The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

What should i expect from this kid? When can he play in the A, will he play in the A? What should we see at the end of next year? What type of player will he be? Whats his ceiling ? compareables?

What should i expect from this kid? When can he play in the A, will he play in the A? What should we see at the end of next year? What type of player will he be? Whats his ceiling ? compareables?

I think you can expect him to have a season like horvat did this year. He can go a bunch of different ways as a player but seems like a David Krejci (sp) kind of player. Solid in both ends of the rink.

What should i expect from this kid?

Could turn in to a 2nd line defensive center.

When can he play in the A, will he play in the A?

Can play in the AHL in 2 years, as of right now I think it's likely he plays in the AHL for at least 1 year.

What should we see at the end of next year?

He will be an above ppg player next year, If he can figure everything out there's no reason in thinking he couldn't put up around 90 points.

What type of player will he be?

He will be a defensive center, good at face-offs, a very smart playmaker with a good shot.

Whats his ceiling?

Hard to determine a ceiling right now but I think a high-end 2nd line center is fair.

compareables?

He's been compared to Kyle Turris, and Kesler

I actually feel he's being undervalued because he isn't flashy, not necessarily because he lacks consistency. He reminds me an awful lot of Gaunce, albeit smaller and with more speed. He's always in position, not running around trying to make things happen but letting the game come to him. This leads a lot of scouts to reach for reasons about why they aren't noticing them as much as they expect to given their skill. We hear that they're slow, have low compete levels, or lack consistency or intensity and they drop in the draft. While digging into the reasons why Benning chose to select McCann, I've found that this calmness with and without the puck is likely the single most misunderstood quality when assessing draftees. Oddly, MG seemed to use this to inform his picks in 2012 and 2013, which has garnered us a lot of our most highly-touted prospects like Gaunce, Cassels and Horvat.

What a lot of very good two-way prospects realize is that their comrades aren't so great defensively. Thus they take on much of the burden to hang back whether it's their assigned role or they simply feel compelled to keep pucks out of the net as much as put it in their opponents'. Unfortunately, this greatly reduces their offensive numbers and that defensive responsibility (and the high hockey IQ that it implies) doesn't increase their stock on draft day nearly as much as points totals would have. The Canucks keep swooping in to take these kids, then the next year their game develops a little bit more and they gain the confidence to attack more. Suddenly we're hearing that they've "found their offensive game", when their talent was there all along. The issue was learning the fine balancing act of taking on a key role where their talents at both ends of the ice can be used fully. One could argue it's a case of younger players learning the "man's game" early on. And while I have no particular proof of this aside from the eye test, I suspect these guys are learning a way to play the game that allows them to contribute at higher levels faster and more significantly than some very talented junior scorers.

Basically, give these guys some time to work their way up and don't be surprised when they seem to just keep getting better and better each year. They're working through issues in their game that most players don't confront until they hit a brick wall trying to score in the AHL, and which many players fail to overcome at all. These are quality prospects, just on a very different development curve which makes them appear more underwhelming in junior than their combination of hockey IQ, competitiveness, and talent would imply,

Good post +1. I believe its called playing a mature/responsible game. This guy will be the go to guy next year on the top line. I think he's going to have a break out season. I'm going to take a long shot and say he gets 85-90 points.

He's aiming for a spot on the Canucks after another year in juniors so that's good

Should be a top 6 player (Benning thinks he has a top 6 player here). He'll play in the A for atleast a season. He'll be a 2nd line two-way center. His ceiling can be a 2nd line player that can jump into the 1st line if needed for a short time but not a 1st line center for a cup team. I compare him to Ryan Kesler, high tempo, two-way, speedy and a nice shot.

Why am I more excited for Jared than Jake? I absolutely LOVE the Virtanen pick, but..but..idk.

Virtannen was expected. McCann not so much. He was ranked early - mid teens. I think he also plays a better play making game then Virtannen.

But these 2 guys have a few things in common. They both can skate, they both have a dealy shot, (McCann has an insane one timer) and they both compete. Both are quite physical actually, McCann plays a chippy game apparently love it.

If you have McCann Ehlers, Nylander and HoSang play a pick up game, no one will be able to tell whois the best out of the 4.

Its not just that interview when he was drafted and stood up he and his dad looked at each other and it looked like he was pretty disappointed and THEN he had this interview and it was like okay not really what you want to hear.

his mom looked super happy though, and he expected to go much sooner than he did.

I am expecting him to improve big time on his stats last year.

Heard his attitude rubs people the wrong way

Left off TC's summer development camp

Hopefully he makes a name for himself upto November and makes TC :D

that's pretty sad to be honest. Players like this usually gets does not even get the invite in November. He needs to put up a 100 point pace season by November to have a "slight chance" at getting invited again. Consider his chances gone if Bennet and Reinhart are still in the CHL

I think you can expect him to have a season like horvat did this year. He can go a bunch of different ways as a player but seems like a David Krejci (sp) kind of player. Solid in both ends of the rink.

This was also one of his comparables. If he turns out half a good as Krejci is, the Canucks still got on hell of a player at 24.

As an aside, Krejci (and Hank) may be one of the most criminally underrated two-way centers in the league. He doesn't put up gaudy offensive numbers, but he certainly isn't a slouch as a 2C either.

Lets trust Benning on this one. He has a good track record of drafting players based on what he likes. (Character determination)

Although we can say he has an "attitude," if he McCann wasn't any good, or wasn't worth it, or if there was really an issue, Jim Benning wouldn't have drafted him if he wasn't any good. This kid is a steal his stats truly didn't reflect, it, this guy badly wants to win. Plays an intense game. deadly offensive potentials.

Archived