The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

of course he is, NCAA rules state he can't receive any gifts from the canucks (including hats and the like) so for a poor college student, i'm not surprised he's wearing one of his old hats.

So college players can't wear the logo of the team they have been drafted too, but are free to wear ones for other teams? A bit of a weird rule...

of course he is, NCAA rules state he can't receive any gifts from the canucks (including hats and the like) so for a poor college student, i'm not surprised he's wearing one of his old hats.

If i'm not mistaken that has more to do with the schools are not allowed to give kids gifts to entice them to enrol in there school. They have no reason to not allow canucks not to give there own player gifts. It would be no different than a company giving a kid a signing bonus before he's graduated.

Pretty sure Demko already has a Canucks hat (and jersey)

2014-NHL-Draft-Upper-Deck-Vancouver-Canu

Unless the Canucks asked for the jersey and hat back after they drafted him??

I highly doubt it.

If i'm not mistaken that has more to do with the schools are not allowed to give kids gifts to entice them to enrol in there school. They have no reason to not allow canucks not to give there own player gifts. It would be no different than a company giving a kid a signing bonus before he's graduated.

Close, but NCAA athletes aren't allowed to accept any sort of gift with monetary value, nor are they allowed to be paid for their likeness (autographs, used jerseys, etc.) As amateur athletes it's against NCAA rules for them to be paid off of what's essentially a raised level of celebrity because of the fact they play for a major university. It's completely different than a signing bonus with a company because Demko doesn't hold an NHL contract. If he signed one tomorrow, he would never be able to get back his NCAA eligibility.

This is why NCAA players miss training camp. It's considered a gift from their NHL team to bring them to camp and pay for whatever else teams traditionally pay for during camp. They could technically still come; but they would have to pay their own way.

I personally think the rules are completely based in greed on the NCAA's part but as Jared McCann would say, "It is what it is."

Edited by wshdrvvn

So college players can't wear the logo of the team they have been drafted too, but are free to wear ones for other teams? A bit of a weird rule...

If Demko went out and bought a Canucks hat, he can wear it all be wants.

If Vancouver gave Demko a Canucks hat, he can't accept it.

they can wear whatever they want to buy for themselves. some people just like their old hats.

also, just to be clear, my original comment was a joke.

Edited by avelanch

Demko with 23 saves with only 1 goal against with 4 mins left in the 2nd against Colorado College who isn't a very good team.

Boston College is going to a pretty solid team in years to come with Savage, Santini, McCoshen, Matheson, Tuch and Hanifin all playing there.

Edited by Plum