The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Status of Rodin and Sweatt

Lui's Knob

Guest Dasein

Man remember when these two were some of the most exciting Canuck prospects we had?

The only thing that made that okay was that we had a Stanley Cup calibre team at the time.. But looking back now, it was a serious deficit since in the cap world, if you don't draft right, you are not going to contend for a long time.

Every contender has replaced role players with great young players and so on.

That's where Gillis and this core went downhill. We needed guys to step up, but we had the likes of Rodin and Sweatt.

Man remember when these two were some of the most exciting Canuck prospects we had?

The only thing that made that okay was that we had a Stanley Cup calibre team at the time.. But looking back now, it was a serious deficit since in the cap world, if you don't draft right, you are not going to contend for a long time.

Every contender has replaced role players with great young players and so on.

That's where Gillis and this core went downhill. We needed guys to step up, but we had the likes of Rodin and Sweatt.

This is so true.

I think their time with the Vancouver Canucks is up. Time to look forward to new challenges.

That was yet another one of the GMMG era experiments. No pun intended as he drafted pretty far away from the top at the time. But guys that didn't pan out none the less.

With Rodin it was a pure small skill pick, but then we inexplicably passed on Tatar.

Sweatt wasn't ever going to amount to much. Can't depend on other teams' castoffs.

What the hell did you know at the time about Rodin and Tatar??

Speaking of Tatar, don't you usually bash players who are European or under six feet and under two-hundred pounds?

Troll.

Actually Tatar was a guy CDC wanted badly after he put up an awesome World Junior Tournament, similar to Marco Dano last season.. Just like fans wanted Perron, Kopitar, Nichushkin, etc.

It's true. I had Tatar all queued up that draft as well.

My spirits were buoyed when Gillis said they had wanted to take Rodin in the 1st round until Schroeder fell into their laps...

Actually Tatar was a guy CDC wanted badly after he put up an awesome World Junior Tournament, similar to Marco Dano last season.. Just like fans wanted Perron, Kopitar, Nichushkin, etc.

I recall a general consensus of contentment with the Bourdon pick at the time in the prospects forum. Can't recall anyone bringing up Kopitar's name at the time. Mixed nuts on Horvat vs Nichushkin. Most people that did pay attention to young players before the draft did want Perron over White though. And yes, there was disappointment that we didn't draft Tatar, but Rodin looked to be a solid pickup. I still think he has the talent to be at worst a 3rd liner if he was interested in developing in the A.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall a general consensus of contentment with the Bourdon pick at the time in the prospects forum. Can't recall anyone bringing up Kopitar's name at the time. Mixed nuts on Horvat vs Nichushkin. Most people that did pay attention to young players before the draft did want Perron over White though. And yes, there was disappointment that we didn't draft Tatar, but Rodin looked to be a solid pickup. I still think he has the talent to be at worst a 3rd liner if he was interested in developing in the A.

I remember a lot of people bringing up Kopitar, but there was huge excitement over Bourdon as well. Here are the fan picks from my memory:

2003 - Jeff Tambellini (replace Naslund)

2004 - Mark Fistric (trade down but no real consensus)

2005 - Anze Kopitar

2006 - Chris Stewart?

2007 - David Perron

2008 - Cody Hodgson

2009 - Jordan Schroeder

2011 - Boone Jenner/David Musil (most were happy with Jensen)

2012 - Brendan Gaunce/Henrik Samuelsson

2013 - Valeri Nichuskin (after the fact), Hunter Shinkaruk at 24 if he dropped

I found Nonis and Burke went off the board a bit more and it paid off with Kesler and Schneider although I remember in 2004 there were no players we really wanted, a lot of talk about trading down. Gillis picked the BPA and more or less selected amongst the players we wanted (other than Rodin over Tatar).

The bolded players were the ones I remember people flipping out about. In 2003 a lot of fans also wanted Anthony Stewart, a few Corey Perry.

Archived