The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

On 5/11/2016 at 11:58 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm just assuming the best case scenario. I think his faceoffs will get better as he has a good stick and just needs to work on pure strength, but long term I see him as a winger. He is already somewhat effective because of his shot, speed and playmaking ability. If he spends 3 years focusing on strength, he should be fine. 

His weaknesses can all be fixed given the proper time to develop. He will gain some weight and strength over the next few years, he can work on his faceoffs a lot over the summer and he can improve his skating as well. I saw him once in person, he's not that small he just needs a couple of years to mature physically. He has the raw talent and skill to become a #1 center, imo. It would be a mistake to give up on him as a C because he has the IQ and vision to play in the middle.

10 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Ryan Kesler was 40% on the draw in his first nhl season...Last season he was 58.5%.

Let's cut the kid some slack

Hard work and improvement is what happens when you "develop" prospects. Not all prospects come into the NHL scoring 60 like Larkin.

Jared is the best offensive C prospect the Canucks have.  In hindsight, we can see what happens when a young player is rushed into the NHL; perhaps now many fans will be more patient with the young talent.

Even though he struggled with the physical side of the game, he most certainly showed his offensive talent with the puck.  He also proved that he could take a hit and more importantly; dodge a hit.  Great hockey sense and skill for sure.

I see that his name comes up in so many proposed trades around here and it makes me cringe.  Trading him now, would not only be giving up on another prospect, but would also be moving him when his value is low.  In a couple of years, this kid is going to be a very good offensive player and his C skills will be far better. 

Jared has already proven that he is an extremely determined guy who will do whatever it takes to reach his top level of play.  I sure hope the Canucks management give him time to develop his huge potential.

40 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Jared is the best offensive C prospect the Canucks have.  In hindsight, we can see what happens when a young player is rushed into the NHL; perhaps now many fans will be more patient with the young talent.

Even though he struggled with the physical side of the game, he most certainly showed his offensive talent with the puck.  He also proved that he could take a hit and more importantly; dodge a hit.  Great hockey sense and skill for sure.

I see that his name comes up in so many proposed trades around here and it makes me cringe.  Trading him now, would not only be giving up on another prospect, but would also be moving him when his value is low.  In a couple of years, this kid is going to be a very good offensive player and his C skills will be far better. 

Jared has already proven that he is an extremely determined guy who will do whatever it takes to reach his top level of play.  I sure hope the Canucks management give him time to develop his huge potential.

He also played with grit. I don't recall an instance where he backed down or didn't support a teammate.

Manny Malhotra signs 1yr league minimum deal. Plays in 9 or so games to reach the 1000 milestone, retires and becomes a faceoff and pk coach. If McCann cant learn to win draws from Manny then he will have to convert to a winger if he struggles mightily, atleast have him as a winger for a couple years kinda like MOntreal did with galchenyuk.

Would love to see Manny reach the 1000 game mark after his horrible eye injury and would be awesome to see him in our organization....what a class act and a guy who will live here and be an impact in the community for years going forward. A great person to have involved with the team and the new young guys that start to join our team over the years.

As for Canner, it will be interest to see how his off season goes, and what he tips the scales at in training camp. If he can gain 10-15lbs of muscle that could greatly help his strength on the puck. Adding this type of weight should be do able with a long off season of hard training.

I do NOT want to see McCann traded, these proposals are insane when he is involved, the guy has a very high skill level and you can't teach that!

22 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I see that his name comes up in soI many proposed trades around here and it makes me cringe.  Trading him now, would not only be giving up on another prospect, but would also be moving him when his value is low.  In a couple of years, this kid is going to be a very good offensive player and his C skills will be far better. 

These people are idiots who probably don't even watch the games so have no idea of McCann's potential.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I'd need to see one hell of a player coming back to be OK with moving JM. Kid's going to be a gamer in a few years with some added experience and muscles.

What kind of player are we talking here? 

6 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

What kind of player are we talking here? 

Say we packaged him for a D prospect I'd want something like a Hanifin or Werenski coming back. 

If we're going to move him, I want a major piece. 

I doubt even as a package he'd fetch anything close to that though. So thankfully that should mean he's staying put. 

On 1/1/2016 at 8:05 PM, Alflives said:

Maybe he'd gain more muscle the other way?:)

i don't think the NHL tests, do they?  Did Lucic get that grotesque looking naturally?  Seriously, he could be ringing church bells and calling for Esmirelda.

Well, as someone who knows somebody drafted by the NFL this past year, he admits that he and everybody else does PED, but that they aren't really detectable in samples, so nobody gets caught.

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Well, as someone who knows somebody drafted by the NFL this past year, he admits that he and everybody else does PED, but that they aren't really detectable in samples, so nobody gets caught.

Didn't a whole cheating fiasco just come out about the Russian's in Sochi?  It was something incredible; the complexity included the KBG!  For us to think hockey players are not pushing the limits is naive.  A good summer of McCann "training"B) the Russian way, would help him muscle up for sure.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't a whole cheating fiasco just come out about the Russian's in Sochi?  It was something incredible; the complexity included the KBG!  For us to think hockey players are not pushing the limits is naive.  A good summer of McCann "training"B) the Russian way, would help him muscle up for sure.

C'mon Alfy... spew that garbage elsewhere

Just now, meh_wassup said:

C'mon Alfy... spew that garbage elsewhere

It's not garbage.  Read the New York Times article from last week.  It's all over ESPN too.  There was a vast conspiracy of cheating promoted by the Russian government.  Now they face an Olympic ban in Rio 2016.  http://news.sky.com/story/1584300/russia-faces-olympic-ban-over-drugs-cheating

Just now, Alflives said:

It's not garbage.  Read the New York Times article from last week.  It's all over ESPN too.  There was a vast conspiracy of cheating promoted by the Russian government.  Now they face an Olympic ban in Rio 2016.  http://news.sky.com/story/1584300/russia-faces-olympic-ban-over-drugs-cheating

I meant about McCann and PEDs.

I don't even want to begin to discuss the politics behind all that stuff and the Olympic ban.

1 minute ago, meh_wassup said:

I meant about McCann and PEDs.

I don't even want to begin to discuss the politics behind all that stuff and the Olympic ban.

I was being sarcastic about McCann, hence the emoji.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I'd need to see one hell of a player coming back to be OK with moving JM. Kid's going to be a gamer in a few years with some added experience and muscles.

It was no fluke JB picked him -- he knows what he's got in McCann and he's not trading him.

Sorry to break it to all the Botchford fanboys.

Archived