Drouin

Thatcher Demko Talk

2,727 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Beauty Save

+1

He's fuego.

question is. when Markstrom returns. do they ride the hot hand in Demko or does it go back to Bachman? 

and if they do switch and Bachman fails to get them in what does that do for the teams confidence. 

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

question is. when Markstrom returns. do they ride the hot hand in Demko or does it go back to Bachman? 

and if they do switch and Bachman fails to get them in what does that do for the teams confidence. 

They have to ride Demko, no way they can't with the way he's playing and how tight the standings are.

18 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

They have 4 sets of three games in a row to finish out the season.

At this point you gotta think Demko will get the first and third games while Bachman will get the 2nd game. He definitely gives them a better chance to win than Garteig right now.

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

They have to ride Demko, no way they can't with the way he's playing and how tight the standings are.

we both know they may though for political reasons. x_x I hope DeNiro is right.

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They have 4 sets of three games in a row to finish out the season.

At this point you gotta think Demko will get the first and third games while Bachman will get the 2nd game. He definitely gives them a better chance to win than Garteig right now.

I hope so.  could see we Markstrom sidelined for the remainder of the season though?  I have been crazier things.   is his injury day to day or week to week.

As a comparison as there are many similarities in their path's to the NHL and previous success in US College and the WJC

Cory Schnieder who we all loved first season in the AHL

36 gp

21 W (3 SO)

12 L2

2 T (yes they had ties back then!)

2.28 GAA

0.916 sv %

Thatcher Demko thus far

33 GP (2 SO)

16 W

11 L

1 SOL

2.57 GAA

0.909 sv%

If Thatcher pushes us into the playoffs his numbers will look very close to one hell of a goalie in his first year, and Thatcher had a tough patch in there mid year I believe.

I always look at save % and the quality of the team. Those matter most to me when evaluating goalies. GAA is more a team stat and even save % to a certain degree but clearly goalies have better control there.  However, if you're on a weaker team, other teams will get more and better looks leading to more goals.

Regardless, he seems to be having a solid start to his pro career. Let's hope they make the post season to get some more experience, then see him take the next step next year!

23 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I hope so.  could see we Markstrom sidelined for the remainder of the season though?  I have been crazier things.   is his injury day to day or week to week.

He's back skating but they're still testing him to make sure he's ready. We'll see him before too long I think.

But for Demko, he'll split games with Bachman once he's back. Bachman hasn't played as much so they'll ease him in but he did get back to playing a fair bit after Demko put up gaudy numbers while he was out injured earlier in the year. It may be more Demko by this point, but I still expect they'll use Bachman a fair bit if he plays well when he gets in and then look at moving to more starts for one come playoffs.

In his AHL starts in 2017 he's 10-3-1 with 2 SOs and a SV% of 0.930

If he can replicate and improve on that next year for Utica, he'll be ready to move up to the big club.

21 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Ryan Biech‏Verified account @ryanbiech  1h1 hour ago

With another win today, in his last 10 starts - Thatcher Demko is 9-1-0 with a 1.51 GAA, 0.949 SV% and 2 S/O

Had a rough start to his pro career this season but at this stage I expect him to confirm that he's too good for the AHL by mid next season.

"He's working with his glove hand and he seems quicker. He doesn't even feel like he's on right now." - Ben Birnell (Utica Comets reporter) on Demko

Posted (edited)

Despite being a tall goaltender, does anybody notice Thatch wears significantly smaller equipment than Markstrom? 

With his current setup he looks like a flashback to 1997.

But it's not just the gear, he simply plays his own hybrid style. He literally IS an oldschool goaltender. It's the San Diego thing again.

That's why I keep telling people to dismiss any Cory Schneider comparisons. Schneids was an ELITE technical goaltender who would literally refuse to make a movement that was not considered to be technically flawless. Demko is different - he stops the puck his own way and is extremely reactionary.

We DID have a goalie like that in our team's history, but his name was Roberto.

Watch when the puck goes behind the net on Thatch. He will commit a Canadian goalie's ultimate faux pas: turning around to face the net as the puck goes behind. 

Technically you're supposed to keep your back straight and just pivot your head/neck to look behind the net. This kid does not give a #$%@ about that kind of stuff. He knows what he has to do to stop the puck and is willing to do whatever it takes. He was compared to Rinne early in his career, and I agree with that comparison 100%. This is a battler that does not follow conventions but has extreme athletic ability and a serious hatred for letting pucks get behind him. 

All that said, he's still solid positionally and has a great looking butterfly, he just wasn't trained the same way Canadian goalies would have been.

Here, too much focus goes on the smaller details with goalie coaches (essentially nit picking), and not enough on the ultimate goal of not allowing any pucks past you at any time, no matter what.

Demko simply gets it.

Edited by nergish

4 minutes ago, nergish said:

Despite being a tall goaltender, does anybody notice Thatch wears significantly smaller equipment than Markstrom? 

With his current setup he looks like a flashback to 1997.

But it's not just the gear, he simply plays his own hybrid style. He literally IS an oldschool goaltender. It's the San Diego thing again.

That's why I keep telling people to dismiss any Cory Schneider comparisons. Schneids was an ELITE technical goaltender who would literally refuse to make a movement that was not considered to be technically flawless. Demko is different - he stops the puck his own way and is extremely reactionary.

We DID have a goalie like that in our team's history, but his name was Roberto.

Watch when the puck goes behind the net on Thatch. He will commit a Canadian goalie's ultimate faux pas: turning around to face the net as the puck goes behind. 

Technically you're supposed to keep your back straight and just pivot your head/neck to look behind the net. This kid does not give a #$%@ about that kind of stuff. He knows what he has to do to stop the puck and is willing to do whatever it takes. He was compared to Rinne early in his career, and I agree with that comparison 100%. This is a battler that does not follow conventions but has extreme athletic ability and a serious hatred for letting pucks get behind him. 

All that said, he's still solid positionally and has a great looking butterfly, he just wasn't trained the same way Canadian goalies would have been.

Here, too much focus goes on the smaller details with goalie coaches (essentially nit picking), and not enough on the ultimate goal of not allowing any pucks past you at any time, no matter what.

Demko simply gets it.

Yes, he does have Luongo in his athleticism, but I see more Marty Brodeur.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, he does have Luongo in his athleticism, but I see more Marty Brodeur.  

That thought has crossed my mind as well.

Power forwards get compared to Lindros, smart Dmen get compared to Lidstrom... when was the last time a goaltender drew legitimate comparisons to Marty?

I started playing goal in... 2000, I think? Marty Brodeur was already the benchmark at the point, and the entire time I was in minor hockey, he just led the way as the epitome of the goaltending position. He was such a treat to watch, every night. Amazing character too.

Like the Canadian goalie training I was mentioning, I was taught "no, you only do this move this way" or "only hold the post like this" or "don't be too aggressive" etc. etc.
And the whole time in my head I'm thinking... Marty doesn't care about this stuff and he's the best goalie on earth. Success at this position comes from an insatiable hunger to stop the puck, and being absolutely devastated by the thought of letting one past you.

It's not about executing movements (though, of course structure is your foundation, especially helping your averages over a long season), it's about stopping the puck. That's it.

Thatcher has that rare ability to just straight up lock it down for stretches. We've seen it from him now at every level.
The kid is legit.

Excited to see what he's like in the playoffs if the Comets can make it!

Demko or shestyorkin?

1 minute ago, numb3r 16 said:

Demko or shestyorkin?

Shestyorkin.

And that's no knock on Demko.  Shestyorkin is just ridiculous.