The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He has the lowest shooting percentage out of any forward with more than 2 goals. 

On one hand he is unlucky and at least he is shooting the puck. On the other, he has a low shooting percentage against AHL goalies. Is he more or less Utica's Jack Skille with more ice time?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Agreed.  Growing up a bit.  It's great that he would honour his friend like that.

He's looking fit.

It sounds like it was a topic that was different than the usual media run through and one that was important to Jake. I think that's why he looked like he actually cared in that interview and was more articulate. 

It's probably a bit of both. 

4 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

You are assuming though that at this stage Nylander is a finished product as well, and comparing him to a finished product in Baer. It just doesn't make sense. 

If Nylander can round into form (and he's actually doing it in the NHL unlike Jake) then he's a 80 point C/RW. That is impossible to find, much harder than a Virtanen type.

Your assuming both are finished products. I am not.  

Let's cut to the chase here.

There can be no doubt Willie Desjardins had Jake playing a hell of a lot better than the coaches in Utica. The boy has totally submarined since he went down there and whatever they are trying is just not working imo.

If I were management, and given that he is at least now back in condition, I would bring him back up to Vancouver and let Willie develop him. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and will now keep himself in shape. If not then it is back down to Utica or worse.

A lot of people dis Willie on here but there is no doubt he had Jake playing an NHL game after he came back from the WJC, to the extent that I had totally changed my mind about sending him down the following (this) season.

I will go further and say having watched McCann a good few times for Florida, it is my opinion Willie also had him playing better in Vancouver.

He lacked size at that time but many of us saw his potential under WD. I would say that despite his increase in size and weight he seems to have regressed in Florida.

Sorry guys, can't figure out how to embed tweets properly yet. Anyways, here are Ray's level-headed thoughts on the discussion at hand.

.@rayferrarotsn: Virtanen is 20. He's really in his first year of pro hockey. I'm in no rush to bring him back.

12:19 PM - 8 Feb 2017

.@rayferraroTSN on Virtanen 2: The longer you keep him in a position to grow, you're doing him a service.

12:19 PM - 8 Feb 2017

.@rayferrarotsn on Virtanen 3: If you bring him back and nothing happens, now you've got a problem

12:20 PM - 8 Feb 2017

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

There can be no doubt Willie Desjardins had Jake playing a hell of a lot better than the coaches in Utica. The boy has totally submarined since he went down there and whatever they are trying is just not working imo.

If I were management, and given that he is at least now back in condition, I would bring him back up to Vancouver and let Willie develop him. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and will now keep himself in shape. If not then it is back down to Utica or worse.

A lot of people dis Willie on here but there is no doubt he had Jake playing an NHL game after he came back from the WJC, to the extent that I had totally changed my mind about sending him down the following (this) season.

I will go further and say having watched McCann a good few times for Florida, it is my opinion Willie also had him playing better in Vancouver.

He lacked size at that time but many of us saw his potential under WD. I would say that despite his increase in size and weight he seems to have regressed in Florida.

I think the problem isn't the coaching but the fact that Jake isn't ready to play in the NHL. He wasn't last year either.

He's a 20 yr-old kid! He's playing hockey with players who care, work hard, celebrate victories, **** and moan over losses, but return to practice determined to fix what's wrong. They are playing a kid's game and getting paid for it. He's a member of the team, one of the guys. there are also enough guys who have been around long enough to help him learn what it takes to be pro from everything to eating properly, getting good rest, taking care of yourself, developing responsible behaviors while 3,000 miles from home on your own. These guys become family and this community treats them like their older kids, but don't put them up on some god like pedestal and plaster their faces on bill boards, commercials, and TV spots. He's learning to fit in and get along. He's not a BMOC here. He's just one of the Comets and the kids lookup to hi mas such and he has a role to live up to. He's serving meals at a soup kitchen. Delivering turkey dinners to shut ins at Christmas. visiting dying kids in a special hospital environment. He's being "growed up" as my grandmother used to say.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=127925239&postcount=655

Just thought this was an interesting post about Jake. I have to admire the fact that he is volunteering his time and getting involved with the local community.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Stonker,

Who is the Maestro Desjardins you speak of, I have never heard of him?  

So rushing prospects back to the NHL is the proper way to develop them?  

Especially when the coach you you love so much has stated that the NHL is not a development league.  So less practice time, less  one on one coaching and tougher competition is the cure?  

I know you think Willie is awesome and all, but this is a bit much. Jake needs to earn his way back.  Him just getting into game shape is not enough. Jake needs to go thru his development away from Vancouver, away from the media and the CDC. Let him get hungry for that pay check and the first class lifestyle he can have if he earns it. 

This guy needs time, Green is more than capable of developing players in Utica. 

EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Stonker,

Who is the Maestro Desjardins you speak of, I have never heard of him?  

So rushing prospects back to the NHL is the proper way to develop them?  

Eapecially when the coach you you love so much has stated that the NHL is not a development league.  So less practise time, less  one on one coaching and tougher competition is the cure?  

I know you think Willie is awesome and all, but this is a bit much. Jake needs to earn his way back.  Him just getting into game shape is not enough. Jake needs to go thru his development away from Vancouver, away from the media and the CDC. Let him get hungry for that pay check and the first class lifestyle he can have if he earns it. 

This guy needs time, Green is more than capable of developing players in Utica. 

EW

The way Jake is playing, he might be better off developing in the ECHL.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The way Jake is playing, he might be better off developing in the ECHL.

Sure,

but think of it this way, as Ray Ferraro put it, this is Jakes first year as a pro, last year was such an anomaly, he should have been in Junior. 

Jake plays last year and has trouble adjusting to the AHL, so what.  The only thing making this hard for serous fans is his NHL time last season. 

Green is fine with him, he is apparently working hard in practise and off the ice. He looks way leaner in that recent interview.  

Let's say Jake is having an extreme makeover Green style.  He is going to be rebuilt from the ground up and have to earn his time.   

It makes stat watching easier. Next season will show if Jake is legit or not. Early returns are often misleading.  

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, alfstonker said:

are you f'n serious with this post?  

3 hours ago, mangosteens said:

You're right. Early returns are often misleading.

A Canucks example. Sedins were drafted in 1999.  If you were to have taken a snapshot of players from that draft after the 04/05 season (5 years after that draft) the Sedins were trailing Martin Havlat and in points and points per game produced, and were at the same level of production as Tim Connolly and Patrick Stefan.  Fast forward to the present day and the Sedins are the leaders for points and games played in that draft.  Zetterberg is close behind them but 5 years after that 1999 draft, he was just starting with the Wings. Sedins and Zetterberg are clearly the three best players from the 1999 draft.  5 years after that draft, that fact was not clear.

Does that mean Virtanen is going be another Sedin?  Probably not, but we don't know.  Still too early to pass a final judgement.

Again, early returns are often misleading. 

Your takeaway point is true, early returns may be misleading, but the Sedin comparison is way out of reach.

Again, the Sedins are a really bad example statistically. Henrik and Daniel potted 29 and 34 points in their FIRST season in the NHL... 36 and 32 in their second... They showed early signs of elite ability while playing sheltered minutes in a secondary scoring unit. 

We have to be realistic in regards to Jake's ceiling unless he pulls a turnaround of epic proportions. Sure, early returns may be misleading but extremely lofty expectations often let you down.

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Your takeaway point is true, early returns may be misleading, but the Sedin comparison is way out of reach.

Again, the Sedins are a really bad example statistically. Henrik and Daniel potted 29 and 34 points in their FIRST season in the NHL... 36 and 32 in their second... They showed early signs of elite ability while playing sheltered minutes in a secondary scoring unit. 

We have to be realistic in regards to Jake's ceiling unless he pulls a turnaround of epic proportions. Sure, early returns may be misleading but extremely lofty expectations often let you down.

Shouldn't we have lofty expectations for a sixth overall pick.  Look at what Calgary got with their two recent sixth overall picks: Monaghan and Tkatchuk.  We got a friggin dud.