The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

No I'm not. I specifically said I think Hansen is on the way out with the acquisition of Dorsett.

I have a hard time believing that. Dorsett is more energy/tough guy where Hansen is more speedy checking wing. Also, Horvat and Jensen still need to show up at camp looking like NHL players in order to play on the roster. They are not entitled to a roster position and we will have no problem sending them down to develop more.

Hansen is UFA, yes?

Hansen has already signed his contract extension. His NTC kicks in July 1st.

I personally love Hansen but his NTC is the concern. I can see Higgins not molding well with our new direction more so then Hansen though. Maybe Higgins worth keeping to help the youngsters though.

I really hope they don't overpay for anyone. Just because you have the cash, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

I'd rather see a youth movement and another top 10 pick next year.

You pay a little extra when you're looking to make that final push, not start the process.

Not gonna happen.

They're gonna spend to the cap I guarantee.

A team can stay competitive while bringing along youth. I think it's a common mis-belief that you can't have both.

I suspect Hansen is heading out as well.

We can sign some decent players, here is an example. If you could swing a trade for Meyers as was speculated, you still have $3 million to spare under the cap. A pretty underwhelming 2nd line, but can't really do much worse than last year... and I don't know that any of our other prospects are better options.

You could also try to live with that defence and spend the $5-7 million on another top 6 player

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Milan Michalek ($4.000m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Zack Kassian ($1.250m)
Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Kellan Lain ($0.600m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($2.250m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,043,611; BONUSES: $858,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,956,389

I have a hard time believing that. Dorsett is more energy/tough guy where Hansen is more speedy checking wing. Also, Horvat and Jensen still need to show up at camp looking like NHL players in order to play on the roster. They are not entitled to a roster position and we will have no problem sending them down to develop more.

Too many fourth liners. Someone's gotta go.

Especially if they wanna start bringing up their own fourth line guys and developing them.

I personally love Hansen but his NTC is the concern. I can see Higgins not molding well with our new direction more so then Hansen though. Maybe Higgins worth keeping to help the youngsters though.

In that case trade him before July 1st.

7 mill for Stastny

4.5 mill for Moulson

2 years-1.5 mill for Santorelli

Sedin-Sedin-Moulson

Burrows-Stastny-Kassian

Higgins-Bonino-Santorelli

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Sbisa

Stanton-Tanev

Corrado

Lack

Markstrom

***Remove some players like Santorelli, Hansen and maybe Higgins for youth like Horvat or Jensen

I really hope they don't overpay for anyone. Just because you have the cash, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

I'd rather see a youth movement and another top 10 pick next year.

You pay a little extra when you're looking to make that final push, not start the process.

If Vancouver continues to draft well and develop properly, then in 3-5 years you can go all-in on a free agent or two to make a run.

Sensible. Imagine a plus.

Dear god! Even Hansen has a NTC!

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Personally gunning for Stastny and Hiller would make me happy, short term for both. Hiller to me is a proven goalie and as much as I like Eddie, I don't think he's quite ready to be a full time #1. Granted he started a ridiculous amount of straight games last year and did well, considering our extreme lack of scoring, I don't think having a good solid goalie to split the load would be a bad thing. That being said I know nothing about Markstrom, but from all reports he needs some work.

All in all I think Benning did well today. The Garrison move to me was a bit of a head scratcher. Clearly a move to free up some cap space, and if that's the case and we land a solid top 6 forward or proven goaltender I'm happy with it. As far as the Kesler trade goes, sure, that 10th pick would've been very sweet but realistically, we moved a guy who gave us a choice of two teams (and one of them didn't have room anyways) and Benning got a player in return in Bonino who yes may come up short of Kesler's talent but can still be a solid 2-3 line centre and pop some goals. Sbisa on the other hand looks like a project...but one that I'll enjoy watching this year, as well as the rest of our up and comers.

3 NHL'ers and a 24th rounder ain't too shabby CDC, and considering we would've had to keep an upset player who could've hurt himself once again during the season and seen his trade value drop to zero, I think JB did pretty darn good.

So far so good in my mind. This coming July 1st, and the following season will be at nothing else, an entertaining one.

I'm sure Benning's mock lineup looks different than yours (and aren't you supposed to be watching USA soccer DeNiro?). :)

What I'm really saying is I don't think Benning is near done 'a wheelin' and 'a dealin' yet.

I'm a hoping so.

Has anyone considered Radim Vrbata? If he's willing to do a short term deal he could contribute to scoring (20-30 goals, 40-50pts usually).

A very underrated player, I would assume because of the team he plays for doesn't get a lot of airtime. Love this guys style and play but at 33 he ain't getting any younger. But, 2 year contract? On board with that.

Archived