The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

• 3 weeks later...
  1. Demko wants to use his size better & he made sure he understood the way he has to play at the pro level rather than college." #Canucks

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Demko : "I want to be in the NHL but no rush. Just focus on my play, if I take care of that, I will be on the right track." #Canucks

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Demko on making Van : "It's a process, you can't rush things, it's gonna take time for me to get to the NHL level, I know that." #Canucks

0 retweets0 li

Retweet

More

Demko on his summer : " I tried to add strength for my 1st year of pro hockey, on the ice I worked on efficiency." #Canucks

0 retwe

Retweet

More

Goalie Thatcher Demko on his 1st Young Stars tournament in Penticton, "It's going to be fun to wear the #Canucks uniform for the 1st time."

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 4:03 PM, StraightFlush said:

I still can't believe Calgary took that other goalie over demko. Gonna have to look it up

*mason McDonald taken two picks before demko. 

Mason is playing in the ECHL with a GAA of 2.88

Thatcher playing his first pro AHL game, has a GAA of 5.40. haha 

He's going to be fine. As long as he's improving as the AHL season is progressing, I ain't worried. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He's going to be fine. As long as he's improving as the AHL season is progressing, I ain't worried. 

Ouch, rough start. I'm sure his numbers will pick up once he is settled in. I'm looking forward to following his season.

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. he just needs more time to season.  Anyone watch the game? curious how our d played.  Might just take the team half a dozen games to get settled in.

32 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

For those who thought Demko was going to step right into the AHL and dominate like he did in college it's time to reset your expectations. Its a big jump for goaltenders and Thatcher will be no exception. Then on top of it from what I saw from the Comets this weekend he doesn't have a very good team in front of him from the forwards down to the defense. I like what I saw in Demko's game but he will need a significant amount of development before he is a top level AHL goalie let alone a NHL goalie. Patience  will be required when discussing how Demko looks in his rookie season.

There are many new faces there...I expect if to take 10-20 games before things start shaping up down there.  Demko looks at least 2 years away from the NHL but that is usual for goalies anyway.

44 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

For those who thought Demko was going to step right into the AHL and dominate like he did in college it's time to reset your expectations. Its a big jump for goaltenders and Thatcher will be no exception. Then on top of it from what I saw from the Comets this weekend he doesn't have a very good team in front of him from the forwards down to the defense. I like what I saw in Demko's game but he will need a significant amount of development before he is a top level AHL goalie let alone a NHL goalie. Patience  will be required when discussing how Demko looks in his rookie season.

For sure.  Let's all remember that Schneids didn't make the jump until he was 24yrs old.  Now he's one of the top tenders in the NHL.  Can't believe he's 30 yrs old now.

As far as the rest of the team...looks like the cavalry will be coming next year.

4 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I didn't realize that, thanks Ihatetomatoes

Schneider also had a bit of an attitude problem that require Scott Arniel to pull him aside and give him a serious talking too. Shortly after this talk, Cory's play picked up and he made huge strides to becoming the goalie he is now.

As far as the current comets go, they take way too many penalties (gave up 7 powerplays one game, and 9 the other).

10 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Ouch, rough start. I'm sure his numbers will pick up once he is settled in. I'm looking forward to following his season.

yeah. me too :) 

it is his first game as a professional. it takes some time adjusting to the pro game even if it is against AHLers. they're still pretty good shooters. an upgrade over then NCAA players for sure.