The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How many solid UFA goalies are available to sign at TDL's to replace the guy we move?

If we're going to make a move (which we should) it has to be this or next summer. And next summer will be fast approaching the ED and it's depressed trade market. 

Our goalies may or may not have more value a year from now (Marky's coming off a career year and Demko still has that young, 'new prospect' smell on him). They could build on that or they could just as easily lose some of it. Then add the ED market depression. At best, you break 'even'. At worst...

Waiting = more risk.

Disagree.

Even if the market is depressed next off season, Marky and Demko are both likely to improve their stock through next season, to yeild higher values then, than now. At best, their higher value + depressed market = same value as this off season. Which automatically is a better option, since its less risk for us. As i said, Demko isn't ready to be a starter but might be in 1 more season. Marky may improve his stock even further (thus yeilding even more in value of trade) or prove that it was just a career season, thus saving us from a goalie situation by prematurely trading Demko. 

Waiting = less risk. 

7 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Disagree.

Even if the market is depressed next off season, Marky and Demko are both likely to improve their stock through next season, to yeild higher values then, than now. At best, their higher value + depressed market = same value as this off season. Which automatically is a better option, since its less risk for us. As i said, Demko isn't ready to be a starter but might be in 1 more season. Marky may improve his stock even further (thus yeilding even more in value of trade) or prove that it was just a career season, thus saving us from a goalie situation by prematurely trading Demko. 

Waiting = less risk. 

You're leaving far too much to chance IMO. There are zero guarantees that Marky betters his career year or that Demko doesn't hiccup in his sophomore season. Or that either get hurt. etc, etc.

What if Marky gets hurt and Demko struggles under the load of starting? There's so many scenarios where it goes sideways and then we add the ED market pressures.

By no means am I suggesting Benning force a deal this summer but he should certainly be looking long and hard at any serious options. And if we can get a young, 2nd pair right D or top 6 W for either (or packaged) and sign a solid vet to step in, we shouldn't hesitate IMO.

Edited by aGENT

You're leaving far too much to chance IMO. There are zero guarantees that Marky betters his career year or that Demko doesn't hiccup in his sophomore season. Or that either get hurt. etc, etc.

No, i am leaving LESS to chance. We have two goalies right now - one who just had his best season and may- MAY- finally be solidifying as a top 10 starter goalie in the league and another who is a highly regarded prospect who is taking steps in the right direction. Odds are pretty obvious that hanging on to BOTH of them for now is a lower risk for the team, than trading one of them right now and hoping who we kept doesn't hiccup or keeps going strong. 

What if Marky gets hurt and Demko struggles under the load of starting? There's so many scenarios where it goes sideways and then we add the ED market pressures.

By no means am I suggesting Benning force a deal this summer but he should certainly be looking long and hard at any serious options. And if we can get a young, 2nd pair right D or top 6 W for either (or packaged) and sign a solid vet to step in, we shouldn't hesitate IMO.

unless top 6W is actually a bonafide 1st line winger, then yes, we should definitely hesitate and hold on for next TDL/off season. Minimizes risk for the team currently. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

No, i am leaving LESS to chance. We have two goalies right now - one who just had his best season and may- MAY- finally be solidifying as a top 10 starter goalie in the league and another who is a highly regarded prospect who is taking steps in the right direction. Odds are pretty obvious that hanging on to BOTH of them for now is a lower risk for the team, than trading one of them right now and hoping who we kept doesn't hiccup or keeps going strong. 

unless top 6W is actually a bonafide 1st line winger, then yes, we should definitely hesitate and hold on for next TDL/off season. Minimizes risk for the team currently. 

Agree to disagree.

• Upvote 1

In a curious turn of events, Demko has finished the year with a higher save percentage (.913) than Markstrom (.912). Obviously, workload needs to be taken into consideration, but I didn't see it coming.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Tre Mac said:

Just named to the US WHC team along with Schneider and a goalie not in the NHL.  Good chance Thatchy D could take the reigns and be the starter for the US

Just shows how much Demko is respected as an elite goalie.  I really think we need to trade Marky, and let Demko take over.  He's a winner!  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Is Demko still considered a rookie for next year? I can't exactly recall the details of the rules. 

Rookie Qualifications. To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

I would assume that this applies to goalies as well.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Rookie Qualifications. To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

I would assume that this applies to goalies as well.

Guess he is. Neat!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...