The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

On 2018-09-03 at 5:05 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I really hope you turn out to be right about great goal tending....... it wasn't that many years ago that we thought that Markstrom was going to be the next Schneider or Luongo. I'll temper my expectations till both Demko and DiPietro have solid NHL seasons behind them

Who do you mean when you say ‘we’?  

I never thought Marky was the next Schnieds.  Don’t think many did, but ‘we’ had hopes he could.  He may yet reach another level, but any hope of him translating his AHL success to the NHL is all but gone. 

He might respond from some internal competitors, which he didn’t have last year, or he could just run around in a Dino suit...

On 2018-09-04 at 10:29 AM, SingleThorn said:

Markstrom and Demko have very similar pasts. Both early 2nd round picks ( both projected as late 1st rounders by some ). With Markstrom, the Canucks seem to have tried to follow the successful Schneider plan ( after being rushed a bit by Florida ). Demko has not received 100% rave revues in Utica. He is touted as being weak to his glove side. If that is a fair criticism, it will be exploited in the NHL. Be patient !

Markstrom and Schnieder took a lot longer to get to the level Demko is at now.  Mind you Lou was in the way for Cory. 

2 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I think most fans at the time, myself included, thought he could turn out to be a very good goaltender. As fans, most of us have high expectations for our prospects. How they turn out going forward may be another thing. If Marky can clean up some of his mental lapses, he could still turn out to be a solid goalie for the club. In response to your comment " I never thought Marky was the next Schneids" ; I made no mention of Schneider in my previous post and made no comparison between them either.

14 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I never thought Marky was the next Schnieds.  Don’t think many did, but ‘we’ had hopes he could.  He may yet reach another level, but any hope of him translating his AHL success to the NHL is all but gone. 

He might respond from some internal competitors, which he didn’t have last year, or he could just run around in a Dino suit...

14 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think most fans at the time, myself included, thought he could turn out to be a very good goaltender. As fans, most of us have high expectations for our prospects. How they turn out going forward may be another thing. If Marky can clean up some of his mental lapses, he could still turn out to be a solid goalie for the club. In response to your comment " I never thought Marky was the next Schneids" ; I made no mention of Schneider in my previous post and made no comparison between them either.

Markstrom will never likely be (and was he really expected?) a top 5 goalie. There's no reason he can't be a solid top 10-15 goalie in the league though. Maybe even top 10 if things go well

You have to keep in mind that last year was his first as an actual starter. To assume he 'is what he is' at this point would be folly IMO. Particularly as we just hired one of the best goalie coaches available back to the team.

That we have a solid prospect like Demko coming up is a luxury and IMO. They'll make a nice tandem with low pressure on Demko to come in and be the savior right away in the next couple years. Then eventually, we'll likely be able to move Marky and bring up DiPietro to play behind Demko once he has his footing and takes over as starter.

• Upvote 2

Corey Hirsch sees the same thing in Demko that I have been seeing.  He still has holes in his game that need to be fixed before he is NHL ready.  Thatch should turn into a solid NHL goalie but his development needs to continue before he is ready for full time NHL duty.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/hirsch-demko-still-room-work-game/

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Thatch should turn into a solid NHL goalie but his development needs to continue before he is ready for full time NHL duty.

I don't see us truly competing for a playoff spot this year, so it's not like we NEED that elite goalie right now.  Probably even next year isn't a big deal, so the kid has time.  The problem arises if he doesn't actually get to the level of an NHL goalie.  We've kinda been relying on him and though we have some other talent in the pipeline it will be years before they are either at the level or get a chance in the NHL.  So here's hoping that although Demko has issues in his game, hopefully he can figure it out inside the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Corey Hirsch sees the same thing in Demko that I have been seeing.  He still has holes in his game that need to be fixed before he is NHL ready.  Thatch should turn into a solid NHL goalie but his development needs to continue before he is ready for full time NHL duty.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/hirsch-demko-still-room-work-game/

Doesn’t every goalie have “Holes in their game” like seriously no goalie is perfect.... the really test is can the preform at the NHL level.

I'm a firm believer that he needs the opportunity to grow at the nhl level. One more season in the ahl should be plenty of time to work on the "holes" in his game, but he needs the opportunity to develop at the nhl level as well. 

On 9/13/2018 at 10:15 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Just took a look at NHL.com (Canucks 2018 roster) and interestingly, Demko isn't on it, but DiPietro is.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/roster/

Well, that does it then.   NHL.com has been picking opening day rosters for teams for years.   Too bad, was looking forwards to the coaches picking the team.    

Did Goldy make the team?   Lots of other threads can stop now with this news.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, TheHitman said:

I hope Demko is in the NHL this year. Is Michael Garteig still part of the Canucks system? Would love to see what he can do in the AHL. 

Garteig did not have a good season last year in Kalamazoo and was not offered a new contract.  He was a free agent all summer and I recently saw that he signed an ECHL contract with the Newfoundland Growlers.  Vancouver signed Ivan Kulbakov to an AHL contract as a replacement for Garteig. 

Garteig was called up to the Comets multiple times last year but never got into a game. 

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, UticaHockey said:

So does Nilsson and Markstrom lol. 

Rough outing for Demko against the Flames. I didn't think he played that well. I do love watching DiPietro play though, so entertaining, his style is like a throwback when goalies were smaller and relied on cat-like reflexes. Check your rearview Thatcher, DiPietro is on a mission.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 2