The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Demko will be fine as he adjusts to the NHL game.  Takes a bit of time but all of the elements are there.  It may seem minor but I notice when he handles the puck (good puck handler in my mind) he places the puck precisely a few inches from the lower rear post (whatever that part is called) when placing it behind the net.  Seems to allow the D to get the puck quicker on the rush.  The fact that he pays attention to details at that level bodes well for him to focus on specifics of his game.  

The kid will be alright!

• Upvote 1

*** BOLD PREDICTION ***

Just wanted to put this out there before it happens.

Jim Benning is planning on moving Thatcher Demko this off season. With the emergence of Markstrom, He views goaltending as a position of strength in the organization and is going to leverage that to fill a need, either for a winger or a defenceman. He trusts that Markstom can hold fort until Dipietro develops, and has signed Kielly as insurance, in case Markstrom faulters at some point over the next couple years.

Edit: I didnt really read a lot of this thread before posting. I think other people are discussing this too. I'm quite convinced this is going to happen.

Edited by Yung1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

*** BOLD PREDICTION ***

Jim Benning is planning on moving Thatcher Demko this off season. With the emergence of Markstrom, He views goaltending as a position of strength in the organization and is going to leverage that to fill a need, either for a winger or a defenceman. He trusts that Markstom can hold fort until Dipietro develops, and has signed Kielly as insurance, in case Markstrom faulters at some point over the next couple years.

Edit: I didnt really read a lot of this thread before posting. I think other people are discussing this too. I'm quite convinced this is going to happen.

I'm not convinced. People will say what they want to believe and Benning doesn't exactly have a history of trading away prospects without good reason, and it's not usually because of other players in the lineup.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yung1 said:

*** BOLD PREDICTION ***

So you trade away demko.....

...and you feel having one 29 year old goaltender who may have shown in just the 2nd half of this year that maybe he can be a solid starter in the NHL...and you think that goaltending is a position of strength?

Haha...I want some of what you are smoking.

One tiny injury and everything goes to hell if you get rid of demko. Give me a break.

15 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So you trade away demko.....

...and you feel having one 29 year old goaltender who may have shown in just the 2nd half of this year that maybe he can be a solid starter in the NHL...and you think that goaltending is a position of strength?

Haha...I want some of what you are smoking.

One tiny injury and everything goes to hell if you get rid of demko. Give me a break.

1. ur a loser for not being able to disagree with the post without the sarcastic remarks 

2. it's how i theorize jim benning views the situation

3. it's not so outlandish considering we have 2 blue chips prospects in goal, a now decent prospect further along his development path signed out of college, and a jakob markstrom that seems to be reaching the potential he was always viewed to have.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, Yung1 said:

*** BOLD PREDICTION ***

This makes zero sense and is totally jumping the gun by at least two seasons.

DiPietro and Kielly are both, even if they develop as reliable NHL backups, never mind starters, atleast 2-3 seasons away as well. Benning would be foolish to leave the canucks paper-thin by trading Demko or Markstrom for the next year or two, if the remaining one goes down even for a 10-15 game stretch.

Demko hasn't reached peak potential yet and Markstrom is 1 season away from proving himself as a long term, bona-fide keeper. Remember, last season he was above average and while he has been excellent this season, its still only one season and he needs to prove that he's turned a corner and become elite, instead of having a career year only. Only way to know is via experience and another year or two of excellence will solidify him at the top. 

When that happens and provided Demko continues to develop, we will have a situation of 1 starter ( Markstrom), 1 almost starter ( Demko) and 1 rising goalie ready to take over as reliable backup/future starter ( DiPietro). THEN we will be in a position of power to trade from, trading either a 31-32 year old Markstrom to a team that is in the 'win now' mode, or trade Demko to a team looking to build long term stability in the goal, if we enter the 'win now' window in 2 years and if we deem Marky more likely to get us over the hump than Demko. 

Either scenario would result in a 1R pick or a highly regarded prospect either way and is much better to do so, then.

Right now, it'd be madness. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

This makes zero sense and is totally jumping the gun by at least two seasons.

DiPietro and Kielly are both, even if they develop as reliable NHL backups, never mind starters, atleast 2-3 seasons away as well. Benning would be foolish to leave the canucks paper-thin by trading Demko or Markstrom for the next year or two, if the remaining one goes down even for a 10-15 game stretch.

Demko hasn't reached peak potential yet and Markstrom is 1 season away from proving himself as a long term, bona-fide keeper. Remember, last season he was above average and while he has been excellent this season, its still only one season and he needs to prove that he's turned a corner and become elite, instead of having a career year only. Only way to know is via experience and another year or two of excellence will solidify him at the top. 

When that happens and provided Demko continues to develop, we will have a situation of 1 starter ( Markstrom), 1 almost starter ( Demko) and 1 rising goalie ready to take over as reliable backup/future starter ( DiPietro). THEN we will be in a position of power to trade from, trading either a 31-32 year old Markstrom to a team that is in the 'win now' mode, or trade Demko to a team looking to build long term stability in the goal, if we enter the 'win now' window in 2 years and if we deem Marky more likely to get us over the hump than Demko. 

Either scenario would result in a 1R pick or a highly regarded prospect either way and is much better to do so, then.

Right now, it'd be madness. 

maxresdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Sure. Thats 2 seasons away. 

Makes no sense to do it now and not next season or mid-way through the season after. 

Good goalies are a rare commodity in the NHL and if we have two, we will be able to off-load at least one before the expansion draft without much problem.

All the points i mention, are valid for the next two seasons and trading either Demko or Markstrom in 1-1.5 years from now has a higher chance of yeiding better returns AND lower chance of screwing over our team in case of any injury concerns.

Edited by canuckistani

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Sure. Thats 2 seasons away. 

Makes no sense to do it now and not next season or mid-way through the season after. 

Good goalies are a rare commodity in the NHL and if we have two, we will be able to off-load at least one before the expansion draft without much problem.

One - Marky needs to be extended by next TDL or moved.

Two - The closer you wait until the ED, the more trade values plummet as the market floods.

Three - You need to sign a stop gap UFA to tandem and/or backup.

Great planning that is...

giphy.gif

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

One - Marky needs to be extended by next TDL or moved.

Ok. Thats 1 more year practically. Thats 1 more year for both Marky & Demko's values to rise and 1 more year of DiPietro's maturization, leaving us closer to covering the gap. 

Two - The closer you wait until the ED, the more trade values plummet as the market floods.

There isn't going to be a market flood of goalies, since not every team has a great goalie, never-mind two. There are teams right now who'd kill to have a good goalie or goalie prospect and that will not change in the next year or two. The NHL ALWAYS have teams- at least 3-5 of them no less every season- that are in goalie hell. 

I am not seeing any deal currently that is a superior one to one in Jan 2020-Feb 2021 window.

7 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Ok. Thats 1 more year practically. Thats 1 more year for both Marky & Demko's values to rise and 1 more year of DiPietro's maturization, leaving us closer to covering the gap. 

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the next year ahead of us? Plus there's also this:

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Three - You need to sign a stop gap UFA to tandem and/or backup.

There's quite a few decent UFA vets available this July that we could sign for 2'ish year deals and expose in the ED. How many do you think will still be available, mid season - next February? Do you think those guys will be as good as the ones that signed in the summer?

Now by all means. Perhaps there's no fit this summer/Jim can't get value etc. In that case though we need to do SOMETHING by next summer at the latest. Wherever Jim feels he gets the best value.

7 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

There isn't going to be a market flood of goalies, since not every team has a great goalie, never-mind two. There are teams right now who'd kill to have a good goalie or goalie prospect and that will not change in the next year or two. The NHL ALWAYS have teams- at least 3-5 of them no less every season- that are in goalie hell. 

I am not seeing any deal currently that is a superior one to one in Jan 2020-Feb 2021 window.

Not how it happened last ED. It massively depressed trade values (to D in particular). 

Edited by aGENT

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the next year ahead of us? Plus there's also this:

Well i was responding to a dude who says he thinks Benning is gonna move TD during THIS off-season. 

There's quite a few decent UFA vets available this July that we could sign for 2'ish year deals and expose in the ED. How many do you think will still be available, mid season - next February? Do you think those guys will be as good as the ones that signed in the summer?

Why on earth would we wanna do that ? Go with what we have, when what we have are increasing in value (both the goalies). No point in risking signing a UFA goalie and hope he carries over his form here, gels with our defense, and team regresses as a result.

Not how it happened last ED. It massively depressed trade values (to D in particular). 

Yes for D, but not for goalies. Goalie market never has been saturated enough to not get a good deal for a top notch goalie. I mean sure, if you want a top 5 draft pick, its not gonna happen but a mid/late 1R for a peaking starter like Markstrom or a rising young goalie is always in the cards. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

Well i was responding to a dude who says he thinks Benning is gonna move TD during THIS off-season. 

This one or next one. Either is fine as long as the value/fit is there. Pretty much has to be a summer though to sign a UFA.

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Why on earth would we wanna do that ? Go with what we have, when what we have are increasing in value (both the goalies).

Because when we trade one, we're going to need someone to either tandem with Demko or backup Marky. Sign a solid vet for 2'ish years term that we don't mind exposing in the ED and buys us time to develop DiPietro and/or find an alternate solution.

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yes for D, but not for goalies. Goalie market never has been saturated enough to not get a good deal for a top notch goalie. I mean sure, if you want a top 5 draft pick, its not gonna happen but a mid/late 1R for a peaking starter like Markstrom or a rising young goalie is always in the cards. 

I'd love to see all these high value goalie trades prior to the ED. Bishop for a 4th? :lol:

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This one or next one. Either is fine as long as the value/fit is there. Pretty much has to be a summer though to sign a UFA.

Because when we trade one, we're going to need someone to either tandem with Demko or backup Marky. Sign a solid vet for 2'ish years term that we don't mind exposing in the ED and buys us time to develop DiPietro and/or find an alternate solution.

I'd love to see all these high value goalie trades prior to the ED. Bishop for a 4th? :lol:

Again, why this deadline instead of next deadline ?

All players' value improves during the dead-line and 1 more season gives both Demko and Markstrom higher value...

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Again, why this deadline instead of next deadline ?

All players' value improves during the dead-line and 1 more season gives both Demko and Markstrom higher value...

How many solid UFA goalies are available to sign at TDL's to replace the guy we move?

If we're going to make a move (which we should) it has to be this or next summer. And next summer will be fast approaching the ED and it's depressed trade market. 

Our goalies may or may not have more value a year from now (Marky's coming off a career year and Demko still has that young, 'new prospect' smell on him). They could build on that or they could just as easily lose some of it. Then add the ED market depression. At best, you break 'even'. At worst...

Waiting = more risk.

Edited by aGENT