The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

It would have been nice to get Scherbak, but he's a good prospect, probably would have been my 3rd choice after the Russians.

I like his pro upside, hopefully next year he can gain consistency, he's got a great shot, can make plays, great speed, great hands, good two-way, good character, alot to like for sure.

so canucks fans tell me this. You guys expect to get more than a solid 4th line grinder, 24 year old dman at 6'2, someone who scored more points than kesler, and a first round pick for an aging centre with 2 years left on his contract. Secondly, expect to get a 1st overall pick for scraps suggesting that 2 1st round picks in a weak draft and hunter shinkaruk is an overpayment for what is going to be a sure shot star in either ekblad or rein hart. and finally get furious and attack a kid we just drafted when pro scouts and a gm with so much experience in drafting, drafts a VANCOUVER kid who tied second for scored goals, has speed, etc. Why the hell would you come to vancouver... of course it's a great city, and If i were a player i would love the opportunity to play in this city, but you can't rule out the fact that people on the internet in this city will rip you apart even before having played a single game in the pros.

Him and his Dad both both looked unhappy with him going to Vancouver.

Stop pretending you can read minds. Even if you could be 100% confident that they were unhappy, you still don't know what they were unhappy about.

The draft is an incredibly stressful time. You don't hear your name called when it was supposed to be called. You wait and wait and wait and wonder whether you'll have to wait until tomorrow to be drafted.

They could just as easily have been feeling stressed/upset that their son was in an uncomfortable position.

Stop pretending you can read minds. Even if you could be 100% confident that they were unhappy, you still don't know what they were unhappy about.

The draft is an incredibly stressful time. You don't hear your name called when it was supposed to be called. You wait and wait and wait and wonder whether you'll have to wait until tomorrow to be drafted.

They could just as easily have been feeling stressed/upset that their son was in an uncomfortable position.

Exactly. Look at Gaunce back in 2012 and you won't see an overly joyed 18 year old until the nerves have worn off.

That being said, I wonder if Mccann is familiar with Horvat seeing as they are both from the same area and Mccann played on some of the same teams as Horvat before both moved onto major junior.

Exactly. Look at Gaunce back in 2012 and you won't see an overly joyed 18 year old until the nerves have worn off.

That being said, I wonder if Mccann is familiar with Horvat seeing as they are both from the same area and Mccann played on some of the same teams as Horvat before both moved onto major junior.

Look at Shinkaruk. But I understand you lol.

Well peaches must complain about something right?

I don't really see a comparison with him and Kesler, McCann seems to have way better hockey iq and can actually split defenses. Kesler always tries but fails in doing so

Alot easier to split the D in the OHl just so you know.

Speed and a great wrist shot, plus a two way game pretty much makes him exactly like Kesler.

He even said himself he models his game after him.

I don't really see a comparison with him and Kesler, McCann seems to have way better hockey iq and can actually split defenses. Kesler always tries but fails in doing so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6xL6zcA-sI

Yea he fails, splitting 2 norris trophy winners

Unless Horvat becomes a #1 center, either Horvat, McCann, Gaunce or Bonino are being traded or moved to the wing. Way too many potential #2 centers. All of them can play defense pretty well as well.

I say package Horvat or McCann into a deal to get help elsewhere (#1 center, #1 dman).

Bonino is not a two way player. He tends to play against easier competition and rarely gets a defensive zone start.

So...like a Western Conference Bozak?

I know he played preferred or "sheltered" minutes to an extent but he's gonna have to eat some rubber on this team to be successful.

With luck the rest of the draft has us completely stocking the rest of the cupboards in regards to wingers and D.

If we have the same possible success drafting this and next season our team and possible depth moving forward is actually almost scary if our vets hold up.

Still prefer a variety of players as opposed to that many C's we will have to convert to wing myself though.

Unless Horvat becomes a #1 center, either Horvat, McCann, Gaunce or Bonino are being traded or moved to the wing. Way too many potential #2 centers. All of them can play defense pretty well as well.

I say package Horvat or McCann into a deal to get help elsewhere (#1 center, #1 dman).

McCann won't be ready for a few years.

Gaunce has yet to show he'll be an NHLer, and Horvat may need some more time developing in the minors.

No moves need to be made. These picks today are for down the road, not next season.

Of note for McCann is that he had a 12 game pointless streak early in the season. I view this as a positive, as his stats after that were well beyond a ppg.

I think this duo of McCann/Virtanen has a greater chance of both making the Canadian WJ team than Horvat/Shinkaruk in the previous year. Much love for both draft years.

Archived