The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the 3 gaols against the coilers, id say Demko is an ok backup thats on the rise of becomg established. That save on draisalts breakaway was awesome. hope he gets a few more games behind Marky on these last games of the season. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Literally one game.

He has been beat clean in all his games, or let one in that shouldn't have. I am a huge Demko fan, and praise Benning left and right, but he has made a mess of our goal tending depth. Demko had no reason other than ticket sales to come to NHL this year. He should've stayed in Utica.

Just now, Zhukini said:

Ferraro said it best, at some point if you keep him down there too long you're develpoing him to be an AHL player. He has looked fine, better than Schneider did when he started out

Schneider was pretty terrible when he started out and turned out quite well in the end. I think patience is best to keep in mind with young goalies.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I was criticized on the Prospects board for critiquing Demko's game and saying that he is a good goalie but has technical flaws that need to be worked on.  He goes down too early, doesn't stay big and gives up too many goals over his glove.  That was evident again last night.  I think he belongs in the NHL mainly so that he can work with Ian Clark every day but as a back up with Markstrom getting the majority of the starts.  Clark needs to fix Demko's flaws in practice and in the video room before he plays in a lot of NHL games.

There is nothing wrong with that as it is the path that most young goalie prospects take.  The thing that I find crazy is when I read that Markstrom should be traded because he has value after having a good season this year.  Demko is no where near ready to be a NHL starter and it is not possible to even predict if he will develop into one.  Only time will tell if that happens.  Right now Jacob Markstrom is your starter and should continue to be until Demko can show the consistency needed to make Marky expendable.  

Agreed.

Re: the bolded, I'd assume that theoretically, the plan would be to trade Markstrom for assets and sign a vet in the off season to replace him and tandem with Demko. Not to have Demko be the official starter (not right away anyway).

Personally, I think it's likely we move one of them between this summer and next TDL as we'll only be able to protect one in the expansion draft and there's almost zero chance Marky's willing to sign a 1 year extension (especially if he continues something like this level of play next season).

My money would be on us moving Demko though, not Marky in that case. Extend Marky on a 4-6 year deal, sign/trade for a decent backup to bridge the gap until DiPietro arrives, trade/package Demko for either the young  1LW or D (likely right side) we need.

Like others have pointed out it’s way too early to tell what Demko will become, just clear he’s not ready now. 

It’s worth noting however that things would look bad next season if Marky got injured for a longer period.