The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

Guest Dasein

Reinhart and Bennet probably get rushed into the nhl. At least I hope they do I'd like more nucks prospects to watch in the world juniors.

Reinhart is ready IMO.

Bennett probably needs a year to get stronger to play against men.

Could turn in to a 2nd line defensive center.

Can play in the AHL in 2 years, as of right now I think it's likely he plays in the AHL for at least 1 year.

He will be an above ppg player next year, If he can figure everything out there's no reason in thinking he couldn't put up around 90 points.

He will be a defensive center, good at face-offs, a very smart playmaker with a good shot.

Hard to determine a ceiling right now but I think a high-end 2nd line center is fair.

He's been compared to Kyle Turris, and Kesler

Wow thanks for this. We are now lovers

NHL Draft: Vancouver Canucks Select C Jared McCann
Added by Robert Pannier on June 30, 2014.
Saved under Commentary, Hockey, NHL, Robert Pannier, Sports
Tags: nhl draft

JARED-MCCANN.gif

With the No. 24 pick in the NHL draft the Vancouver Canucks selected C Jared McCann out of Sault Ste. Marie of the OHL. McCann is a top notch playmaker who creates offense, and makes things happen. He is the perfect kind of player that coaches like to build their first line around.

The 6-0, 180 pound center has a great many skills to like about him. First of all, he is an excellent skater, with great speed. He has very impressive acceleration and great agility. His speed allows him to get into plays and his acceleration helps him to break away from defenders attempting to chase him down.

His offensive skills are exceptional. The six-footer has a very long reach, so he is great at picking an opponent’s pocket and taking the play back the other way. His acceleration allows him to have great breakaway opportunities, and once he does he knows how to put the puck into the net. He has the wrist shot of a true sniper and is deadly from in close. He also has very quick hands that allow him to make quick, precise passes and to thread the needle.

Most scouts like the fact that C Jared McCann is a star in all three zones of the ice, which is a primary reason why the Vancouver Canucks selected him in the first round of the NHL Draft. He is intelligent and makes good plays in the offensive zone that helps his team has scoring chances. He also does not make costly turnovers, and is not afraid to take the shot when he has a great opportunity to score.

On the defensive end he is very smart about how to attack opposing players, and has the aggressiveness to challenge shots and to hold a forward along the boards to battle for the puck. He is a battler in his own end, and teams plays with a vision that teams are not going to get scoring chances because he is out of position.

In the center ice region he is not afraid to go at a player to take the puck, and moves through the zone with grace and speed. He transitions well if the puck is lost, and when his team grabs scoring chances he is right in the play to go on the attack.

McCann is also an extremely disciplined player who is quite coachable. There is not ego with this kid about thinking he knows it all. He wants the chance to improve his game, and there is no doubt with the right coaching he can become one of the better young centers in the game. He plays hard all the time, and has a very strong work ethic.

Overall, C Jared McCann is a player that the Vancouver Canucks has to be very happy about acquiring in the first round of the NHL Draft. He is a top line center, who can also lead the power-play and kill penalties. While not elite, he is going to be the kind of player that this team can build around.

Commentary by Robert Pannier

Read more at http://guardianlv.com/2014/06/nhl-draft-vancouver-canucks-select-c-jared-mccann/#iO5TqLlhzLo1VE3k.99

Don't see how he fits into the grand scheme of things. I see him as a trading asset in a few years if we're a cup contender to add that missing piece to the puzzle

I think he will be a top 6 forward for us if he pans out.

JARED MCCANN: BERGERON 2.0?

Steve Dangle

June 27 2014 10:02AM

article_aa210874-003c-44fb-8508-ac21ddb3

Ok, Bergeron 2.0 is a pretty unfair question to ask, but you can blame Jared McCann for that. His gifted offensive talents combined with the pride he takes in shutting the opposition down could make him a name that comes up in Selke talk in the future.

I was fortunate enough to talk to the projected mid-to-late first-rounder about his game, his development, and learning both ends of the ice. Warning: May also contain totally sweet highlight reel video.

We’re talking on the eve of you being selected in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, but I saw a video from a few years ago of a younger Jared McCann all excited at the idea of being selected in the OHL Draft. I want to see if you still feel the same way about what you said. You said that your two favourite players at the time were Tyler Seguin and David Backes. Is that still the case?

No, well, yeah, I guess so. They’re two of my favourite players but they’re not two of the players who I model my game after anymore.

Who are the guys that you model your game after now?

Patrice Bergeron or Jonathan Toews.

So one day you’re going to win the Selke is what you’re saying.

Ha. Hopefully! It would be nice.

That is something that you talked about back then and a little more recently – your two-way game. How do you think that has developed?

I think it’s going really well and I still obviously have a long way to go but last year Mr. Keefe (Greyhound head coach and former NHL player Sheldon Keefe) put me in a position where I could develop as a two-way centreman. I’m not one of those top five guys who are just worried about scoring goals and stuff anymore because you won’t be able to do that at the next level. I feel like I’ve been improving and going in the right direction.

How has it helped you to be on the Soo Greyhounds in terms of development? Watching some of your highlights, guys like Fritsch, guys like Tolchinsky – you were able to create magic out there.

Yeah I’ve always had good chemistry. My first year I played with Fritsch for a bit and Tolchinsky, but just playing in the Soo was amazing. It’s been awesome and it really helped me with my development. If you look at the players they’ve drafted like Jeff Carter, Jake Muzzin, and those guys, I felt like it was the best place for me to be.

What was your favourite team growing up?

I was an LA fan when I was younger.

See my buddy says that but I don’t believe him. I think he just says that because they’re good. I don’t know, you might just be doing that, too.

No, no. I have photos to prove it.

Who was your favourite player growing up before the Seguin and Backes days?

Probably Jonathan Toews.

What about your favourite King?

Now or back then?

Both.

Right now it’s Jeff Carter and then back then… I don’t know. Good question. Wayne Gretzky, probably.

Wayne Gretzky is not a bad player.

Haha well he’s a Soo Greyhound, so.

One thing that comes with being a first round pick is hopefully you get signed to an NHL contract, you would hope. I don’t know if you know this but NHL players make a lot more money than most people. What do you see yourself buying with your first pro hockey paycheck?

The first thing I’ll do is take my parents out to dinner or something like that.

…That’s it? One dinner?

Haha a couple dinners, probably.

What are some of the things going through your head right now? You’re hours away from being drafted into the National Hockey League.

I guess I’m nervous. I didn’t really sleep that well but it is what it is and hopefully when I hear my name called it’s going to be a great experience with my family. It’ll be a dream come true.

One very common criticism for young guys coming up is their defensive game is too weak and they’re not good enough without the puck. It sounds like you pride yourself on being pretty good with the puck. What has helped you become a better two-way player?

Just the fact of realizing that at the next level it’s not all about scoring points and stuff like that because some of those guys don’t even win Cups, right? It’s about being able to play both ends of the ice and defence is just as important as offence. I want to be that important guy that the coaches go to be a difference.

Was there a moment where you remember shutting a guy down as if you had scored a goal?

Yep. All the guys that are rated ahead of me who are so gifted offensively who can really score goals. I take pride in playing against them and really making it hard on them.

I think he will be a top 6 forward for us if he pans out.

Maybe but I still feel like we need that number 1 d prospect and he might be the guy that we package to get one. We have many potential top 6 forwards in the system but our d is very thin

McCann > Gaunce = Cassels

He's not a piece I would trade until he has another year of Junior at least.

He's got the mental game to be a really good player, takes pride in his D game, and has above average skill.

Not all of our prospects will translate to the NHL at a high level, better to keep some insurance pieces that can be moved if necessary.

See Linden Vey for LA.

Increased his value to a 2nd from a 4th because of good development.

JMC should be in our system for at least 4 years before we even consider trading him in my opinion.

He's a heart and soul player. We need those guys.

McCann > Gaunce = Cassels

He's not a piece I would trade until he has another year of Junior at least.

He's got the mental game to be a really good player, takes pride in his D game, and has above average skill.

Not all of our prospects will translate to the NHL at a high level, better to keep some insurance pieces that can be moved if necessary.

See Linden Vey for LA.

Increased his value to a 2nd from a 4th because of good development.

JMC should be in our system for at least 4 years before we even consider trading him in my opinion.

He's a heart and soul player. We need those guys.

He'd better significantly improve his stats next year for me to agree with you.

He'd better significantly improve his stats next year for me to agree with you.

okay, so what is significant to you then?

What do you think is realistic?

Lazar 17th pick 2013 61 point in his draft year 73 GP

2014 76 points on the best team in the CHL. 58 GP

Horvat 61 points in 67 GP 2013

2014 74 points in 54 games

McCann 62 points in his draft year 64 GP

80 points in 60 games? That would put him on Lazar or Horvat levels for being a 2 way centerman

Q: What are some of the things going through your head right now? You’re hours away from being drafted into the National Hockey League.

A: I guess I’m nervous. I didn’t really sleep that well but it is what it is and hopefully when I hear my name called it’s going to be a great experience with my family. It’ll be a dream come true.

But, I thought he only said this because he hated the Canucks!! :bigblush:

Archived