The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not horribly, but his save percentage was .906 during those 8 games, which is a bit below league average. I think a lot of fans including myself were hoping he'd become the next Cory Schneider and steal the show, but instead he was just mediocre.

The team in front of him wasn't playing out of this world either for the most part.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Demko is very close to be a #1 starter at the NHL level. He reminds me of Markstrom before he become the Marky Markstrom today.

Yeah he's not very close unless you consider very close 3+ years away. He's only got 34 games started as experience. Marky had 96 games started as a back up before he became a starter and he didn't break out as a great goalie till a couple years after he became a starter.

So we're a ways away from Demko reaching that sort of level. Thankfully we have Marky in the meantime.

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah he's not very close unless you consider very close 3+ years away. He's only got 34 games started as experience. Marky had 96 games started as a back up before he became a starter and he didn't break out as a great goalie till a couple years after he became a starter.

So we're a ways away from Demko reaching that sort of level. Thankfully we have Marky in the meantime.

He is a lot closer than that - He could battle for the starter job as early as next year.  I don't care about games played in their respected careers.  Team will have to play better defensively whoever is in net when hockey resumes regardless.  

On 5/14/2020 at 4:43 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

11 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He is a lot closer than that - He could battle for the starter job as early as next year.  I don't care about games played in their respected careers.  Team will have to play better defensively whoever is in net when hockey resumes regardless.  

Based on what we saw at the end of the year, he's not quite there yet, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's that far. Marky took so long that most of us figured he would never make it--I think he's a bit of anomaly making it after such a long period of struggling to be a #1. There's a chance Demko improves a lot next year and is fighting for a #1 spot, but he'll be in tough to take starts from Markstrom the way he's played the last season and a half.

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He's not making that big of a jump next year. Marky is playing at an elite level and Demko wasn't.

Demko was playing as expected. A young back up. If you think he can compete for a starting spot next year you're setting a bar too high for him to reach.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's not making that big of a jump next year. Marky is playing at an elite level and Demko wasn't.

Demko was playing as expected. A young back up. If you think he can compete for a starting spot next year you're setting a bar too high for him to reach.

For me (I know you quoted Tre Mac, not me), I don't so much as except Demko to fight for the starting role as I think it's possible. If I was a betting man, I'd expect him to play maybe 25 games as a backup, but not take over. That said, I do see a less likely world where he does see dramatic improvement and plays closer to 30 or 35 games.

Just now, -AJ- said:

For me (I know you quoted Tre Mac, not me), I don't so much as except Demko to fight for the starting role as I think it's possible. If I was a betting man, I'd expect him to play maybe 25 games as a backup, but not take over. That said, I do see a less likely world where he does see dramatic improvement and plays closer to 30 or 35 games.

I am not anti-Demko if it feels I am coming across as that. I just think it'll take time which is fine.

Given the fact that Marky and the team are better than Ryan Miller when we signed him Demko is in a better environment than Marky was. Demko is not gonna be good his first few years as a starter if we just throw him in. It's a learning curve. Marky we threw into the wolves and it took until his 3rd year as a starter, this year, to become a great starter. Miller definitely helped Marky but Miller never played at an elite level and the team wasn't good.

The succession I see is it gradually being split 50/50 as Marky gets older. I am talking 3-4 years from now. Giving us a solid tandem down the line, akin to Schneider/Luongo, for a short time till we need to move on from Marky. By Demmer will be in his late 20s and hopefully ready to become a great starter and we will have a new goalie that would succeed him eventually(DiPeitro?)

I think we make a side deal with Seattle to keep both goalies. The goal is to always have a master and an apprentice. A healthy goalie cycle and we have a chance to create that after a weird 2013-18 of goalies(Luongo/Lack/Nilsson/Miller). It'll be good to have some consistency and solidity between the pipes as we're getting good.

• Cheers 1

So I’m sure this has been covered but just wondering with the expansion draft if a team only has one goalie signed through the 21-22 season do they have to expose one?

Since Demko is not currently signed through 21-22 he couldn’t be exposed right? Does that mean we’d have to expose Markstrom or could we expose neither?

What if a team doesn’t have any goalies signed through 21-22?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

So I’m sure this has been covered but just wondering with the expansion draft if a team only has one goalie signed through the 21-22 season do they have to expose one?

Since Demko is not currently signed through 21-22 he couldn’t be exposed right? Does that mean we’d have to expose Markstrom or could we expose neither?

What if a team doesn’t have any goalies signed through 21-22?

Don't think there is much choice.  They would have to find someone to expose or who knows perhaps the league steps in and does it for us which would be worse.

Likely the team brings back Louis Domingue for the purposes of exposing him or another veteran goalie.

48 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Don't think there is much choice.  They would have to find someone to expose or who knows perhaps the league steps in and does it for us which would be worse.

Likely the team brings back Louis Domingue for the purposes of exposing him or another veteran goalie.

So if the Canucks had Markstrom signed, Demko unsigned as an RFA, technically they could sign a goalie to a multi year contract just to expose him and then waive him if he’s not claimed?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

So if the Canucks had Markstrom signed, Demko unsigned as an RFA, technically they could sign a goalie to a multi year contract just to expose him and then waive him if he’s not claimed?

“One available player must be a goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or who is a restricted free agent having received a qualifying offer from his team” 

Edited by qwijibo

22 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

“One available player must be a goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or who is a restricted free agent having received a qualifying offer from his team” 

What happens if we don’t qualify him? 

When is the deadline for qualifying vs the expansion draft?

Edited by DeNiro

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I suspect we'd be penalized for breaking the rules, unless we had some sort of third-string goaltender that would qualify as our exposed goalie.

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He could still be picked by Seattle and they'll just qualify him themselves.  Every player that is not protected or exempt is exposed and available to be picked by Seattle.    Canucks would need to find another goalie to meet their minimum exposure requirements.  

Having at least 1 goalie qualified or under contract is a requirement for exposure.  Teams can't just leave UFA goalies or goalies who have not been qualified exposed.  At least 1 goalie exposed has to be under team control.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

On 5/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Demko's not that young, he has over 100 AHL games under his belt as well. He could certainly split time with a veteran goalie next year if e.g., Marky gets a UFA offer that we can't match, which is possible.  I don't see it as much different from how Marky split time with Miller in their last year together. 

I could see Calgary e.g., throwing a lot of money and term Marky's way, more than we'd want to do. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Demko's not that young, he has over 100 AHL games under his belt as well. He could certainly split time with a veteran goalie next year if e.g., Marky gets a UFA offer that we can't match, which is possible.  I don't see it as much different from how Marky split time with Miller in their last year together. 

I could see Calgary e.g., throwing a lot of money and term Marky's way, more than we'd want to do. 

Nevertheless he's more inexperienced that Marky was when we got Miller. Also how long did it take Marky to become a great starter after years of being a backup? Not until his third year as a starter. This is Demko's 1st year as a backup, he's a ways away from being a starter.

We lose Marky next year we probably aren't a playoff team. Demko and whom'ever we'd sign won't be nearly as good enough to carry us.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nevertheless he's more inexperienced that Marky was when we got Miller. Also how long did it take Marky to become a great starter after years of being a backup? Not until his third year as a starter. This is Demko's 1st year as a backup, he's a ways away from being a starter.

We lose Marky next year we probably aren't a playoff team. Demko and whom'ever we'd sign won't be nearly as good enough to carry us.

Just spit balling here but...

What if we put some of that goalie money we saved towards a D upgrade at the same time...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Just spit balling here but...

What if we put some of that goalie money we saved towards a D upgrade at the same time...

Even a better idea.... why don't we use the money to re-sign Markstrom and try to add a defenseman?