The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

I envision Nilsson being dealt at the deadline (his contract expires this year) and bring up Demko if he is healthy. 

Demko can play some games this year and if he looks ready then he can platoon with Markstrom ( 1 year left on his contract after this year) next year. 

If all pans out then Markstrom can move on or be retained as the back up after next year unless there are better options.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I envision Nilsson being dealt at the deadline (his contract expires this year) and bring up Demko if he is healthy. 

Demko can play some games this year and if he looks ready then he can platoon with Markstrom ( 1 year left on his contract after this year) next year. 

If all pans out then Markstrom can move on or be retained as the back up after next year unless there are better options.  

I agree, this is the year to bring up Demko and let him play a handful of what will be meaningless games so he can adapt to the league.

Nilsson has played well so far this year when he's played so maybe we will actually get something for him like a 4th or 5th round pick

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree, this is the year to bring up Demko and let him play a handful of what will be meaningless games so he can adapt to the league.

Nilsson has played well so far this year when he's played so maybe we will actually get something for him like a 4th or 5th round pick

Agreed or maybe even as a package for something better.

14 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I am still on record as saying we will be a playoff contender this year...so there are no "meamingless games"...also Demko shouldn't play enough games to burn a year of his ELC...we need to protect him from Seattle 2021.

We are currrently 6 points out of a playoff spot...even after all those injuries and a long losing streak...and we still have Sutter and Baer. out of the lineup.

It isn't even xmas yet ...we are 3 wins out of a playoff spot and everyone around here as well as all the Eastern Media are saying how "there is no talk of playoffs in Vancouver anymore"

Seriously....!

I say we have the rest of the west right were we want them ....within reach and not worried about us.

U Bett man is never going to allow us a first overall anyway...so tank for Jack is just silly....

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I am still on record as saying we will be a playoff contender this year...so there are no "meamingless games"...also Demko shouldn't play enough games to burn a year of his ELC...we need to protect him from Seattle 2021.

We are currrently 6 points out of a playoff spot...even after all those injuries and a long losing streak...and we still have Sutter and Baer. out of the lineup.

It isn't even xmas yet ...we are 3 wins out of a playoff spot and everyone around here as well as all the Eastern Media are saying how "there is no talk of playoffs in Vancouver anymore"

Seriously....!

I say we have the rest of the west right were we want them ....within reach and not worried about us.

U Bett man is never going to allow us a first overall anyway...so tank for Jack is just silly....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
double...triple post...not sure why....

26 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Seriously....!

NOT SURE WHY THE TRIPLE POST HAPPENED....?

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Seriously....!

NOT SURE WHY THE TRIPLE POST HAPPENED....?

At this point in the rebuild we shouldn't be overly concerned about wins or losses, but instead worried about compete level and the development of our youngsters. Fighting for playoffs often means not trading vets and playing the vets you have rather then experimenting with younger players.

At the deadline we should be trading some of our veterans such as Sutter, Edler, Del Zotto, Gagner, Nilsson, Baertschi, Tanev and Schaller (Not all, but maybe 3 of these guys). Call up the young guns that are playing well such as Demko, Dahlen, Juolevi, MacEwen, McEneny etc. and let them make some mistakes as they get accustomed to the NHL.

Its a transitional year, but if we make the playoffs then right on, as long as we do it with the play of younger guys and not aging veterans.

As for Demko we are allowed to protect 1 goalie and my bet is Markstrom is traded once Demko is ready for a full time role.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

At this point in the rebuild we shouldn't be overly concerned about wins or losses, but instead worried about compete level and the development of our youngsters. Fighting for playoffs often means not trading vets and playing the vets you have rather then experimenting with younger players.

At the deadline we should be trading some of our veterans such as Sutter, Edler, Del Zotto, Gagner, Nilsson, Baertschi, Tanev and Schaller (Not all, but maybe 3 of these guys). Call up the young guns that are playing well such as Demko, Dahlen, Juolevi, MacEwen, McEneny etc. and let them make some mistakes as they get accustomed to the NHL.

Its a transitional year, but if we make the playoffs then right on, as long as we do it with the play of younger guys and not aging veterans.

As for Demko we are allowed to protect 1 goalie and my bet is Markstrom is traded once Demko is ready for a full time role.

Will we have to protect Depietro too?

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

2020-21 is what Ive heard so I think the max DiPietro could play pro is two years so I dont think he'd be eligible.

Plus we will probably just be flipping them a veteran or two. Such as low salary high cap hit Eriksson who does all the little things right...:bigblush:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

New posts within a short time frame are limited. Please wait 13 seconds before submitting.

Did you get this message as well? Almost caused me to double post until I saw my message already posted.

That red text freaks me out. When I first saw it, I was worried Stealthnuck might suddenly appear and deliver a crisp smack to the back of my head.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree with all that ...except I still think it is a mistake to go with Demko and not have Marky or at least Niellson available...I think either guy would be picked off by Seattle as they are both close to being a #1 guy and still young enough to get a bit more solid.

If we trade one at the TDL then the other gets picked off by Seattle...we better hope Dipietro has grown by leaps and bounds ...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I agree with all that ...except I still think it is a mistake to go with Demko and not have Marky or at least Niellson available...I think either guy would be picked off by Seattle as they are both close to being a #1 guy and still young enough to get a bit more solid.

If we trade one at the TDL then the other gets picked off by Seattle...we better hope Dipietro has grown by leaps and bounds ...

I don't think your really thinking of the timeline. If Nillson is trade this deadline we would run Marky and Demko for most if not all of the next season. By then we will know if Demko is ready.

Also I think Demko will have enough pro experience/games played by the time of the expansion draft meaning he will need to be protected.

Another factor is that Markstrom will be UFA at the time of the expansion draft so we could just resign him once the expansion draft is done and not have to worry about protecting him.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Does this mean Demko is coming up?  Maybe Neilson is getting traded, or sent down?

No RJ was just answering some questions about Demko.

We will eventually see him play in the near future, and RJ was just simply sharing some good insight to what fans can expect to see.

• Upvote 1