The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Minor issue that he can play through with little to no impact, he'll just have to take care of it eventually.

you pointed this out yesterday i believe but i want to reiterate: there are such thing as minor injuries and surgeries. i think people hear the word surgery and assume the worst. a lot of these surgeries don't require much of an incision anymore. medicine has come a long way; i think a lot of people here would be surprised.

you pointed this out yesterday i believe but i want to reiterate: there are such thing as minor injuries and surgeries. i think people hear the word surgery and assume the worst. a lot of these surgeries don't require much of an incision anymore. medicine has come a long way; i think a lot of people here would be surprised.

True, the procedure is being more and more common, with shorter recovery windows too. Excited to see him build on his great freshman year at BC, and then watch him as the US's number 1 at the WJC

with all the talk of goalies starting out in the pros later i decided to check on what age goalies from the first 2 rounds usually start. i found tbhat majority of them end up in the nhl at the age of 20. price gibson brodour lou jake allen etc i wonder if demko could be ready in a couple of years he was ranked to go in the 1st round rthis year

Very true.

As per this story, the Jets drafted goalie Eric Comrie last year under very similar circumstances:

Hip procedures for goalies are increasingly common, relatively easy and successful a vast majority of time. Goalies are recovering more quickly every year, and some are adamant they have gained both flexibility and strength in the hips after full recovery.

It’s a point Eddie Lack kept making when he showed up at training camp in the fall, fully recovered from his own hip surgery.

Jonas Hiller has called the surgery a “non-issue.”

When it comes to the draft, that kind of knowledge can be a pretty significant advantage.

Eric Comrie had surgeries on each hip six days apart in January 2013. He was back on the ice in June. He then seemed to slide a bit in the 2013 NHL draft. Ranked No. 2, three goalies were drafted before the Winnipeg Jets took him with the 59th overall pick.

Comrie now looks like one of the steals of the draft. Comrie returned this season and put up a .925 save percentage.

Demko knows Comrie and his story well.

“He had the same thing and he recovered and clearly it worked out for him,” Demko said.

I'm really excited about this pick and I think we've found our next number one goalie. This guy is that good.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Botchford+hazard+Canucks+drafting+goalie+Thatcher+Demko/9985638/story.html

• Upvote 4

probably the athleticism, calmness in net, efficient movement, and acceleration of his career already

His size doesn't hurt either, 6'3, could end up being 6'4, add all of athleticism, poise, positional strength, I think we got a winner :towel:

Edited by Glory_Days