The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

On 5/15/2019 at 10:07 AM, artemchubarov said:

Let's not get too crazy, with greens systems not sure how much that can be maintained over an 82 game season. I was talking to "my buddy" last November and he said at the time to fire Green so we will see how it plays out. 

Well, you tell "your buddy" Willie D that Green is doing just fine.....or you could go to the bathroom Willie and tell the mirror.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Does anyone know how Demkos off-season is going? 

So quiet here....

I find that weird considering he very well may be one of the main core pieces should we win the cup!

Demko's going to be the backup this season. 

What's the saying? No news is good news? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Demko's going to be the backup this season. 

What's the saying? No news is good news? 

Yah he will probably be a backup for this season, with this team this year though.... you never no.  Anyway, I'm very excited to see how his training went working with Clarke this summer.  The season can't come soon enough!!! Lol

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

If Demko has a good first half of the season, is it possible that Jacob gets traded at the deadline?

He'd have to be good enough to start stealing a lot of starts from Marky for that to happen IMO and even then, the only reason it's plausible is the upcoming expansion draft where we'll lose one of them for free (maybe) anyways.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

He'd have to be good enough to start stealing a lot of starts from Marky for that to happen IMO and even then, the only reason it's plausible is the upcoming expansion draft where we'll lose one of them for free (maybe) anyways.

What are the odds marky let’s us do a 1 year contract to we avoid exposing him

Edited by Dats hockey

41 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

What are the odds marky let’s us do a 1 year contract to we avoid exposing him

Probably very unlikely, but it would be ideal from our point of view.

6 hours ago, dpn1 said:

If Demko has a good first half of the season, is it possible that Jacob gets traded at the deadline?

I think that would be a smart move on our part. If Jacob has a strong start to this season I think by Christmas he will have really solid value and is someone we should look to move for a pick and/or prospect. 

Marky is solid and had a great season last year, but I still think we're a few years away before competing hard though and I believe Demko and Dipietro will be one of our starters for the future at that time (maybe starter and backup). Jacob is hitting his prime right now it seems so I think teams will definitely be interested in him. 

Edited by Bobby James
  • Cheers 1

As good as Markstrom played, his season stats overall were not really particularily impressive. If he plays lights out next season I can see him having value in a trade - but the team that would want him are going to have to be really bad in net or they will be the ones giving up a good goalie in the ED. Not sure there is a huge market there. Calgary maybe?

25 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As good as Markstrom played, his season stats overall were not really particularily impressive. If he plays lights out next season I can see him having value in a trade - but the team that would want him are going to have to be really bad in net or they will be the ones giving up a good goalie in the ED. Not sure there is a huge market there. Calgary maybe?

I think what was lost in the rush of the end of the season was that he finished fairly poorly and that soured his numbers. His last 10 games were only a .903 save percentage and if you limit it to his last 5 games, he had a .889 save percentage. In his first 55 games, he had a .915 save percentage. It was his poor final five games that brought his numbers down to a much more average .912.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think what was lost in the rush of the end of the season was that he finished fairly poorly and that soured his numbers. His last 10 games were only a .903 save percentage and if you limit it to his last 5 games, he had a .889 save percentage. In his first 55 games, he had a .915 save percentage. It was his poor final five games that brought his numbers down to a much more average .912.

I will assume this is correct, but it changes nothing, really.  A #1 goalie is a guy you can depend on virtually night in, night out, and ends the season with numbers befitting of a #1 goalie.  In his defense our d wasn't great, but I am still not convinced he is there yet.  Limited usage aside, I believe Demko had better numbers.

Here's hoping both our goalies play lights out and we can afford to package one up to maybe get another d prospect?

Juuso Valimaki+Talbot for Markstrom+Goldobin or Tanev?

Edited by kloubek

42 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I will assume this is correct, but it changes nothing, really.  A #1 goalie is a guy you can depend on virtually night in, night out, and ends the season with numbers befitting of a #1 goalie.  In his defense our d wasn't great, but I am still not convinced he is there yet.  Limited usage aside, I believe Demko had better numbers.

Here's hoping both our goalies play lights out and we can afford to package one up to maybe get another d prospect?

I agree. I wasn't so much defending Marky as I was just stating why his save percentage might be lower than some people thought it was this year. He dropped the ball at the end of the season and I'm not letting him off the hook for that. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Only 6 starters had more games than Marks; 61gp, 62gp, 62gp, 63gp, 66gp and 67gp.  In the same 6 starters their sv% were as follows: .913, .913, .896, .913, .918, and .913.   He was 4th overall in shots on goal.  I think these stats suggest a pretty solid #1 NHL goaltender. 

We are all hoping that Demko will be a #1 goalie at some point, but that could take some time.  For now, the best case scenario is having Demko taking on 25-30 games this season.  Given AJ's comments regarding Marks last 10 games, I would think a reduction in gps to 50-55 would probably make his stats even better.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:27 PM, Bobby James said:

I think that would be a smart move on our part. If Jacob has a strong start to this season I think by Christmas he will have really solid value and is someone we should look to move for a pick and/or prospect. 

Marky is solid and had a great season last year, but I still think we're a few years away before competing hard though and I believe Demko and Dipietro will be one of our starters for the future at that time (maybe starter and backup). Jacob is hitting his prime right now it seems so I think teams will definitely be interested in him. 

I think you are right. If there is a big market for goalies at the trade deadline, The return on Markie may be higher than we all thought.

• Like 1

Ian Tulloch of The Athletic listed Thatcher Demko as an Honorable Mention for his "Top 10 NHL Breakout Candidates". Though I can't quote him because of the paywall, he basically said that he believes that Thatcher Demko has the ability to beat Markstrom and cement himself as the Canucks starter by the end of next season.

Demko was also the only Canuck on his list/an honorable mention.

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

Ian Tulloch of The Athletic listed Thatcher Demko as an Honorable Mention for his "Top 10 NHL Breakout Candidates". Though I can't quote him because of the paywall, he basically said that he believes that Thatcher Demko has the ability to beat Markstrom and cement himself as the Canucks starter by the end of next season.

Demko was also the only Canuck on his list/an honorable mention.

Thanks.

Who were the other 10?

Edit: without quoting him!  :ph34r:

Edited by Kanukfanatic