The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

46 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Optimistic canucks fan. 

pessimistic canucks fan? lol 

i'm looking at the run that demko's been on, there's nothing to suggest that he won't be a number 1, bonafide goaltender for the Canucks. seems to have all the tools to be a good goaltender in the NHL. look on the bright side, man. 

I like his compete level in the net. Reminds me a bit of Quick. I think 1 more year in the A is probably enough. He'll need to show that consistency though. That's been lacking a bit this year. Should have a better team around him too. 

I watched the first period last night. Obviously demko was amazing. But what shocked me and I seen it mentioned on cdc yet is his puck handling.  He handles the puck alot. And he's damn good at it. Not like smith/Brodour alot but miles better than Luongo/Schneider 

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

I like his compete level in the net. Reminds me a bit of Quick. I think 1 more year in the A is probably enough. He'll need to show that consistency though. That's been lacking a bit this year. Should have a better team around him too. 

I think he's been consistently good when he's the number one goalie, but not so much when he's a backup just getting the occasional start.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I watched the first period last night. Obviously demko was amazing. But what shocked me and I seen it mentioned on cdc yet is his puck handling.  He handles the puck alot. And he's damn good at it. Not like smith/Brodour alot but miles better than Luongo/Schneider 

Bachman handles the puck a lot too. 

6 hours ago, Derp... said:

In all fairness his consistency had been excellent when Bachman has been either injured or called up. It's when he's not getting the majority of the ice time that he's 'struggled' and even then he hasn't been bad at all for a first year pro...he's not the same style of goalie as Schneider, plays a lot more like Quick but it's hard not to want to compare the two Boston College alumni....either way he's defiantly got great potential and I don't think it's a stretch to envision him as a future Vezina candidate...

Edited by JamesBlondage

10 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

He'll be better than Schneider. Bigger, stronger, faster. Future Vezina trophy candidate.  He has all the tools to be a top 5 goalie in the NHL. 

I am really high on Demko as well but I think it might be a stretch at this point to say he will be better than Schneider. I really hope you are right but we are talking about Demko being better than the goalie who has the best career save percentage in NHL history......those are pretty lofty expectations.

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I am really high on Demko as well but I think it might be a stretch at this point to say he will be better than Schneider. I really hope you are right but we are talking about Demko being better than the goalie who has the best career save percentage in NHL history......those are pretty lofty expectations.

Schneider has never won the Vezina, not even been nominated for the award.  Luongo has been nominated once I believe with the Canucks.  Demko will be nominated several times in my opinion and has a chance at winning the award.  Like I said he has a shot at being a top 5 goalie in the league and maybe better than that.  With our blueline set for the next decade he will have lots of help in front of him to accomplish that goal.  He will be playing in front of Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tanev, Sbisa, Brisebois.  We might even be able to trade Tanev with our depth to get a top 6 forward.  

Benning has built this team from the back end out.  Our goaltending and defense are pretty much done and set for the next decade.  We just need a couple elite forwards up front to replace the Sedins and we are set.  Getting a guy like Hischier would help tremendously, but it's a crapshoot to get a top 2 pick in this draft.  We will see.  Even Nolan Patrick could turn out to be a gem.  If not then Adam Gaudette could be that guy.  He could be a 1B with Bo in the middle.  We will see in the next couple years.

Edited by Harvey Spector

16 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

again? that's the 2nd stretch this year where he excels in the starter role.  

didn't he have a similar record when Bachman got hurt.  this kids gold.  thanks Calgary for taking Mason McDonald lol

10 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Optimistic canucks fan. 

Better moar than fewer.

7 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Glad to hear; can't remember the last time we had a good puck-handling goalie.  Schneider is still gift-wrapping freebies in NJ.

7 game winning streak when it matters most for the Comets with 7 goals against. Clutch goaltending and not getting a whole load of run support.

I was worried at the start of his AHL year but he's gotten better every single game. Give this kid a whole year in Utica next year as their starter, maybe bring Miller back because Markstrom is purely a stop-gap in between Miller and Demko. This kid is going to be the next Schneider and real deal. It'd be great if he got some playoff starts to see what real pressure is like but if he's this clutch when it matters most, we've got our playoff goalie.

Not many teams have a good clutch goalie like Demko in the system. Would hate to rush him into the NHL next year, he's nowhere near NHL ready but give him 1 full season as Utica's starter and we'll see the following year if he's ready for 30 NHL games.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

7 game winning streak when it matters most for the Comets with 7 goals against. Clutch goaltending and not getting a whole load of run support.

I was worried at the start of his AHL year but he's gotten better every single game. Give this kid a whole year in Utica next year as their starter, maybe bring Miller back because Markstrom is purely a stop-gap in between Miller and Demko. This kid is going to be the next Schneider and real deal. It'd be great if he got some playoff starts to see what real pressure is like but if he's this clutch when it matters most, we've got our playoff goalie.

Not many teams have a good clutch goalie like Demko in the system. Would hate to rush him into the NHL next year, he's nowhere near NHL ready but give him 1 full season as Utica's starter and we'll see the following year if he's ready for 30 NHL games.

WTH is going on down there?:o

That's crazy. We have half their top 6 playing for us right now, and this kid is breaking down the Berlin wall with his bare hands? 

Never mind Miller. I think he walks end/year because he won't (and shouldn't) be signed here for more than another year. At his level of play, somebody is going to sign him. That game last night was sick, He looked like freakin Hasek out there.

Markstrom will be 28 next year and still hasn't managed to nail down a starting position. Time is running out for him, and with Demko doing what he always seems to do when faced with a challenge - adjust and then excel - Marky better be looking over his shoulder.

At best I was hoping that Demko could erase the stain of losing Schneider, but it looks like that might even be setting the bar low. 

With regards to Demko needing more time. We'll see. Matt Murray played about 70 games in the AHL then got called up by the Pens and won a Stanley Cup at the ripe old age of 22.

Edited by darkpoet
  • Upvote 1