The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Next coming of Hedberg?

You think Demko will be the next Hedberg?

Possible. But with any prospect, let's hope not! Hoping for good development in the next couple of years, so that he does become the Canuck's eventual #1 goalie in the future.

For an organization that has been known as being the goalie graveyard. We're not in bad shape actually. And considering we've jettisoned two of the more prolific goalies in our recent history in Luo and Schneids. Yeah, not bad.

Miller. Lack. Markstrom (for now). Demko, and Ericksson. Not bad. Cannata, I don't see ever making it to the NHL. but he's good organizational goalie depth.

still better than Honzik.

I think had Honzik played in any league but the QMJHL he would have developed way better. He had all of the raw skills needed and really impressed with his pure athleticism.

Demko is hands down the better prospect than Honzik ever was though

Edited by Joel Heyman

I think had Honzik played in any league but the QMJHL he would have developed way better. He had all of the raw skills needed and really impressed with his pure athleticism.

Demko is hands down the better prospect than Honzik ever was though

I agree. I thought he would have been better off playing in the Czech league to be honest.

He was on a horrible team, which didn't help his confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone be in favor of trading Thatcher for Malcolm Subban. Since Rask is 27 years old and in his prime. Thatcher will 18 years old and will be in his prime in 7 years which makes Rask 34 years old. Peaking out at this age or so.

Malcolm is 20 years old and Miller will be pasted his prime, Malcolm could be step in at 34-25 years old.

On the plus side, having Jordon and Malcolm on the same team will give PK and out to join his brothers on the same team.

Well, that's my dream. LOL

I know about his NCAA experience, it was referenced in my post.

Perhaps I didn't articulate it properly, what I meant to say is that his lack of available ice in the off season has been a hindrance to him. That perhaps if he were anywhere North of California he would have more practice of mastering his craft in his youth. I say this only because Demko has said so himself, from various interviews and his blog posts. My thoughts are that despite the uphill battle of learning hockey in California, he's still a very good goalie. Perhaps with more ice and practice comparative to a Canadian kid, he would have been further ahead in his development.

Australia has outdoor ice rinks right on the ocean.

There is no shortage of ice in California. Off season or not.

Anytime the kid wanted to get on some, he could.

Demko article posted earlier on NHL.com about his recent struggles:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=727808&navid=M_DL%7CNHL%7Chome

He was the 3rd goalie last year for the WJC, behind 2 graduating guys. He's been groomed by USA Hockey to be the starter this year, and will have to have an abysmal showing in all of these camps to lose their trust. Nedeljkovic would be a good option, but Demko has the benefit of the doubt

The article sounds a lot like Schneider and his struggles with the Moose, he was also a goalie that had always been the best. If Demko responds the same way Schneider did and elevates himself we could have something special waiting in the wings for when the rookies hit their prime.

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

The Americans cut 15 players this morning - no goalies released, #Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko still at camp.

Demko has had rough start - in parts of three games, he's allowed eight goals on 27 shots.

U-S goalie coach Mike Ayers on #Canucks draft pick Thatcher Demko at U-S Camp, "I think he's underachieved so far,".

We'll see what's going on as it gets closer to the actual tourney, but I'd think unless there's an obvious reason to drop him the US selectors will wait and see who steps up over time.

EDIT: And a little more:

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports 48m

Just talked with U-S goalie coach Mike Ayers about #Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko's slow start at the U-S junior camp.

Ayers says "Demko has been ok, trying to work out the kinks, will be better by the end of the week".

Ayers says the hips are not an issue with Demko, he's moving extremely well, just a matter of getting confidence going.

Ayers says the coaching staff, "not waivering in confidence when it comes to Demko".

Edited by elvis15