The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

I could be mistaken, but I believe the thought is white pads will blend in visually with the white netting. Dark pads or ones with a distinctive border are easier to see and aim around in the split second a shooter has. When an inch one way or the other is the difference between a goal and an easy save every advantage counts. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-demko-feeling-calm-ahead-likely-season-debut/

Canucks’ Demko feeling calm ahead of likely season debut

Iain MacIntyre @imacSportsnet January 17, 2019, 7:23 PM

VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Canucks should all try to get inside Thatcher Demko’s head. No, seriously. Hockey is a lot simpler in there.

The prospect anointed the franchise’s goalie of the future from the day he was drafted in 2014 should finally get a chance this weekend, probably Friday night against the Buffalo Sabres, to start a game as a National Hockey League regular instead of as a tourist up from the minors on a day trip.

As this seminal moment in his life approaches, the 22-year-old from San Diego and Boston College feels, well, calm.

Demko is finishing a degree in applied psychology (with a minor in philosophy) and now we know to what he is applying this psychology.

“I think pressure is a made up thing,” he said Thursday after his umpteenth practice since the Canucks traded Anders Nilsson to Ottawa on Jan. 2 and promoted Demko from the Utica Comets. “Everyone loves to talk about it, but you can’t really put your finger on what it is. It’s really up to the subject to determine whether they feel pressure or not. I don’t feel pressure; I’m just excited to start this new chapter for me.”

We could all use some of Demko’s Zen, especially the Canucks.

Still without brilliant rookie Elias Pettersson, who has been out two weeks with a sprained knee, Vancouver also prepared Thursday for the possibility of playing without its other ace centre, Bo Horvat. The Canucks’ leader suffered a bruised thigh when hit by Zack Kassian late in Wednesday’s 3-2 shootout loss to the Edmonton Oilers.

The team was concerned enough to call up centre Tanner Kero from the American Hockey League, although Canucks coach Travis Green told reporters he expects Horvat to play on Friday.

Pettersson, however, will not. He has been back on the ice for a week but still hasn’t skated through a full-contact practice with the Canucks. The sensational Swede may be able to play Sunday against the Detroit Red Wings or could wait until Vancouver’s final pre-all-star break game next Wednesday against Carolina.

Demko is likely to make his season debut this weekend despite the career-best form of starter Jacob Markstrom, who stopped 28 of 30 Oilers shots Wednesday and is 10-3-2 since November.

The Canucks have a short turnaround at Rogers Arena between Friday night’s game and Sunday’s matinee, and the coaching staff wants to find a start for Demko before Vancouver’s nine-day schedule break at the end of the month. Nobody thinks it’s a good idea to make Demko wait until February to play.

His only NHL game was last March 31 when he stopped 25 of the first 26 shots he faced before allowing three straight late in the third period in what turned out to be a 5-4 overtime win against Columbus.

The game, requested by Demko through his agent because he wanted to know before this season what the NHL looked like, was granted as a reward for the goaltender’s outstanding AHL campaign (.922 save percentage and 25-13-4 record). It was also a reflection of his importance to the Canucks’ future.

“The circumstances were a little different last year, just coming up and getting thrown into the fire, so to speak,” Demko said. “This year, I feel like I’m much more part of the team. Obviously, I’ve been up (in the NHL) a little bit of time now instead of arriving from Utica at 2:30 in the morning, shaking guys’ hands and then going out for warmup. I’m comfortable in the room, even comfortable around the city. It doesn’t feel like something that’s abstract anymore.”

No, it’s going to get real very soon for Demko.

“He just always seems calm and controlled,” Green said. “You like that. (But) I also think he has a very high competitive edge to him, a lot like Marky. Maybe not as outgoing with it, but there’s a fire that burns pretty hot inside him and I think he has the mental makeup to be a goalie in the NHL.”

Green has the advantage of having coached both Markstrom and Demko in the AHL before the bench boss was promoted by the Canucks ahead of last season.

“I’ve liked him from Day 1,” Green said of Demko. “I like his focus, his commitment, wanting to get better. But I’m never going to sit here and say this guy is a bonafide starter. I wouldn’t say that about any player. You’ve got to go out and do it still, and there’s no sense putting those kind of words out there about a player.

“I think he has the ability to be a very good goalie in the NHL. I’ve thought it from the first day I saw him. If we didn’t feel it was his time to be in the NHL, then he wouldn’t be here.”

Green said he doesn’t need to put any more pressure on Demko than what the second-round pick puts on himself. But the goalie, of course, doesn’t believe in pressure.

“I had to learn that (mindset) for sure,” he said. “I definitely felt a lot of pressure through my teenage years. You just kind of mature and when you can take a step back and look at it, it’s a lot easier to put things in perspective. Maybe that’s a good reason to play 2 1/2 years in the American League — to learn for this moment, so I’m not psyching myself out.”

Edited by xereau

On 1/15/2019 at 10:49 AM, Glug Datt said:

not sure I grasp the reasoning there.. be interesting to hear Zepp's thoughts

IF you think the pads you are wearing help you, they will.  IF you are convinced that dark edges or red squares or Nebraska cotton or whatever help the shooter, you don't wear them.

I think you could give the pads Ian Clark says are the worst to Hasek and he is still near GOAT and in the HOF.    

Once you have the fitness and form, playing goal is 80% plus mental - and the rest is in your head.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

\

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Live game was too late for me where I am so I watched earlier today and must say I was VERY impressed with Demko.   His positioning was decent though it hurt him on two of the goals.   However, his reflex reactions, rebound control and lateral movement (not too much, just right) were off the charts and way beyond anything you expect from a rookie NHL goalie.   His composure when things were going hinky out in front of him was fantastic.   Body language and facial expressions (nice he had to tweak his mask near end of the game, got to see how he looked) showed a guy simply going about his job in a "I got this, all good gents" sort of way.   I was more than impressed the took the time to get his mask right asking for a bit of extra there in the forehead - that speaks of a guy to fully in the moment and not overwhelmed by the experience.

The Canucks have found a good one here.   There will be valleys but I suspect strongly this kid will have more peaks.   He is about as technically strong as any goalie on the planet right now under 24 and may be the most leg flexible 6'4" ish goalie since the first ten years of Luongo's career.    

Everyone will rave on about super rookie EP40 but Demko may be an equally important piece of the next run these guys try and make.   

Thatcher! Thatcher! Thatcher!

48 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Live game was too late for me where I am so I watched earlier today and must say I was VERY impressed with Demko.   His positioning was decent though it hurt him on two of the goals.   However, his reflex reactions, rebound control and lateral movement (not too much, just right) were off the charts and way beyond anything you expect from a rookie NHL goalie.   His composure when things were going hinky out in front of him was fantastic.   Body language and facial expressions (nice he had to tweak his mask near end of the game, got to see how he looked) showed a guy simply going about his job in a "I got this, all good gents" sort of way.   I was more than impressed the took the time to get his mask right asking for a bit of extra there in the forehead - that speaks of a guy to fully in the moment and not overwhelmed by the experience.

The Canucks have found a good one here.   There will be valleys but I suspect strongly this kid will have more peaks.   He is about as technically strong as any goalie on the planet right now under 24 and may be the most leg flexible 6'4" ish goalie since the first ten years of Luongo's career.    

Everyone will rave on about super rookie EP40 but Demko may be an equally important piece of the next run these guys try and make.   

not sure about all the technical stuff, but he impressed me with some awesome reflexes. I hope he turns out as big as I've built him up in my head, I've already got him pegged for next year's Calder.. if he still qualifies.. 

3 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

not sure about all the technical stuff, but he impressed me with some awesome reflexes. I hope he turns out as big as I've built him up in my head, I've already got him pegged for next year's Calder.. if he still qualifies.. 

I'm betting he will, but I guess since he played a game last year, any more than 9 games this year would render him ineligible.

EDIT: On another note, Demko's last game wants me to see him playing more so badly. His lightning quick reflexes were so fun to watch.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm betting he will, but I guess since he played a game last year, any more than 9 games this year would render him ineligible.

EDIT: On another note, Demko's last game wants me to see him playing more so badly. His lightning quick reflexes were so fun to watch.

copied this from nhl.com... I'm assuming it's the same for skaters & goalies

Rookie Qualifications. To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

copied this from nhl.com... I'm assuming it's the same for skaters & goalies

Rookie Qualifications. To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie

Ah, so then he can play up to 25 games. He'll almost certainly be a rookie next year then.

I didn’t get to see last game and have yet to see him play a game. 

So so all I’ve seen of him are highlights so I take it with a grain of salt

But, I notice his style is that of the great 90s goalies, Hasek Roy Brodeur and McLean, where he’s using a more old school pre butterfly style to stop pucks. He’s very animated and aggressive yet incredibly economical and efficient.

I also really enjoyed watching his highlights and look forward to seeing him play more often

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wanless said:

I didn’t get to see last game and have yet to see him play a game. 

So so all I’ve seen of him are highlights so I take it with a grain of salt

But, I notice his style is that of the great 90s goalies, Hasek Roy Brodeur and McLean, where he’s using a more old school pre butterfly style to stop pucks. He’s very animated and aggressive yet incredibly economical and efficient.

I also really enjoyed watching his highlights and look forward to seeing him play more often

Butterfly is great, but at 6'4" with long legs it is amazing to watch him do the full splits the way he does and cover the entire bottom of the net. His athleticism is off the charts.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Butterfly is great, but at 6'4" with long legs it is amazing to watch him do the full splits the way he does and cover the entire bottom of the net. His athleticism is off the charts.

I noticed there’s a few highlights of him mucking it up

maybe we have our enforcer    

:bigblush:

Edited by Wanless
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I noticed there’s a few highlights of him mucking it up

maybe we have our enforcer    

:bigblush:

Not to mention his ability to handle the puck. The Canucks have never had a goalie who was really good at that. In fact they have all pretty much sucked unless you can find one I'm not thinking of atm. It hasn't been on display yet, but he will separate himself with his puckhandling ability.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Not to mention his ability to handle the puck. The Canucks have never had a goalie who was really good at that. In fact they have all pretty much sucked unless you can find one I'm not thinking of atm. It hasn't been on display yet, but he will separate himself with his puckhandling ability.

So

goaltender, check

enforcer, check

puck moving dman, check

though I gotta say that markstrom has improved in his puck handling

20 minutes ago, Wanless said:

So

goaltender, check

enforcer, check

puck moving dman, check

though I gotta say that markstrom has improved in his puck handling

Popcorn vendor, check

50/50 ticket salesman, check

parking valet, check

Is there anything this guy can't do?

Agree that Marky has improved his puckhandling, but really there was nowhere to go but up :P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Honestly, Markstrom has his periodic gaffs, but he's probably the best Canuck goaltender I've ever seen at handling the puck (in the 19 years I've watched). Lu and Schneids were both horrific. Demko looked decent in his one game, but I'd have to see more games to see if he's actually good at it. He also needs to mesh with his d-men first before we can really see his puck-moving potential.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Puck handling did not strike me as being even average. As he gets used to his d-men it will improve, but it is not there yet !

Edited by SingleThorn