The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanen worked on cycling a bit last year. I don't think he would be with the Sedins right away, but he very well could be in two years. Virtanen's ability to jus launch guys trying to hit him would meld well with the Sedins. Playing with other players could teach him how to forecheck, playing with the Sedins could teach him how to use his teammates. He wouldn't necessarily play with them in the playoffs, but it could be very good for his development. It gives us options.

Yeah, you see the Sedin's reliance on cycling makes them easy to defend - all you have to do is cut off the passing lane between them (not like Gretzky who wouldn't exclusively pass to Kurri, or take the shot himself), or play them physically. A north-south Virtanen on their wing should complement them by at least warding off defenders, or even helping altar their usual game.

i think what we can all agree on is that we would like to see every player, (bar maybe Sbisa) play an exhibition game with the twins.

I'd actually be curious to see Kenins play with the twins.

He reminds me of a young Burrows. Plays a simple game and knows how to get open and shoot.

Could work.

Yeah, you see the Sedin's reliance on cycling makes them easy to defend - all you have to do is cut off the passing lane between them (not like Gretzky who wouldn't exclusively pass to Kurri, or take the shot himself), or play them physically. A north-south Virtanen on their wing should complement them by at least warding off defenders, or even helping altar their usual game.

Yeah it's not as if the Sedins are bad on the rush. They're near the best I've seen in terms of moving the puck up the ice fast. Having a fast guy who can shoot can be deadly with outlet passes. You bring up a great point with their shooting hands too. I think we should see how Burrows goes with Sutter, and then Virt with the Sedins could have serious consideration. We don't have many puckmoving defensemen but Virtanen's north south style might help there.

I am not sure we should throw Jake on the Sedin line right out of the gate. They will likely eat 18-20 minutes and face the toughest competition. Assuming Jake proves he is ready this season sliding him in the 3rd/4th line which would eat 10-13 minutes against so-so competition might be more beneficial.

He is super young there is no rush to make him a top 6 player. Let him learn the system and get his feet wet with little expectations in the bottom 6. Maybe throw him some PP time with his wicked shot, being right handed is also a plus. No rush.

Virtanen is not a great match with the Sedin's.

Capable - yes, good match - no.

The most ideal person to play with them will be in 2 years while their second line players.

They can mentor Brock Boeser during his first year.

Show him how to be a pro, while his style of being right shot/lethal shot/ability to get open to take those shots.

The Sedins main need in a linemate is someone to get the pucks for them. Vrbata couldn't do that. It has to be someone fast who does good work in the corners.

The Sedins need guys like that have high hockey IQ and that are good in the corners. We've tried big players (Kassian, Pyatt, Benier) all with differing skill-sets and they haven't worked out great. We've tried pure skill guys (Demitra, Vrbata) and they've been OK. Burrows (and to a lesser extent Carter) has complemented them the best squeezing out more production retaliative to being away from the Sedins than the rest of their wingers. This is largely due to his high hockey IQ and ability to cycle.

Unfortunately, Virtanen isn't a high hockey IQ guy, at least not right now and in the sense of positioning and play-making. Sure the Sedins would make him better, but he'd likely make the Sedins worse (in comparison to another winger like Vrbata and Burrows). They might line up together on the second line in 2-3 years but not right now.

• Upvote 1

i really want to see this line during an exabition game:

Kenins - Horvat - Virtanen

and hopefully this lineup come game 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Sedin

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Prust - Friesen - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Weber

Corrado

The Sedins need guys like that have high hockey IQ and that are good in the corners. We've tried big players (Kassian, Pyatt, Benier) all with differing skill-sets and they haven't worked out great. We've tried pure skill guys (Demitra, Vrbata) and they've been OK. Burrows (and to a lesser extent Carter) has complemented them the best squeezing out more production retaliative to being away from the Sedins than the rest of their wingers. This is largely due to his high hockey IQ and ability to cycle.

Unfortunately, Virtanen isn't a high hockey IQ guy, at least not right now and in the sense of positioning and play-making. Sure the Sedins would make him better, but he'd likely make the Sedins worse (in comparison to another winger like Vrbata and Burrows). They might line up together on the second line in 2-3 years but not right now.

Pretty much this. As I said a page or two ago, Virtanen's speed and physicality would certainly be assets with (or without) the twins but even though his 'IQ' is better than a lot of people here give him credit for, it's nowhere near where Burrows or Vrbata's at this point.

Sure he could go in with speed banging and crashing but once he does that, he's going to be way behind those other two guys (who are currently better options) on where to go, what to do with/without the puck, cycling, reading the play etc.

If we're playing him anywhere in the top 9, his North/South and speed game is a far better match with the likes of Baer/Sutter, Horvat/Hansen etc. That said, I fully expect him to at least start on the 4th line if he makes the big club and be eased in with low expectations, responsibility and pressure. We're not Edmonton, we don't need to (nor are we better off) rushing him in to a high pressure top 6 role.

If, by the end of the year, he's on the third line and 2nd PP, he's doing FANTASTIC IMO.

Burrows is still currently the best fit. I honestly don't see anyone else fitting there at the moment.

Agreed.

Edited by J.R.

Sedin - Sedin - Sedin

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Weber

Corrado

What happened to Higgins, Hansen and Vey?

I agree he should be a RW. But RW looks harder to crack (Burrows, Vrbata, Hansen, Dorsett and Vey when not playing center.).

Like I said in an earlier post he would have to change his style and even if he did he would largely be ineffective. Better to not burn a year on his ELC and UFA eligibility and take a slow and steady approach.

I think Benning will want him on the team but I don't think WD will want him on the team this year.

Well, Vrbata will likely be gone at or before the trade deadline.

Vey really doesn't fit in my opinion. I think he will be gone if he underperforms early.

That leaves a spot for Jake. He already plays like a man ala Horvat. I think he is better off playing against men being mentored by professionls. He can't do that in the AHL so I think he makes the team unless he isn't ready.

Edited by Borvat

Sedin - Sedin - Sedin

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Weber

Corrado

Was this lineup proposal made at McDonald's because I'm loving it
  • Upvote 3

Sedin - Sedin - Sedin

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Weber

Corrado

I don't know why you would take Hansen off of Horvat's wing, really those two made the line go with Kenins doing a good support job and getting open. Hansen and Horvat really compliment each other because they are excellent 2 way players with speed, and you can tell when one guy is going the others feed off of it. I expect big things from Kenins this season too.

What the Canucks really need is a guy like Prust who can actually play C between Dorsett and Virtanen. Just play a simple North South game, forcheck hard and hem the other team in their zone. Virtanen is a good enough player that he'll put the puck in the neck, and he'll be mentored and backed up well by those two. All IMO of course

Sedin - Sedin - Sedin

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Weber

Corrado

So there was 3 twins all the time...they should last many more years with one of the triplets resting at any given time...

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego