The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

On 2018-03-22 at 2:51 PM, Tre Mac said:

Demko remaining in Utica is fine but I really don't see the harm with management asking Demko if he would like a start before the NHL season ends as a reward for putting in the work this year.  One start and he can go back to the AHL and help Utica in the playoffs.  It wouldn't ruin his development or shatter his confidence one iota.  He gets a little payday, gets to see first hand the speed and skill of the NHL and it allows him to work that much harder in the offseason knowing he has what it takes to play with the big boys.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-reel-in-thatcher-demko-with-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity

Does this sound like someone that would get destroyed over one game?  Lol, some of you guys are way too paranoid about prospects playing in the big show.  Letting them marinate in the minors for too long can also stunt their development.  Point is every prospect is different and each one should be handled separately.  I realise at this point it is probably too late and again I said I am fine either way but posts like this:

is straight up ridiculous imo.

Ridiculous?  Have you been asleep for the last 15 years?  If he struggles, the press and fans will eat him alive.  Why subject him to that for nothing.  

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ridiculous?  Have you been asleep for the last 15 years?  If he struggles, the press and fans will eat him alive.  Why subject him to that for nothing.  

Agreed.  Management seems intent on letting the players develop without rushing them, and in no case is that more essential than with Demko. We have strong forward prospects and can find a way to get D, but in order for this team to be successful in the future we are kinda relying on Demko to be the real deal and I don't want anything to derail his development in any way.

As mentioned, his performance after the All Star break was absolutely brutal for about 10 games.  It appears he's just starting to come out of it, and the last thing he needs right now is to be thrown to the wolves in the bigs and then get lit up again.  Let him end his season on a high note and re-assess him next season.

Edited by kloubek

Demko needs to stay in Utica and focus on getting his team to the playoffs and thereafter.  The Comets are the team he's been backing for 2 years now and he should get a chance to support his teammates.

He's a young goalie who is still learning the pro game. If the Canucks want to see how he is doing against NHL players, they can bring him up during the early part of next season.  Bringing him up now, only the 'thrill' the impatient fans would be stupid.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

A few dozens of whiny ass trolls in front of the keyboard or who have TSN1040 on speed dial is not indicative of the entire fan base.  Even if every fan turned on Thatchy D, he is the one prospect that could take all that in stride which is why I brought up him majoring in psychology.  And it wouldn't be for nothing, it would give him valuable experience and that extra little kick to work hard in the offseason.

Face it, what you meant was if he struggles it'll give you the chance to eat him alive. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Glad they are at least exploring the possibility. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Demko needs to stay in Utica and focus on getting his team to the playoffs and thereafter.  The Comets are the team he's been backing for 2 years now and he should get a chance to support his teammates.

He's a young goalie who is still learning the pro game. If the Canucks want to see how he is doing against NHL players, they can bring him up during the early part of next season.  Bringing him up now, only the 'thrill' the impatient fans would be stupid.

They secured their playoff spot the night we beat the stars.

30 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Agreed.  Management seems intent on letting the players develop without rushing them, and in no case is that more essential than with Demko. We have strong forward prospects and can find a way to get D, but in order for this team to be successful in the future we are kinda relying on Demko to be the real deal and I don't want anything to derail his development in any way.

As mentioned, his performance after the All Star break was absolutely brutal for about 10 games.  It appears he's just starting to come out of it, and the last thing he needs right now is to be thrown to the wolves in the bigs and then get lit up again.  Let him end his season on a high note and re-assess him next season.

Demko helped Utica make the playoffs. A fitting reward would be a game or two before the post season. Would be good for him to see where he needs to round out his game. If he does well in stint here it could boost his confidence through the roof. I'm all for bringing him up if the team continues to compete like they have in the last 3-4.

Up to Clouts, Green, Johnson, bamugher and Benning.  A loss or two won't hurt the kid.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Demko helped Utica make the playoffs. A fitting reward would be a game or two before the post season. Would be good for him to see where he needs to round out his game. If he does well in stint here it could boost his confidence through the roof. I'm all for bringing him up if the team continues to compete like they have in the last 3-4.

Up to Clouts, Green, Johnson, bamugher and Benning.  A loss or two won't hurt the kid.

or he comes up, gets absolutely shelled in front of a completely decimated NHL lineup and goes into the playoffs with that on the back of his mind.  Why mess with things?

40 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Demko helped Utica make the playoffs. A fitting reward would be a game or two before the post season. Would be good for him to see where he needs to round out his game. If he does well in stint here it could boost his confidence through the roof.

I agree that it could be viewed as a reward and could be useful for him to know what he will be facing in the near future. If he does well it could indeed boost his confidence through the roof.

On the other hand, it's a double-edge sword. If he comes in and gets blown out, it could absolutely destroy his confidence and then he gets to stew through the entire offseason if he is even capable of performing at the level that is expect of him.

Do we really want to take that risk?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I agree that it could be viewed as a reward and could be useful for him to know what he will be facing in the near future. If he does well it could indeed boost his confidence through the roof.

On the other hand, it's a double-edge sword. If he comes in and gets blown out, it could absolutely destroy his confidence and then he gets to stew through the entire offseason if he is even capable of performing at the level that is expect of him.

Demko doesn't strike me as a guy whose confidence could be destroyed as a result of a loss, or who would sit around stewing for a few months afterwards. Plus there are 3 regular season games and the AHL playoffs remaining after the Canucks season ends.

Here's a scenario nobody has even entertained. What if he wins a game? :o

21 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Demko doesn't strike me as a guy whose confidence could be destroyed as a result of a loss, or who would sit around stewing for a few months afterwards. Plus there are 3 regular season games and the AHL playoffs remaining after the Canucks season ends.

If he wins his confidence will be TOO high and he won't work as hard in the off season. 

With Markstrom and Nilsson healthy, there is no real reason to being up Demko. Demko needs to focus on what's ahead for him in the playoffs. Plus Markstrom, other than a few blips, has been outstanding in March. Why cause controversy in either taking away from Markstrom's good play or overstepping Nilsson who we have signed for another year?

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I understand the reward aspect of it, but it just seems silly to mess with things.  It took AG 10 hours to get here, so likely the same for Demko to get here and then another 10 to get back after a hectic few days in Van.......think of the massive media attention he is going to have to endure.  Goalies are creatures of habit and ritual and going into his first professional playoff series, you want the Canucks to mess with that and then send him back exhausted on top of it?

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I understand the reward aspect of it, but it just seems silly to mess with things.  It took AG 10 hours to get here, so likely the same for Demko to get here and then another 10 to get back after a hectic few days in Van.......think of the massive media attention he is going to have to endure.  Goalies are creatures of habit and ritual and going into his first professional playoff series, you want the Canucks to mess with that and then send him back exhausted on top of it?

I wouldn't be upset if he didn't get a start, but I don't think the downside is as great as some people seem to think. Canucks last game is April 7th. Comets have an entire week after that until they play their final 3 games of the season on the 13,14,15th. Then the playoffs generally start Thursday or Friday of the following week. There's plenty of time for rest and recovery in there and they've already clinched a playoff spot, so unless they're dead set on chasing down that spot for 3rd in the division, I don't see the detriment.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

or he comes up, gets absolutely shelled in front of a completely decimated NHL lineup and goes into the playoffs with that on the back of his mind.  Why mess with things?

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I'm sure Travis will mention.. don't worry to much about a loss. Our team is heavily under manned and we are trying to battle through injuries. 

Of all People Thatcher a psych major should be able to handle it.  Al though I sympathize with your concern.

Edited by Rush17

49 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

With Markstrom and Nilsson healthy, there is no real reason to being up Demko. Demko needs to focus on what's ahead for him in the playoffs. Plus Markstrom, other than a few blips, has been outstanding in March. Why cause controversy in either taking away from Markstrom's good play or overstepping Nilsson who we have signed for another year?

It could be to get Markstrom motivated for a strong off season. He's confident now he can play the starter role and excel when the going gets tough.  

Bring in Demko to show him who's knocking to make him uncomfortable so he has the greatest off season of his career. It would help Markstrom stay focused and help Demko having a better equipped and prepared Markstrom for him to overcome. 

If demko wants it. I want him to outright steal it off of a goaltender who has only continued to elevate his game.  We ride them both for a bit.  If Markstrom rocks it. You flip him when demkos ready and run away with the return! 

Competition breeds success.  Let's get these guys both motivated and preparing for the most important off seasons of their careers. Markstrom to try and solidify himself as a #1 starter and demko trying to prove he is ready for backup duty. Send Nilsson down and bobs your uncle.

• Upvote 1

Oh boy am I excited for camp. We are going to have intense battles at every position!  Jim's been talking about wanting to get this depth. Now come summer/fall we are going to start seeing these heated battles begin.

:D even prospect development camp is going to be rocking.

16 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I don't think the downside is as great as some people seem to think. 

I don't think the upside is as great as some people think. I simply don't see the point.

Regardless of him playing well or bad it just gives the media/vocal whiners another thing to skewer the team with. Both our goalies are healthy, Markstrom is playing well in front of a decimated team and Demko has playoffs with the team he's spent all year with to prep for and a regular season to close out.

All calling him up accomplishes is to let a certain rabid faction of the fan base get their youth 'hit' and again, give media/whiners yet another angle to skewer. It accomplishes very little for the team or Demko.