The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

When I was at that disaster of a game on Saturday vs the Rangers, I was thinking...what if this wasn't a mini slump after a long road trip? What if, and I mean if, this is only the beginning of another tailspin? It won't be nearly as bad as last season's second half, but still. This could be another blessing. The veterans are getting older and slower and the Western Conference contenders, who are younger and faster, are going to be pressing the gas pedal. That pushes the Canucks further down the standings. Which might mean building up for a very strong and deep draft at the trading deadline and keeping, at least, the prospects from the past two drafts.

I actually wouldn't mind if we didn't make the postseason this year, considering how strong the draft class is, this would've been the year (for me, anyways) that I wanted the Canucks to have a bad season. The blessing is, that we get a strong draft pick in return (who knows, what IF we win the lottery?). Continue to bring along the young prospects we've got slowly until they're ready. Sedins are around for another 3 years (if I'm not mistaken). They may not be the same players they were in 2011 or before that, but they can still contribute for a little while longer.

Don't think we'll get McDavid. But there are some other strong, strong players in 2015. It's like the 2003 draft all over again. Corey Perry is a great player. And he went 28th in that 2003 draft class. So, you can imagine what we could get in 2015 with an even higher pick.

I want the Canucks to win Lord Stanley as much as any other fan on this board. But I also want this franchise to be healthy for many many years to come. Benning, I think, and Linden, are the men to do both that, as we move forward.

I actually wouldn't mind if we didn't make the postseason this year, considering how strong the draft class is, this would've been the year (for me, anyways) that I wanted the Canucks to have a bad season. The blessing is, that we get a strong draft pick in return (who knows, what IF we win the lottery?). Continue to bring along the young prospects we've got slowly until they're ready. Sedins are around for another 3 years (if I'm not mistaken). They may not be the same players they were in 2011 or before that, but they can still contribute for a little while longer.

Don't think we'll get McDavid. But there are some other strong, strong players in 2015. It's like the 2003 draft all over again. Corey Perry is a great player. And he went 28th in that 2003 draft class. So, you can imagine what we could get in 2015 with an even higher pick.

I want the Canucks to win Lord Stanley as much as any other fan on this board. But I also want this franchise to be healthy for many many years to come. Benning, I think, and Linden, are the men to do both that, as we move forward.

Here's my thought on the subject of making/not making the playoffs and the draft.

Some people bring up the fact that it's a talented draft class as a reason for not making the playoffs. Get a good pick, select an elite player. Easy. On the other hand, you could argue that because there will be a terrific player no matter where you end up, this is the year to have a good year. It's a win-win. Have a good, winning season and select a stud anywhere in the first round. The biggest thing is that I don't think that we are bad enough to finish with a top-10 selection to get one of the elites. I guess we could *knock-on-wood* take another hit to our top-4 or lose a key forward, but I think other teams will still simply have worse seasons.

Personally, I'd like the Canucks to at least be fighting to the end for a playoff spot. I want to be able to watch the team play for something up until the end, for Desjardins' sake. He has made this team watchable again and I'd like him rewarded with a good first year that he, and the rest of us, can be proud of. That's my "preference". That being said, the draft is a good enough reason to not be distraught over a missed playoff appearance.

I'm more intrigued to see if we can somehow land an early second. If we get a pick between 12-20 in the first round and a selection early in the second, we could come out of the draft in real good shape. It goes without saying that there will be surefire first-round talents that slip into the early 30's this year.

I don't mind people who are a fan of the draft, but I hate those fans of the draft that want their teams to do bad just so they can pick a few spots higher.

It's stupid.

I would care if I'm currently sitting anywhere in the bottom seven or eight of the league. Generally I'd agree, but McEichel is something you don't pass up if you're close enough.

I would care if I'm currently sitting anywhere in the bottom seven or eight of the league. Generally I'd agree, but McEichel is something you don't pass up if you're close enough.

Though I agree with your point on McEichel, in Vancouver's case, I don't think they're going to finish anywhere in the top-10, and especially the top-5.

The only way we will draft McEichel is if we win the draft lottery. Carolina, Edmonton, Phoenix, and Buffalo (though they have been playing much better and deserve a lot of credit), are all teams that should undoubtedly finish behind Vancouver.

This is the reason he said "it is was it is" after being interviewed on draft day. The kid must have been sitting there going what the hell is going on here? If I was him I'd wear #24 in the NHL and go about proving to all those teams that passed him over that they made a big mistake. Same can be said for Shinkaruk. I really hope Benning doesn't trade away any of the prospects we've drafted in the last 2 years.

It blows my mind how so many people still don't understand what McCann meant when he said "it is what it is".

Though this was all the way back in June, all the pluses that post #6 of this thread got made our fanbase look generally dim.

It blows my mind how so many people still don't understand what McCann meant when he said "it is what it is".

Though this was all the way back in June, all the pluses that post #6 of this thread got made our fanbase look generally dim.

To be fair, it didn't sound great live and, with that solemn look on his face, it didn't look good either. I figured he was just a nervous kid on live TV, but I will admit that I sort of did a double take. That being said, with all due respect to McCann, he is not a particularly good interview. Thankfully for us all, he is a great hockey player.

To be fair, it didn't sound great live and, with that solemn look on his face, it didn't look good either. I figured he was just a nervous kid on live TV, but I will admit that I sort of did a double take. That being said, with all due respect to McCann, he is not a particularly good interview. Thankfully for us all, he is a great hockey player.

Fair nuff

Here is a short highlight pack for McCann vs. the Spitfire. 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 fight, and 1 bad penalty call against McCann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkXU6mn-SyA

The quality isn't great and here's the explanation from the help page:

Why does the quality of the video production vary from game to game?

We've tapped into two separate source of audio / video. The first is what we refer to as our "Broadcast Feed" which involves taking a television signal Webcasting it. The second is our "Scout Feed" which is the video the home team records of the game by using one camera usually located in the press box.

PS: I didn't watch the full game so I don't know how any of the individual players played.

If it makes you feel better, my first impulse was to immortalize that for people to remember when he turns out to be awesome. :bigblush:

Here is a short highlight pack for McCann vs. the Spitfire. 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 fight, and 1 bad penalty call against McCann.

PS: I didn't watch the full game so I don't know how any of the individual players played.

You and your videos are amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to make them for us

That last goal is how I always want to see Jared flipping the bird to BS officiating.

At the time of his fight, the Greyhounds had just given up 2 quick goals and were down 3-1. 5 minutes left in the 1st and McCann decides to take matters into his own hands... And what do you know? A gordie howe hattrick.

As Pierre McGuire would say: "That's character personified"

That statement was made and later clarified.

He didn't think he would fall to 24th at the draft. "It is what it is".

I can't believe people in this fan base are still talking about that comment....its been clarified a thousand times..You could substitute it for 'that's life' or whatever..He was happy to be a Canuck, but obviously ticked about not being picked earlier.

Archived