The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It was no fluke JB picked him -- he knows what he's got in McCann and he's not trading him.

Sorry to break it to all the Botchford fanboys.

Sorry to break it to you but Botch has always been high on McCann, he has always said that his skill set is what the Canuck's need going forward.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

The point is, Botchford is the one floating out this "trade McCann" nonsense.  Perhaps by saying both it's his Gallagher-like way of digging at the organization.

He's a newsman. He's gotta speculate, and, to generate them dollars, appeal to the widest readership.

I don't blame the guy. Besides, it's more likely McCann's traded if Dubois's drafted by us. 

I hate Gallagher though. Dude looks like the Cryptkeeper.

McCann has already been set up to be a leader. I believe he gets sent to Utica, because his contract says so, and then you build the core from the minor leagues to the bigs. I want to see McCann, Virtanen, Demko, Stecher, Subban and Cassels all start pushing for jobs, because those are the guys that have to be on standby in the AHL. It looks like a good team in Utica next season if management plays their cards right.

People think that we made a mistake by wasting a year of their elc. I'm of that opinion myself, but there's the other side of the coin that says the player will be less likely to reach milestones and stats that make contracts go up. If you put the prospect through a mediocre season in the NHL and then put him in the AHL, then his stats aren't likely to scream give me a huge contract.

I'd really love for all of these young guys to prove me wrong, but McCann is the perfect example as to why we shouldn't be enamored with pre-season performance when selecting a team. It's time to start using our depth and growing it frrom within.

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

McCann has already been set up to be a leader. I believe he gets sent to Utica, because his contract says so, and then you build the core from the minor leagues to the bigs. I want to see McCann, Virtanen, Demko, Stecher, Subban and Cassels all start pushing for jobs, because those are the guys that have to be on standby in the AHL. It looks like a good team in Utica next season if management plays their cards right.

People think that we made a mistake by wasting a year of their elc. I'm of that opinion myself, but there's the other side of the coin that says the player will be less likely to reach milestones and stats that make contracts go up. If you put the prospect through a mediocre season in the NHL and then put him in the AHL, then his stats aren't likely to scream give me a huge contract.

I'd really love for all of these young guys to prove me wrong, but McCann is the perfect example as to why we shouldn't be enamored with pre-season performance when selecting a team. It's time to start using our depth and growing it frrom within.

Good point. If he plays in the AHL next year, I doubt he comes in the year after with a 60 point season in the NHL. Probably signs a bridge contact of 2 years, 1.5 per. Now if he didn't burn his ELC and put up 50-60 points in his third year we would probably be worse off contract wise (or at least not much better off).

McCann is already good enough to play in the NHL but needs to go down to the AHL to build confidence and get stronger. 

Burning a year off an ELC is a problem when you have an unknown commodity like Frankie Corrado. He would still be a Canuck if he didn't play that one extra game. While Frankie's numbers aren't anything special on the surface, he was 18th in the NHL in Corsi for defenseman (5 on 5) and is slotted into the number 4 spot next year. Then again, we could have simply kept him around instead of signing Yannik Weber. 

On 5/16/2016 at 10:48 AM, Me_ said:

Watch McCann beef up during the summer and blow everyone away at center a la Hutton.

With the right training plan in place, he should be able to put on some muscle mass over a long hard off season of training. I hope the Canucks bring Malhotra in as a special guest faceoff coach late in the summer and for training camp. Help the guys out with their face off techniques.

If we get Dubois, he has more of the size to be a C, would that change the organizations mind about maybe wanting to convert McCann to full time permanent winger? In a few years time...

McCann Dubois Boeser

Baer Horvat Virtanen

On 15/01/2016 at 11:07 PM, Stormriders said:

I really feel sorry for this guy, . . . well sort of, because he is afterall a 19 year old playing in and being paid as an NHL player.  It's just that he could do so much more.  I am ok with creating a plan and managing his games if he isn't physically able to deal with it all, and I will take management's word on this.  But when he is playing, can he play with players that compliment his style and give him a chance to be successful?

Playing on the fourth line with guys that aren't highly skilled, doesn't give him a fair chance to succeed and build confidence.  He often doesn't get the puck enough to really do something with it, because with a player like him it is all about puck possession.  I get it that Vey is Willy's boy, and frankly he is playing better this time around, but he is also getting the better opportunities.  Let's give McCann some better opportunities.

I would even rather see him on the wing and playing with skilled players because that is where he will shine.  Not sure the 'plan' Willy has for McCann is helping him develop into the player we want and need.  I know, patience, and I understand he has a bigger agenda that just McCann, but maybe a little more balance in giving opportunities would be nice.

Canner is getting the same treatment as Bo, start from the bottom and earn your way up. Learn responsibility and the rest will follow. I think WD is playing this great.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

With the right training plan in place, he should be able to put on some muscle mass over a long hard off season of training. I hope the Canucks bring Malhotra in as a special guest faceoff coach late in the summer and for training camp. Help the guys out with their face off techniques.

If we get Dubois, he has more of the size to be a C, would that change the organizations mind about maybe wanting to convert McCann to full time permanent winger? In a few years time...

McCann Dubois Boeser

Baer Horvat Virtanen

I have always thought Canner would look good developing as a wing instead of center. That being said, if he draft Doob, which seems likely, it will be up to the players where the play. Who ever develops into the better center will get the glory and will play up the middle. 

7 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The terms I like to use are 'organizational monentum' and 'velocity of the system.'

Like a boiler or pressure cooker, the Canucks need to build up enough push from below to make the rest of the roster bubble over. That's how we will generate power. That's how we will create a vacuum effect that can carry over prospect grouping to prospect grouping. It takes awhile to build up but, if managed properly, it can go on indefinitely. 

That is the main reason I would advocate Jake and/or Jared going down to Utica, to build that upward pressure. 

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

It's time to start using our depth and growing it frrom within.

Unfortunately (previously) / fortunately (next year), this is the first year we've really had the depth to do so.

30 minutes ago, theminister said:

The terms I like to use are 'organizational monentum' and 'velocity of the system.'

Like a boiler or pressure cooker, the Canucks need to build up enough push from below to make the rest of the roster bubble over. That's how we will generate power. That's how we will create a vacuum effect that can carry over prospect grouping to prospect grouping. It takes awhile to build up but, if managed properly, it can go on indefinitely. 

That is the main reason I would advocate Jake and/or Jared going down to Utica, to build that upward pressure. 

Precisely this ^^^ So far it's been a relative trickle from below. Next year we should see it start to gush a bit more and hopefully over the next 2-3 years it becomes a flood.

I am so adamant that McCann shouldn't be sent to Utica next year.  I have always been a WD supporter but if he continues to deploy icetime like the last 2 years I feel he should be replaced if this team is out of the playoffs by the all-star break.  You can't give McCann 10min a game playing with Dorsett and expect him to improve.  And Vrbata was a ghost last year so he was another waste of a linemate.

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

xxxxxx  McCann xxxxxx

xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx

Or move him to RW or pair him with Sutter

Sedin Sedin xxxxx

xxxxxx  Sutter McCann

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

I fully expect McCann to prove everyone wrong again this year.

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am so adamant that McCann shouldn't be sent to Utica next year.  I have always been a WD supporter but if he continues to deploy icetime like the last 2 years I feel he should be replaced if this team is out of the playoffs by the all-star break.  You can't give McCann 10min a game playing with Dorsett and expect him to improve.  And Vrbata was a ghost last year so he was another waste of a linemate.

Sedin Sedin Sutter

xxxxxx  McCann xxxxxx

xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx

Or move him to RW or pair him with Sutter

Sedin Sedin xxxxx

xxxxxx  Sutter McCann

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

I fully expect McCann to prove everyone wrong again this year.

Rodin Sutter McCann? I'd like to see if that has any potential. 

Granlund Dorsett Gaunce as a 4th? 

Not everyone.

I think McCann has his own plan and people who want him sent to Utica will have to despair.

All centers on this team are already looking over their shoulders and next season Jared will start to blow by them.

Sure, 'Anky and Sutts and Bo are going to keep their jobs, but not forever.

Any injuries at center, or another season or two, and JM will be top 1-2 C.

2017-2018 season, he might have Boeser and Tkachuk on his wings...

37 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Not everyone.

I think McCann has his own plan and people who want him sent to Utica will have to despair.

All centers on this team are already looking over their shoulders and next season Jared will start to blow by them.

Sure, 'Anky and Sutts and Bo are going to keep their jobs, but not forever.

Any injuries at center, or another season or two, and JM will be top 1-2 C.

2017-2018 season, he might have Boeser and Tkachuk on his wings...

Yeah I'd go along with that ..... in a couple of years time McCann maybe the best C on the roster. But next season he should still be in Utica unless of course a miracle takes place and he is helped with divine intervention :lol:

It's a great time of year to speculate and we all have our opinions.

I see something in JM that I do not see from any other Canuck or prospect.

And that something is superb skill propelled by undeniable will power.

When he first started for the Canucks, he would blast out in front and look around and nobody was up with him.

So he started to scale it back, to play the team game, and lowered himself to the common denominator.

Once he has wingers who can handle the puck at full speed, make and take passes at full speed, and "really shoot the puck" (JB), Canner will blossom as our 1C.

That probably will only be seen at times next year but that doesn't mean he should be playing in the minors.

Say the Sedins are the #1 line next year, 1a the year after that, 1b, then 2nd line, or lower towards their retirement.

16/17:  Dank Hank Sutter and a variety of wingers.

17/18:  Dank Hank same winger all year of those that auditioned in 16/17.

18/19:  Same, or whatever as they move to senior status.

McCann then may play wing and center in 16/17 but will definitely be deserving of a spot on the big club.

17/18:  Canner centering high talent newer players like Boeser as they get their feet wet.

18/19:  Canner centering second line and showing C1 capability between two of our top new wingers.

19/20:  Ensconced as our first line center (reminding people of a cross between Sakic and Yzerman.

20/21:  Stanley Cup.

If Bo keeps getting better, he may bump Sutter to the wing or the 3C; if not, Bo gets 3C.

If Canner's face-offs aren't yet up to snuff, Sutter may find himself on the dot for face-offs, but playing on Jared's wing.

If we draft Dubois, and he can continue to improve at center, he may challenge JM in 3 or more years for the 1 or 2 C.

All others, like Guance and Granlund, are not good enough to stand in McCann's way.

Archived