Horvat Jensen

Shinkaruk McCann Kassian

Gaunce Vey Cassels

There's a lot to like for the next few years.

I think that third line could be really good. All good thinkers and hard workers who play a physical game with great shots.

I dont know why people are bitching. This guy is a great mare that just needs to be broken in. He was rated the most physical,best shot,fastest player... ect.. If he is developed properly he could be a star in the league for sure.

Look how quickly he is healing hes a freak. He acts and looks like hes in his 20's not a 17 year old kid. I would like to know at which point in the season he got injured. He was arguably Canada's best player at the U18's.

I think with time he will learn the game better. It will slow down for him and he will be able to make better plays, same way Kassian has made steps. Not a great NHL mind, but with time he learns to look for the right things.

I agree that in time, Jake will develop a greater sense of the game around him. If management feels it is an area of concern, then they will provide him with every opportunity to improve - video, mentorship, an increased emphasis on creativity, brain stimulating activities..

Kassian has always been a very gifted playmaker, while Virtanen is a noted shoot-first winger. Both will need to continue to develop their all around hockey sense, but they could become fantastic line mates one day.

Virtanen True #1 C Kassian --------> Ryan Johansen would look amazing here. Dare to dream.

Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen

Cassels McCann Gaunce

Just need to find that young, high level #1 centre prospect and maybe a true #1 D.

That shouldn't be a problem, those types grow on trees, right?

• Upvote 1