The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What it takes to be a FAN.

Hank Moody

What is the definition of a FAN? A fan is somebody who cheers on their team through thick and thin. A fan is somebody who wants the best for their team and puts faith in their management team and their team all around, year in year out.

I am extremely disappointed in our "fans" today. You look around twitter, and everybody is extremely stoked on the prospects they have picked up. Many analysts are claiming that we picked up some great assets in some trades and now have a ton of cap space to maneuver ourselves much easier into future deals and some future Free Agents.

The negativity? It's all stemming from the "fans" of this team.

"Virtanen is a horrible pick"

"We got such a lame return for Kesler"

"Garrison for a 2nd? Seriously?"

We ran Luongo out of this town. We ran Vigneault out of this town. We almost ran Bieksa out of this town right before he hit his peak, and now before the guy even suits up ONE GAME for the Vancouver Canucks we are trying to run Jake Virtanen out of town.

Look at the hypocrisy here. We're all bitching and complaining that Ryan Kesler wanted out. We all complain that Kesler wasn't loyal and wasn't willing to go down with this ship.

Then we wanted to draft Dal Colle, somebody who admitted he hated the Canucks.

Then we draft a kid who has GOAL SCORING ability, has SIZE, has SPEED and is DYING for a chance to play for the Canucks and we're unhappy?

What did we miss last year ? Goal scoring, speed, size, and players who were willing to go down with this ship. Virtanen brings that all.

A guy who is going to be loyal to this franchise and won't ever pull a Kesler fiasco on us is exactly what the doctor ordered and i'm extremely happy with this pick. Even moreso, i'm extremely happy another guy who is extremely excited to be a Canuck in Hunter Shinkaruk is still a Canuck.

We wanted size, we wanted speed, and we wanted skill.

Virtanen was ranked 2nd in speed and 1st in physicality out of all NA prospects

What more could you want?

Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk - Cassels - Sbisa - Bonino - Kassian - Jensen - Gaunce. This is the deepest prospect pool we've had in a long, long time and it's a blend of speed, size, and skill.

Virtanen adds a goalscoring ability none of our other prospects provided. We have enough playmakers, we needed the pure goal scorer

Now, as Canuck fans its our job to back our guy. Let's support our guys and let's ensure they are put in a supportive environment where they can thrive. This kid wants to be a Canuck, let's make him welcome as a Canuck. Let's let the kid become what many project he can be.

Let's let our acquisitions, Bonino, Sbisa, and Dorsett show us what they got before we write them off. Let's let them prove themselves before we throw titles or slander them before they even suit up for us. Let's BACK our team up.

Negativity as a fan base will get this team no where. Nowhere. Let's back our damn team up, let's get some positivity going in here and let's get excited for what is shaping up to be a great young group.

And remember, the puck doesn't drop until September. Let Benning finish his plan before we judge him as a GM

It's absolutely embaressing to read how many people have turned their back on Benning over one day. Let the results pan out before we judge anybody.

And for everyone else, like me, who is extremely excited we have a prospect that is going to live and breathe this team and is going to be a fan favorite for years to come, i'll leave this here:

WELCOME TO THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS, JAKE VIRTANEN!

9638435.jpg?size=620x400s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpbmydIO1aY

I liked all of Bennings trades. I like Virtanen but not the fact that he's out for 6 months and we took him 6th overall.

This is what I don't understand.

Do we expect our 6th overall pick to be in the NHL lineup in 6 months time?

If we picked Ehlers or Nylander, would we expect them to play for the Canucks in 6 months time?

No. So what's the problem here? Virtanen wouldn't be a Canuck in 6 months time.

We're not drafting for this year. We're drafting for the future, years, maybe a decade ahead.

This is what I don't understand.

Do we expect our 6th overall pick to be in the NHL lineup in 6 months time?

If we picked Ehlers or Nylander, would we expect them to play for the Canucks in 6 months time?

No. So what's the problem here? Virtanen wouldn't be a Canuck in 6 months time.

We're not drafting for this year. We're drafting for the future, years, maybe a decade ahead.

Tbh I DID NOT want Ehlers or Nylander. Would have been awesome to trade up but unfortunately we couldn't. #Ritchie

To be a canucks fan or a CDC canucks fan?

To be a CDC canucks fan you HAVE to love trades and hate draft picks.

Or Hate trades and love draft picks.

To be a CDC Canucks fan you have to be about as stable as a person with parkinsons in a bouncy castle sitting in a vibrating chair.

Op,

I understand what your point is in the thread, but first off "WE" all don't hate JB's trades today. So I don't think its as bad as people think our fans are in terms of supporting positive developments with our team.

But you are right "WE" should welcome our new members with open arms. Sometimes it just seems like SOME negative members overshadow the silent majority.

bah humbug

I don't like anything the Canucks have done today.

The Kesler trade, well i think Bonino will be seriously underwhelming, but really I wanted a prospect, something to add to our prospect pool that looked like a building block for the future. Didn't have to be a grade A prospect....but something.

The Garrison trade I just don't understand at all. No way a 2nd round pick was good value.

Trading a 3rd round pick for a 4th liner? WHY?

Virtanen, good kid. I Like him a lot. I was hoping we'd get him with the 10th pick we didn't get from Anaheim. He'd of certainly been there at 10th if we didn't pick him at 6th. No way he'll end up being the best player available.

All in all I think we've seen a bunch of really poor asset management so far.

Can only hope now that they actually put the extra cap space to good use, but I haven't seen anything to make me optimistic about our new management.

You don't have to accept everything the team does as "DA BESS EVARR!!" The way you put it we have to suck their pipe while tickling their balls otherwise we aren't fans.

Exactly. It's fine to dislike something everyone once and a while, as long as you don't hate on everything that they do. I loved everything that Benning has done so far except for the #6 pick.

What is the definition of a FAN? A fan is somebody who cheers on their team through thick and thin. A fan is somebody who wants the best for their team and puts faith in their management team and their team all around, year in year out.

I am extremely disappointed in our "fans" today. You look around twitter, and everybody is extremely stoked on the prospects they have picked up. Many analysts are claiming that we picked up some great assets in some trades and now have a ton of cap space to maneuver ourselves much easier into future deals and some future Free Agents.

The negativity? It's all stemming from the "fans" of this team.

"Virtanen is a horrible pick"

"We got such a lame return for Kesler"

"Garrison for a 2nd? Seriously?"

We ran Luongo out of this town. We ran Vigneault out of this town. We almost ran Bieksa out of this town right before he hit his peak, and now before the guy even suits up ONE GAME for the Vancouver Canucks we are trying to run Jake Virtanen out of town.

Look at the hypocrisy here. We're all bitching and complaining that Ryan Kesler wanted out. We all complain that Kesler wasn't loyal and wasn't willing to go down with this ship.

Then we wanted to draft Dal Colle, somebody who admitted he hated the Canucks.

Then we draft a kid who has GOAL SCORING ability, has SIZE, has SPEED and is DYING for a chance to play for the Canucks and we're unhappy?

What did we miss last year ? Goal scoring, speed, size, and players who were willing to go down with this ship. Virtanen brings that all.

A guy who is going to be loyal to this franchise and won't ever pull a Kesler fiasco on us is exactly what the doctor ordered and i'm extremely happy with this pick. Even moreso, i'm extremely happy another guy who is extremely excited to be a Canuck in Hunter Shinkaruk is still a Canuck.

We wanted size, we wanted speed, and we wanted skill.

Virtanen was ranked 2nd in speed and 1st in physicality out of all NA prospects

What more could you want?

Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk - Cassels - Sbisa - Bonino - Kassian - Jensen - Gaunce. This is the deepest prospect pool we've had in a long, long time and it's a blend of speed, size, and skill.

Virtanen adds a goalscoring ability none of our other prospects provided. We have enough playmakers, we needed the pure goal scorer

Now, as Canuck fans its our job to back our guy. Let's support our guys and let's ensure they are put in a supportive environment where they can thrive. This kid wants to be a Canuck, let's make him welcome as a Canuck. Let's let the kid become what many project he can be.

Let's let our acquisitions, Bonino, Sbisa, and Dorsett show us what they got before we write them off. Let's let them prove themselves before we throw titles or slander them before they even suit up for us. Let's BACK our team up.

Negativity as a fan base will get this team no where. Nowhere. Let's back our damn team up, let's get some positivity going in here and let's get excited for what is shaping up to be a great young group.

And remember, the puck doesn't drop until September. Let Benning finish his plan before we judge him as a GM

It's absolutely embaressing to read how many people have turned their back on Benning over one day. Let the results pan out before we judge anybody.

And for everyone else, like me, who is extremely excited we have a prospect that is going to live and breathe this team and is going to be a fan favorite for years to come, i'll leave this here:

WELCOME TO THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS, JAKE VIRTANEN!

9638435.jpg?size=620x400s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpbmydIO1aY

How could anyone watch that youtube clip and say with a straight face he not a good pick? He one hell of a backhand.

The CDC chat board misrepresents the true feelings of the fan base, that's all. It represents the vocal 5% of fans who want to publically express an opinion. Unfortunately about a quarter of those folks are simply interested in being controversial. So the people who are saying Virtanen is no good, bad pick etc etc represent about 1 % of the fan base. 99% don't agree with this.

This is a reality of having a public chat forum on the internet where people don't have to use their real names.

For the record the vast majority of fans support the new GM, President and coach and are looking forward to benefitting from their collective wisdom and experience and passion.

To the 1% who are only interested in pathetically trying to elevate their own perception of their status in life by posting controversial nonsense here - F OFF!

How could anyone watch that youtube clip and say with a straight face he not a good pick? He one hell of a backhand.

What our prospect pool is desperately lacking is a hi-end skill guy. Someone who can take over from Henrik when he's done & run the PP. Be the go to guy that creates opportunities & makes plays happen. With our highest pick since the Sedins we had an opportunity to draft Henriks replacement. Virtanen is a very nice prospect, but he's not that guy.

The only hi-end skill we have in our prospect pool is Hunter Shinkaruk & he just spent a week listening to how Benning was trying to trade him.

Your definition of fan lacks an objective perspective and impartial view. Fan means you simply like something; it is chronologically insignificant.

Edit: Also many people are fans because they like the certain group of people the franchise represents...not the franchise itself. It is like saying you like coke just because its coke even though pepsi tastes better.

Don't forget the McCann thing. The guy is disappointed he slips to 24th, a pick that the Canucks didn't even own this morning and people take it as he hates Vancouver because he says he wasn't expecting to be a Canuck.

Don't forget the McCann thing. The guy is disappointed he slips to 24th, a pick that the Canucks didn't even own this morning and people take it as he hates Vancouver because he says he wasn't expecting to be a Canuck.

And that was proven to be a gross overreaction by Canuck fans too.

All I'm saying is give these guys a chance, let them atleast finish their offseason moves and let them complete a couple seasons before we get out our pitchforks.

Archived