The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

16 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

This thread is making me puke with Demko to the laffs

Well, Dubas did you and Alf a solid last night.

What other teams need a goalie? Edmonton and SJ (no thanks - divisional rivals). Chicago could be a player with both their goalies heading to UFA. I'd prefer sending Demko out east though. Perhaps Detroit? Jimmy Howard is a UFA..not sure who they plan on using as a starter? They could be a good target. What about Ottawa? 

On 2/6/2020 at 12:05 PM, Alflives said:

We definitely don’t want Crapenen.  Guy is a dime a dozen middle six, soft, perimeter winger.  Risto would be great to have, and I’d do that fir Demko.  Impossible though, because of JB’s bad contracts.  

Saw this on Reddit and had to post for you Alf!

f3165a4.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:33 AM, higgyfan said:

Demko is projected to become a #1 netminder, while Kapenan is a soft, middle 6 player.  3rd round pick is a gamble.

I wouldn't be happy with that trade at all.

He stepped up really well when Nylander held out. Wouldn't mind having him but don't think we got the roster spot.

i think how the nuck goalies situation is dealt with depends on which window you wish to look out of

if you are looking out the window of the canucks making the playoffs this season

and arming the team with the best combination of players for success

they have to keep demko to ensure the goalkeeping position is solidly staffed for low salary cap numbers

canucks have above average goalies with under average salary cap hit

canucks need this tandem to get as deep into the playoffs as possible

i think this is the most important window right now - so no trade of demko should/will happen this season

if you are looking out the expansion draft window

then moving a quality goalie asset for a lesser goalie who can be exposed for this draft

could be good asset management on one level

but, if the downgrade ensures seattle does not pick a goalie

and it ensures they take another player, and the team is stuck with this lesser goalie

it is then questionable about what or any asset management savings may have occurred

it is a gamble, as seattle may decide they do not want demko even if he is exposed for the draft

(and this assumes that he is still a nuck goalie as he needs to be re-signed before the draft - maybe he will refuse to if he knows he will be exposed)

if you are looking out yet another window

the consideration is whether the nucks in fact have 2 starting goalies

and excess assets at this position which would ultimately result in too much salary being committed to this position

and likely also unhappy goalies who may ultimately both want to be starters

the team is not there yet and is likely 2 more seasons away from having this be an issue

and it is only an issue if both goalies are re-signed - marky at season's end

demko, who is a rfa, at the end of next season (but would he re-sign then if he knows he'll be exposed to the draft??)

until both of these goalies are re-signed the team does not have an issue

so those urging movement of one of them sooner then later

are a bit premature

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

who are the other teams in the league who stand to lose a tender in the ed? 

Off the top of my head, possibly Washington (if they re-sign Holtby this season), Pittsburgh (if Jarry continues playing well and Murray is re-signed), Dallas (if Khudobin is re-signed and Seattle wants some vet experience), and Phoenix. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I'll go as far as to say that the Markstrom injury will be a blessing in disguise when it's all said and done.  My man Thatchy D is taking the reigns and that'll save some cap in the offseason.

Well Demko has just been given a HUGE opportunity.

I hope he kicks butt and excels.  We will all see soon enough.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Solid road win for Demko.  I think he made 37 saves last night.:towel:

Great game for him. Now the question will be consistency. There's a reason he's at only a .906 save percentage. A consistent Demko would be huge for us.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Great game for him. Now the question will be consistency. There's a reason he's at only a .906 save percentage. A consistent Demko would be huge for us.

So much talk about being more structure in front of Demko, that didn’t look very structured but he got it done for us

6 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

This guy is not ready to be a number 1 goalie and that is easy to see. 

Fortunately, that's not what's expected of him currently. He may not be ready now, but give him some time and we'll see how he develops.

• Cheers 2

As fans we need to rally around Demko. I know there’s still a couple road games left but to the fans that go to the home games, get loud for him.

I said before he needs another year as a backup but he’ll get us some wins down the stretch guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

As fans we need to rally around Demko. I know there’s still a couple road games left but to the fans that go to the home games, get loud for him.

I said before he needs another year as a backup but he’ll get us some wins down the stretch guys.

Agreed. Too many “fans” calling him horrible and calling for him to be traded after 1 bad game. He’s not meant to be a starter we all know that, but he’s our best goalie with Marky out so rally behind him and let him grow without calling for his head.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1