The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

IMO if we wanted Virtanen we should have traded down to #10

I wouldn't have been opposed to that, but it assumes either Carolina, Toronto, Winnipeg, or Anaheim would want to trade up to 6.

I Don't see any of them with the want to trade down.

I wouldn't have been opposed to that, but it assumes either Carolina, Toronto, Winnipeg, or Anaheim would want to trade up to 6.

I Don't see any of them with the want to trade down.

I doubt trading down would have gotten us much. Teams likely wouldn't offer up high picks or good prospects to move up 4 spots past number 6.

Virtanen was taken at the right spot. Any one of Ritchie, Nylander, Ehlers, or Fleury could have gone there and it wouldn't have been a bad selection. It's all arbitrary after all. These players really aren't separated by a whole lot at this point.

Edited by DeNiro

I hope with new management that the Canucks treat the local boy well, Vancouver has a history of not treating them well and the last long term local they had was cam Neely and remember what happened to him.

I believe this guy will be a stud. He is a finisher pure and simple with the toughness of a garbage truck. He addresses two huge gaps on this roster, put all of the surgery nonsense aside and lets judge the on ice product once he hits the NHL level.

I was in the Nylander/Ehlers camp before the draft but now I'm glad Benning made the choice he did. For advanced stats lovers like myself, Virtanen is a great example of why calculating the quality of teammates and competition based on ice time is a horrible idea, especially when a very gifted player is put on an awful team.

It's safe to say that Jake wasn't with the best of linemates, but one would expect that QoT stats would reflect that. Sadly not so. Because the Hitmen were so lacking in quality players, their coach was forced to play at least one, often two, awful players on the second line. And while Jake could have been devastating on the first line, his coach realized that he could make his line productive regardless of who he put him with. So Jake got saddled with Fazleev and a rotating right wing of Mahon and Lang.

By looking at the data, you would be seduced into thinking Jake was, as scouts claimed, not so great at using his linemates. After all, he wasn't playing with 4th liners but 2nd liners. Unfortunately, because guys like Fazleev were playing almost as many minutes at Virtanen, the resulting QoT for Jake was massively increased. In reality, Fazleev was terrible. He had five goals and 20 assists, the majority of which were from making routine passes to Jake in the neutral zone. He was the worst player for the Hitmen in terms of GF%. It's pretty clear he was both a poor defensive player and an awful finisher. It's no wonder Virtanen piled up goals on his own. However when put with players who could score goals, Jake was actually very smart about sucking defenders in with his speed before dishing off to the open man. I would say remarkably so given his reputation.

I'm extremely excited to see what Jake can do with quality linemates who are more than warm bodies who fill up roster spots. With a quality centre, he'll rack up assists and put people's minds at ease that his vision is in fact quite good. Of course he's still more likely to look for the goal than the assist but I doubt many will complain too much about that given he's got arguably the best shot in his draft class.

I hope you're right because if his hockey IQ and playmaking abilities are much better than what most scouting reports say it is then we definitely made the right pick.

ugh. Already had a major injury and surgery, and he is not even in the NHL. Only 26 assists and his numbers were inflated by a carreer year by his overage line mate.

Just because he's a local kid. Stupid reason to draft him. So far this management has disappointed.

just because he has had 1 major surgery doesn't mean squat...he is young and he will heal. benning knows what he is doing do you... this isn't nhl 14 video game. canucks already got better then what they where a year ago. i can't stand people being so negative about a player with out even giving him a chance....obviously benning and linden see something you don't! lets be more positive about it! go canucks go.....

I don't know how people can compare him to Iginla or Perry. Those two play a puck possesion type of game.

Virtanen is more of a straight line power forward (see pre concussion Booth and Kreider) that has speed, forchecks well, and hits hard, which isn't all that bad.

Edited by LeanBeef

I keep seeing hockey IQ being thrown around for this kid. He is a goal scorer first and foremost. His first instinct is to finish the play and score the goal. It is and has been a need for the Canucks to get more pure goal scorers. With Shinkaruk last year and Virtanen this year, we have addressed that need with our first round pick.

The 3 other picks that could have been made Nylander, Ritchie, and Ehlers all have their own strengths and may be better playmakers, but only time will tell if any of them can translate their game to the pro level.

My guess is when Virtanen starts lighting the lamp, all the naysayers will change their tune.

if anyone want's to see him in person, looks like the Hitmen make a trip to the coast in February, they Don't visit the Giants, but they DO visit Seattle and Everett, as well as Portland, kamloops and kelowna, for those who are willing to drive a bit further. The Everett game would be the closest, and it's on a Friday, so it would be the most feasible for people driving down from the lower mainland or the island.

Edited by avelanch

ugh. Already had a major injury and surgery, and he is not even in the NHL. Only 26 assists and his numbers were inflated by a carreer year by his overage line mate.

Just because he's a local kid. Stupid reason to draft him. So far this management has disappointed.

You think that the people who get payed ridiculous amounts of money to decide on draft picks would pick him if the injury was a big deal? I don't get the logic with you naysayers. You honestly think you know more than the professional scouts who get payed to watch the players? From what, a couple of videos on youtube of highlights? Brutal :picard:

Edited by Kesheniel

I agree that in time, Jake will develop a greater sense of the game around him. If management feels it is an area of concern, then they will provide him with every opportunity to improve - video, mentorship, an increased emphasis on creativity, brain stimulating activities..

Kassian has always been a very gifted playmaker, while Virtanen is a noted shoot-first winger. Both will need to continue to develop their all around hockey sense, but they could become fantastic line mates one day.

Virtanen McDavid Kassian

Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen

Cassels McCann Gaunce

Just need to find that young, high level #1 centre prospect and maybe a true #1 D.

That shouldn't be a problem, those types grow on trees, right?

fixed for ya.... there you go

It would of been cool though If Benning knew already if Tallon was going to say no. Than we could of maybe done something like this. If value is good?

Trade 6 for 7 and a 2nd or 3rd while having the team sign a contract saying they wont draft V,
Than continue down. 7 for 8th+2/3 etc and go down to 10 or so. Than scoop up all the extra 2nds/3rds for the draft and cash in.

I agree that in time, Jake will develop a greater sense of the game around him. If management feels it is an area of concern, then they will provide him with every opportunity to improve - video, mentorship, an increased emphasis on creativity, brain stimulating activities..

Kassian has always been a very gifted playmaker, while Virtanen is a noted shoot-first winger. Both will need to continue to develop their all around hockey sense, but they could become fantastic line mates one day.

Virtanen True #1 C Kassian --------> Ryan Johansen would look amazing here. Dare to dream.

Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen

Cassels McCann Gaunce

Just need to find that young, high level #1 centre prospect and maybe a true #1 D.

That shouldn't be a problem, those types grow on trees, right?

I wanted Reinhart very badly for this team, but Ryan would be just as amazing :shock: . It would complete this team. Of course we'd have to give up a few prospects, but we truly need that #1 up the middle for when Henrik is demoted. I would trade Shinkaruk, Tanev, and Gaunce. A future #1 line of Virtanen - Johansen - Kassian would terrorize the league.

Edited by Tangerines

It would take a lot more than Shinkaruk, Tanev, and Gaunce to get Johansen. Plus I think Columbus wants to be good now, cause they really can be good now, so doubt they'd trade someone already making a large NHL impact, for a bunch of prospects.