The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

d-man needs to be clearer on whether he wants demko to settle it or play it and how much time he has. that was a communication error that led the the fumble and the horribly unlucky double ricochet goal. as a d-man myself, I can say 100% that it was a lack of communication that led to that goal, not a goalie mishandeling the puck.

A goalie who is having trouble communicating with his defender should shoot it around the boards instead of letting it drift away into the possession of a Finland player while he's out of position.

Of course, this is something he's going to improve on as he develops. Technical things like this are easier to correct.

What I'm more concerned about is how easily he drifts out of position. That one play in overtime where he got saved by his defenseman was pretty brutal. Demko was nowhere to be found.

A goalie who is having trouble communicating with his defender should shoot it around the boards instead of letting it drift away into the possession of a Finland player while he's out of position.

Of course, this is something he's going to improve on as he develops. Technical things like this are easier to correct.

What I'm more concerned about is how easily he drifts out of position. That one play in overtime where he got saved by his defenseman was pretty brutal. Demko was nowhere to be found.

once demko and his d-men get used to each other the communication should be better. in BC demko probably normally just settles the puck for his d-man, and that d-man probably is used to his goalie playing it. they both need to communicate better and get on the same page.

as for the case of the wondering goalie, there has never been a goalie that has never been caught out of position before. it didn't really concern me, as he made a number of key saves before and after that to make up for it and then some.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 4

There is that classic CDC poster who didn't even watch the game and talks big after reading the stat sheet. Keep up your good work and hit up those stat lines.

Those two were glaring, but there were more.

He got the win, so that's really all that matters. But you saw what Husso was doing on the other end - stability and efficiency - I feel like Demko didn't have that tonight in his first game. He'll surely get better as the tournament progresses.

Demko looked really good, i don't think he looked shaky at all. Didn't play a flawless game, but he made some really nice saves when it mattered. Also, it's pretty hard to compare him with, say Husso, since their styles isn't even similar. Demko's got a very special goaltending style, i personally have a hard time comparing him with any goaltender in the NHL. Also, talking "stability and efficiency", Rinne is a goaltender who's quite floppy, but he's still making the saves, and is considered one of the leagues best goaltenders.

demko has lots of bad habits. he's got great reads when he's not so jittery though. will be interesting to see, as he develops, how he adapts to a more traditional goalie technique. maybe it takes away his edge, maybe is more of 'a natural' like tim t. still, its hard to be consistent night in and night out the way he plays.

so athletic though. he could be really special.

So a dman doesn't grab the puck and it's 100% the goalies fault? That goal is not stopped by anyone. Had that not happened it would have been a shutout.

watch it. Like really watch it. Without your goggles on. Demko went behind the net to control the puck. At this time the left defenseman had no choice but to take the forchecker out of the play. Demko never gained control of the puck like he intended to. If he had he would have passed it along to boards to the right defenseman. If he hadn't gotten out of his met to play the puck one of the defenseman would have retrieved it.

This isnt the end all be all. It was a poor play by him that resulted in a goal against. He rebounded nicely and looked to have a good game after resulting in a win.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

Demko getting rest today as he's the healthy scratch goalie. USA hockey giving Halverson the start, with Nedeljkovic backing up. I believe both are eligible to return next year so its a bit of an audition as well as making sure Demko will be good to go for the game tomorrow

You can't ignore that he bobbled it a little though, and that made everything a little harder from there. If the communication had worked he and the defenceman could have pulled out of it but it ended up being an even unluckier result.

• Upvote 1

lol goalie graveyard pressure on this kid early

It also should be noted that the same thing almost happened today versus Germany as Werenski forgot the puck when skating up and left it right next to the goal

He let in a goal in the World Juniors??? Total bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:picard: