The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

If Marky gets locked up long term, I think we'll likely see Demko moved.  No point losing him for nothing due to the expansion draft.

It certainly is possible. But there is also no reason to worry too much about the draft 1.5 years away.

Whichever goalie plays better should stay imo.

I'm personally of the belief that Benning will re-sign Markstrom and will trade Demko by next year's deadline, maybe even the draft. I don't think a side deal with Seattle makes sense given what they would likely demand for not drafting Demko.

With Anderson going down in TO, they need a goalie more than ever. I know half of this board hates the Leafs but I'd personally rather trade Demko out east than say Edmonton who has needed a #1 goalie since well before Schneider was traded to NJ. 

So I ask...is now the time to trade Demko? It seems almost inevitable that Markstrom's extension is right around the corner. We would need to add another backup goalie in a separate deal, as TO doesn't have a goalie that would interest us. But Dubas could be desperate and that would be the recipe required to extract as much value in a deal for Demko as possible. 

Also, what would a realistic trade look like? Remember, Carolina has their 1st round pick for the upcoming draft. TO has a couple young defensemen with potential (Liljegren and Sandin). They've also been rumoured to have Kapanen on the block...

40 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm personally of the belief that Benning will re-sign Markstrom and will trade Demko by next year's deadline, maybe even the draft. I don't think a side deal with Seattle makes sense given what they would likely demand for not drafting Demko.

With Anderson going down in TO, they need a goalie more than ever. I know half of this board hates the Leafs but I'd personally rather trade Demko out east than say Edmonton who has needed a #1 goalie since well before Schneider was traded to NJ. 

So I ask...is now the time to trade Demko? It seems almost inevitable that Markstrom's extension is right around the corner. We would need to add another backup goalie in a separate deal, as TO doesn't have a goalie that would interest us. But Dubas could be desperate and that would be the recipe required to extract as much value in a deal for Demko as possible. 

Also, what would a realistic trade look like? Remember, Carolina has their 1st round pick for the upcoming draft. TO has a couple young defensemen with potential (Liljegren and Sandin). They've also been rumoured to have Kapanen on the block...

Demko + Baertschi

for

Kapenen + 3rd

The salary is about the same.  But it would mean VAN has no reliable back-up.

No clue if this would be of interest to either teams.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, BPA said:

Demko + Baertschi

for

Kapenen + 3rd

Haha...horrible!!

I would not help out TO like that!!?  Their biggest need is a goalie.

Our biggest need is a D man.  

That trade proposal is horrible.

15 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Trading Demko is all about the evaluation of Deipietro and what UFA backups would be available. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha...horrible!!

I would not help out TO like that!!?  Their biggest need is a goalie.

Our biggest need is a D man.  

That trade proposal is horrible.

I'm assuming you don't like the trade because of the assets involved, not because you'd be helping the Leafs. Because that is of no concern to any GM with a brain.

Kapanen and a 3rd AND dumping Baertschi...you aren't going to get a better offer than that for Demko. 

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Trading Demko is all about the evaluation of Deipietro and what UFA backups would be available. 

Yes and no. Dipietro is at least 2 years away. The longest we can keep Demko for is a couple weeks over 1 year from now before we risk losing him for nothing (when the season ends) or giving up serious assets in a side deal Seattle so we can keep him. So the clock is ticking and history has shown that Benning is better off getting out in front of these things rather than wait to the last moment and deal from a position of weakness. 

• Wat 1

On 2/4/2020 at 2:24 PM, BPA said:

Demko + Baertschi

for

Kapenen + 3rd

I'd be more than fine with that deal. We would need to do a separate deal for a backup though and that could become difficult with our financial restraints. But that's some serious value for Demko. 

• Wat 1

33 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'd be more than fine with that deal. We would need to do a separate deal for a backup though and that could become difficult with our financial restraints. But that's some serious value for Demko. 

Demko is projected to become a #1 netminder, while Kapenan is a soft, middle 6 player.  3rd round pick is a gamble.

I wouldn't be happy with that trade at all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Demko is projected to become a #1 netminder, while Kapenan is a soft, middle 6 player.  3rd round pick is a gamble.

I think Kapanen is a good player, but I wouldn't trade them Demko for him. Last thing we need is more wingers. If I'm trading Demko, I'd be targetting Ristolainen. Buffalo is putting faith in Lukkonen but that's a lot of eggs in that basket IMO for them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think Kapanen is a good player, but I wouldn't trade them Demko for him. Last thing we need is more wingers. If I'm trading Demko, I'd be targetting Ristolainen. Buffalo is putting faith in Lukkonen but that's a lot of eggs in that basket IMO for them.

That's better for sure.  Aren't the Sabres looking good in the goalie dept. though?

Trading Demko (so soon in his career) could have some horrific ramifications down the road.  I'm sure that JB and his staff will put some serious thought into any decisions regarding TD's future. 

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That's better for sure.  Aren't the Sabres looking good in the goalie dept. though?

Trading Demko (so soon in his career) could have some horrific ramifications down the road.  I'm sure that JB and his staff will put some serious thought into any decisions regarding TD's future. 

I think they have some promise but something isn't working there. Not sure what direction they will head in and what they would be looking for. Not sold on Ullmark. Luukkonen has been in the ECHL mostly this year, but as a 20 year old. I didn't know about Johanson until just looking up now, so maybe he changes things for their goaltending outlook.

I would love to keep Demko as the succession plan, but the expansion might make that unlikely.

57 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It's 2020, at least 80% of league is "soft". 

Kapanen is a 2nd line winger, maybe 3rd on a contender. He would easily become our fastest skating forward, an area where we could use improvement. I think he would fit nicely along Bo's wing. He's on pace for a 46 point season playing 15.59 min/game. Bump him up another minute or two and we're talking about a 50+ point player that kills penalties. That's a solid 2nd line winger. 

You're right, 3rd round picks (or any draft pick for that matter) are a gamble. But sometimes 3rd round picks turn into guys like Tyler Madden and (4th round) Jack Rathbone. So I like our scouting department's chances.

Also, we all know Demko has potential. But that's all it is at this point. Kapanen alone has at least the value of an early 2nd round pick. Taking on Baertschi is probably worth a 3rd. Plus TO's 3rd round pick. That's some damn good value IMO. Demko isn't in the same category that Schneider was in when we traded him. We're not going to get a top 10 pick or anything close. Who knows, maybe there's a better package out there, but I think you're downplaying the TO offer a little. 

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Sure but how do we fit his $5.4M salary under our cap? Even with Baertschi and Demko's salaries combined we still come up short. 

Also, Buffalo already has Ullmark, who has quietly had an impressive season. If they add Demko, they're in the same position we were in risking losing Ullmark or Demko to Seattle for nothing. So I don't think Buffalo is shopping for goaltending. 

Edited by VIC_CITY

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure but how do we fit his $5.4M salary under our cap? Even with Baertschi and Demko's salaries combined we still come up short. 

We definitely don’t want Crapenen.  Guy is a dime a dozen middle six, soft, perimeter winger.  Risto would be great to have, and I’d do that fir Demko.  Impossible though, because of JB’s bad contracts.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We definitely don’t want Crapenen.  Guy is a dime a dozen middle six, soft, perimeter winger.  Risto would be great to have, and I’d do that fir Demko.  Impossible though, because of JB’s bad contracts.  

Lol I thought you were a Leafs fan Alf? :P

Well, you got your wish for now. Demko won't be wearing blue and white any time soon. 

• Cheers 1