The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wake Me Up When September Ends: Ryan Kesler Tribute

samirjaver

Excellent video, +1.

Poured his heart out every game here. He wants out he deserved it. Comments he made after he was dealt were somewhat crossing the line but hey, he can speak his mind. Warrior on ice.

Edit:

Watching the video brings back so many memories...the clip of him in tears after the finals loss is powerful, made my heart skip a few beats in all honesty...ah, why do all good things have to come to an end!? So depressing...man, makes you appreciate what Kes did even more. Don't have words to describe what he did here. Unbelievable player, heck of guy. Passion for winning bigger than any other.

Excellent video, +1.

Poured his heart out every game here. He wants out he deserved it. Comments he made after he was dealt were somewhat crossing the line but hey, he can speak his mind. Warrior on ice.

Edit:

Watching the video brings back so many memories...the clip of him in tears after the finals loss is powerful, made my heart skip a few beats in all honesty...ah, why do all good things have to come to an end!? So depressing...man, makes you appreciate what Kes did even more. Don't have words to describe what he did here. Unbelievable player, heck of guy. Passion for winning bigger than any other.

Well said...

to all the nay sayers, you sound like you're whining about sour grapes

Excellent video, +1.

Edit:

Gonna miss Beastmode but it was becoming a distraction. It was time to move on. Let the younger players play.

Good riddance and a classless way to leave. Didn't even acknowledge the organization, teammates or fans for the last decade. It's as if he thinks his success was achieved completely on his own.

He did though.

Thank you to the @VanCanucks organization, the owners, the trainers, my teammates and friends, and of course the fans.............

Nothing but nice things to say about the city and team. Very excited to be joining the Anaheim Ducks and have a quest for the cup.

You can't blame the guy, all he wants to do is win a Cup. He's starting to enter the twilight of his career and probably wants to meaningfully contribute to a Cup win. One of my favourite players that's ever worn a Canucks Jersey. And tbh, he played the last 5 years without much help anchoring the second line, if he had had the right teammates, we probably would have won the Cup back in 2011.

You don't make tributes to players that don't want to be part of your team.

I don't think it was so much that he didn't want to be part of the team, I think he wanted to win a Cup, which probably won't happen here before he retires.

edit: amazing video, a great tribute!

Great player but he had too many flaws that made things difficult for the team.

Selfish playstyle. Whether this was instinctive or his choice is besides the point. He tried to do everything himself too often, and it was way too difficult to find wingers that had chemistry with him.

Injury prone and inconsistent. Beast mode was a 2 season fling and we never saw it again.

His two way play was deteriorating, and I doubt he would ever become a Selke winner on this team again.

Has a lot of talent, but simply not captain or even assistant captain material no matter how much he wanted it. Taking the A from him was the right decision IMO, but he took it too personally.

Of course Kesler did have his upsides. He was fairly cheap for what he was worth and he was certainly a fan favorite.

Kesler lives in the city of ME, at the intersection of Selfish Avenue and Arrogant Street. He was all sunshine and roses while the Canucks were marching through the 2011 playoffs, even though he didn't do a whole lot after the Nashville series. Now that the team has faltered, he bails.

He wants to win now. Who the frick doesn't?

I have a feeling that no good will come of this for Kesler.

Kudos to Jim Benning for cutting out the rotten part before it became a Luongo-like soap opera.

Is it my imagination, but do other GM's have more respect for Benning than they did for Gillis?

You can't blame the guy, all he wants to do is win a Cup. He's starting to enter the twilight of his career and probably wants to meaningfully contribute to a Cup win. One of my favourite players that's ever worn a Canucks Jersey. And tbh, he played the last 5 years without much help anchoring the second line, if he had had the right teammates, we probably would have won the Cup back in 2011.

As opposed to Bieksa and Burrows and the Sedins who dont want to win a Cup?

Archived