The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, Markstrom has his periodic gaffs, but he's probably the best Canuck goaltender I've ever seen at handling the puck (in the 19 years I've watched). Lu and Schneids were both horrific. Demko looked decent in his one game, but I'd have to see more games to see if he's actually good at it. He also needs to mesh with his d-men first before we can really see his puck-moving potential.

I'm glad someone mentioned that about Markstrom. Lately he's been looking like Mike Smith getting those quick passes to the neutral zone. He's really alert and active.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Not to mention his ability to handle the puck. The Canucks have never had a goalie who was really good at that. In fact they have all pretty much sucked unless you can find one I'm not thinking of atm. It hasn't been on display yet, but he will separate himself with his puckhandling ability.

Johan Hedburg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Not to mention his ability to handle the puck. The Canucks have never had a goalie who was really good at that. In fact they have all pretty much sucked unless you can find one I'm not thinking of atm. It hasn't been on display yet, but he will separate himself with his puckhandling ability.

Kirk McLean was pretty good at handling the puck.  He was probably the best we've ever had...

3 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I was going to say Johan “The Moose” Hedberg as well. He was probably the last great goalie puck handler that we have seen on our team - even though he only played 21 games for us back in 03-04.

Yeah I was pretty young st the time so I don’t remember him for much more than his puck handling and the fact that the pick we traded for him turned into Alex Goligoski. 

I looked him up on hockeydb just s few months before reading your post and wasn’t surprised to see that was all he played for the Canucks. I seemed to remember him being around more. 

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Gary Suitcase Smith was the best puck handler of all time for Canucks! I think he is the reason behind the rule of goalies crossing the red line!

I wish I could've seen him play! From what I hear, he was otherworldly in 1974-75.

14 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Gary Suitcase Smith was the best puck handler of all time for Canucks! I think he is the reason behind the rule of goalies crossing the red line!

They should pull some of those game videos out of the vault and replay them! I think Smith used to anticipate the empty net, 6th attacker, plays so he could try scoring. He could lift the puck the length of the ice if I remember correctly. Ahead of his time.  

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2019 at 3:29 AM, -AJ- said:

Honestly, Markstrom has his periodic gaffs, but he's probably the best Canuck goaltender I've ever seen at handling the puck (in the 19 years I've watched). Lu and Schneids were both horrific. Demko looked decent in his one game, but I'd have to see more games to see if he's actually good at it. He also needs to mesh with his d-men first before we can really see his puck-moving potential.

funny I don't remember Schneid being all that bad.. maybe it was just in contrast to Lu, who made me cover my eyes any time he left the crease 

On 1/22/2019 at 5:07 PM, Glug Datt said:

funny I don't remember Schneid being all that bad.. maybe it was just in contrast to Lu, who made me cover my eyes any time he left the crease 

I thought Schneider was even worse. It was a night and day difference with Miller. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 7:52 AM, canuckledraggin said:

Popcorn vendor, check

50/50 ticket salesman, check

parking valet, check

Is there anything this guy can't do?

Agree that Marky has improved his puckhandling, but really there was nowhere to go but up :P

He even worked on a drive thru once. The video is on Comets TV channel on YT.

• Cheers 1