The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He's skilled, point per game in the WHL, but he doesn't have Ehlers or Nylander-level skill. Those kids are on another level to Virtanen. Sure, Virtanen's got a bigger body and plays a more rounded game but like I've said, we've got enough of those players, and we've got no one in our lineup on the same echelon as say Nylander skill-wise.

Our prospect pool is getting stupidly one-dimensional. Horvat, Jensen, Virtanen, Kassian and Gaunce are all very similar players.

We did get lucky with drafting McCann (surprised he fell so late) so hopefully he develops a bit more pure skill, and although Cassels is up there in the OHL scoring he's more of a two-way forward just like the rest of our prospects.

I'd rather have that big bodied forward who can play physical, scores goals (he has an NHL calibre shot already) than Nylander/Ehlers come playoff time.

• Upvote 1

He's skilled, point per game in the WHL, but he doesn't have Ehlers or Nylander-level skill. Those kids are on another level to Virtanen. Sure, Virtanen's got a bigger body and plays a more rounded game but like I've said, we've got enough of those players, and we've got no one in our lineup on the same echelon as say Nylander skill-wise.

Our prospect pool is getting stupidly one-dimensional. Horvat, Jensen, Virtanen, Kassian and Gaunce are all very similar players.

We did get lucky with drafting McCann (surprised he fell so late) so hopefully he develops a bit more pure skill, and although Cassels is up there in the OHL scoring he's more of a two-way forward just like the rest of our prospects.

You've probably never seen Virtanen play a single god damn game.

Also, you probably have never seen Ehlers/Nylander play a game either. You don't have to admit it, it's quite obvious from your post...

Kassian is similar to Horvat... What? I guess they're both... Forwards?

Edited by Senpai
  • Upvote 3

whattt kinda drugs are you high on bro how are horvat jensen virtanen, kassian and gaunce similar players

horvat and gaunce are two way centers that play in key moments in game

jensen is a sniper

kassian is a power forward

virtanen is full package hits big body scores and fastest skater in chl

only thing that similar about them is they will own league in 2-3 yrs

• Upvote 1

One day we're going to look back at these kind of posts and share a good laugh.

• Upvote 2

I don't propose to put words in Downunds mouth but I get the feeling he is a little frustrated seeing the likes of McKinnon, Duchene, RNH,, Yakupov, Tavares, Kane, Crosby, etc, etc etc go to teams other than the Canucks. By the sounds of his post he would like to see a flashy dangle here, cut and deke there, goal scoring excitement machine on the Canucks roster. Hard to obtain but even if you have those types of players without a good solid team around them you don't get the best out of them. Just look at the comments about Yakupov at the moment, a lot of his issues are because the team around him is relatively poor and doesn't allow him to play his all out offensive game, with players like Guance, and Horvat around him he would probably not be so hung out to dry.

I am excited that there seems to be a plan within the organisation to build a solid core of smart , character focussed players that the Canucks can build around, they seem to be building a solid foundation which they can add "flash" to going forward. I have liked the majority of the draft picks for the last few years, I will admit I wanted Ehlers at the draft but after thinking about the selections made and looking at what I think the vision for the team is, I think the best selection at 6 last year was the one the Canucks made. Virtanen has started the new season with a bang and if all goes well he will have a great season and be a huge boost to Utica next year.

• Upvote 1

You've probably never seen Virtanen play a single god damn game.

Also, you probably have never seen Ehlers/Nylander play a game either. You don't have to admit it, it's quite obvious from your post...

Kassian is similar to Horvat... What? I guess they're both... Forwards?

Both are from Ontario. I think he's got a point, you guys.

• Upvote 1

I still believe we should have drafted skill, considering what this team already has.

Kassian - big, physical, cannot score this season. He's been a 5 year project and still isn't really paying off.

Hansen - gritty forward, hands of stone. Can't score.

Matthias - former 1st rounder, big and physical but again not skilled enough to score.

Jensen - former 1st rounder, big body and a bit of skill but has 1 goal in the AHL so far this year and hasn't made a proper jump to the NHL in quite a few seasons yet.

Horvat - former 1st rounder, big and physical but is still yet to score a professional hockey point.

Gaunce - former 1st rounder, big and physical but hasn't cracked the NHL lineup or shown much goal scoring prowess in the AHL

Most of these guys are big strong forwards with not a whole lot of skill, but play a "200 foot", complete game. Therefore, obviously they need more time to develop as players compared to the skilled, speedy kids who jump into the league straight away, but they're still not producing for us. Kassian is yet to make the jump to the top-6 that we've all been waiting for after a bunch of years battling with inconsistency and inability to score goals. Matthias is probably ruined (but we can blame Florida for that). As for Jensen, Horvat and Gaunce, it's definately too early to tell, but none of them are "wow-ing" anyone the way first rounders are supposed to.

This team's prospect pool is lacking 2 huge things right now - skilled forwards and defencemen. We've got enough goalies and powerforwards, now Benning needs to start drafting skill, because quite frankly the only skilled forwards we have right now who will be part of our future are Shinkaruk and Vey. Unless Benning is planning on drafting projects he can develop himself while continuing to trade for young skill, he better draft some in the 2015 draft. Benning passed on the best opportunity he had to get a replacement for Henrik Sedin and a future 1st line centerman in Nylander so he better find us a highly skilled future 1st line center in the 2015 draft, because this team needs a future franchise player to build around.

Virtanen is our best prospect. You know nothing.

Hansen - gritty forward, hands of stone. Can't score.

Matthias - former 1st rounder, big and physical but again not skilled enough to score.

Horvat - former 1st rounder, big and physical but is still yet to score a professional hockey point.

These three in particular stand out to me as really... off points.

Hansen is a fourth liner (or third, sometimes) he really should have no impact on who we draft in the first round, ever. His job is to be gritty, not to put up huge points. Again, I don't see how he would impact that decision at all.

Matthias isn't a former first rounder, he was a second round pick. Again, I don't see how a bottom six forward impacts who we pick at sixth. Virtanen is a scorer who plays a physical game, not a grinder.

When we drafted Virtanen, Horvat hadn't played a single game of professional hockey so of course he had no pro points. Even looking at now, he's on a conditioning stint in Utica after being injured, he might not even be expected to be a pro hockey player this year (and Utica was just for a taste). No one really has any idea what he will bring offensively when he becomes a full time pro.

I would be surprised if the first two are even with the team by the time the 2014 picks past the top three are coming into their own.

Edited by BananaMash